• Suck.

9 39.13%
  • Not Suck.

14 60.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Poll] Trek XI

[Poll] Trek XI

What's your bet?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I say not, if only because I don't think it's a good thing to make a judgment like that based on the little information we've got. Give me a reliable plot synopsis and some good images, maybe some video, and I might change my mind later. But for now, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I don't like prequels.

I don't like messing around with the timelines.

I voted...

But I didn't vote for sucks, as I'm a true optimistic guy, as Roddenberry would have wanted us all to be

Like Patrick, I'm adopting a wait and see approach. As I'm much more a TOS fan than I am of the other series, the new film is much more of a sacred cow for me. Even so, I'm keeping an open mind. I'm not a big fan of J.J. Abrams, but at the very least he tends to deliver when it comes to premise, casting and initial storyline. Alias was excellent for most of its first two seasons. So was Lost, I am told.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Actually... I don't really like knowing about a movie before it airs. I know for instance that I will never be able to have a fully unbiased opinion of Nemesis on account of having nearly one year feeding on leaked scripts, debates, sneak previews, and basically reading a dozen reviews on a movie that wasn't released.

So I intend to keep knowing as little as possible as the next Trek movie. Therefore, any opinion I will form will have near to no solid base. You have been warned.

That being said... I'm not too fond of the TOS era, I'm not too fond of prequels, I'm not too fond of reimaging, I'm not too fond of Kirk. You do the math

That being said... I'm still curious to see Zachary Quinto playing a likeable character.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I really don't know - you should have a 'sitting on the fence' button
    Ta Muchly

I almost missed out on Babylon 5 because I listened to all the crap certain Trek fans were dumping on it when it first came out.

I never make the same mistake (forming an opinion before I actually see it for myself) twice.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    I almost missed out on Babylon 5 because I listened to all the crap certain Trek fans were dumping on it when it first came out.

I never make the same mistake (forming an opinion before I actually see it for myself) twice.
    Now you can not rewatch it ten years later for completely different reasons...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Basically I agree that one should not judge something unseen. But I still think it is possible to give an impression on the few information we still have.

Well I voted negatively for the following reasons:

"Rebooting" ST is in my opinion impossible. Attempts of making Trek open up for a larger/ new group of people failed in the past ( Nemesis ), so it is basically the fans they need, fans that gathered in 40 years! But that is the difference to the franchises of other series/ movies. Galactica was only there for a short period of time, while ther still was a fanbase it was rather small.
    The universe/ story of Star Trek has been developed for forty years and the fans loved it. I don't think it is possible to redo it and expect the same response. The fans will complain about pretty much everything ( I know I'll do ), canonwise, and the non-fans will probably ignore it because its Star Trek - "Freakshow".
    Most things we heard of up to now are infos about cameo appearances and I think there are far to many. The story seems to be inconsistent ( why kill Kirk and not Cochrane? Or change a major event in Trek history? ) and the many cameos wont help that I fear and I also think in this case it is wrong to do the whole secrecy stuff - because of the lack of feedback. And I think feedback would be very important on such a daring endeavor to recreate a universe and have the same people like it.
    They should have incorporated the fans more, e.g. have several Enterprise designs and have the fans vote about them. Things like that.

Unless the trailer will be very bad, I plan to actually watch the movie, but I am not sure if it will be Star Trek for me.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Quote Originally Posted by Evan van Eyk View Post
    They should have incorporated the fans more, e.g. have several Enterprise designs and have the fans vote about them. Things like that.
    Eurrgh. Fanships. The DOOMinator Class USS Aniliator* with 435 Type MCMLXVII Pha5orx!!

* (spelled wrong intentionally)

Sad but true... creating something that will make a majority of fans happy is like trying to get 1000 cats to all dream the same dream at the same time.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I'm sorry but yes, I saw the last fan competition and frankly it was AWFUL. Please, lets just let the professional artists get on with it

Enterprise was awful only because of the leadership at the time, with any luck it won't be anything like that.

On the other hand I really hope they don't massively crack continuity in some desperate, fan pleasing (yet ironically it won't be!), act to call whatever ship they are on, the Enterprise!

Well, unless it's some sort of weird alternate timeline, but I'm not really happy about that idea either!
    Ta Muchly

Not going to vote here. I want it to Not-Suck, and know that I will watch it.

But to cast judgment at this early stage, its far far too early, unless of course you have a reliable method of viewing the future, and then.... What the hell are you doing here, when you should be sharing next weeks lottery numbers (UK lottery for me)
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Everything I've read so far from Abrams and company gives me the impression that they will respect the continuity and history of Star Trek, with only minor tweaks to update the SFX for modern audiences. They aren't, to my knowledge, pulling what Ron Moore did to BSG. That would be an outrage (and, despite how well-written the new BSG is, I don't watch it because it doesn't have the spirit of the original BSG).

Of course, TOS is my favorite era and, unlike others, I have no problems with prequels (yes, the first two seasons of Enterprise were painful, but, if I recall correctly, so were the first two seasons of TNG and DS9, and most of the seasons of VOY...the difference was the intolerance of the fans and the ineffectiveness of the Paramount Network). So, yes, I'm definitely giving the movie a chance, and I expect to enjoy the heck out of it.

I don't mind people being skeptical, but at least give the movie a chance. If I can give Voyager a chance, I'm sure that you can do the same for a proven producer/director who loves the franchise.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Hey, there's no option for "cautiously optimistic". I like Abrams, I like TOS, I like the actors they got for the various roles. This might not be bad.

Then again, I'm also of the opinion that Trek really needs to lie fallow for a few years and then get a full reboot like Marvel and DC occasionally do. There gets to be a point where there's so much continuity that it's a burden.
    "Guy, you have a last name."
    "Do I?! DO I?! For all you know, I'm 'Crewman Number Six'!"

My half-assed d20 Trek homebrew.

Oh, I just realized that the same guys that wrote the "script" for Transformers are the ones that wrote Star Trek - which does not brighten up my sceptical views. I would really not like the whole continuity to break up, if maybe only because I invested so much time in Star Trek as it is.

Objectively it is funny to see me on the other side here, compared to BSG, where I am a fan of the new series and do not quite get, why the old ones complain.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11