Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: [CODA] Star Trek RPG 2nd Edition (done by us :))

Yep, some of those older takes on things were good. Personally I liked Diane Duane's Rihannsu stuff too. A more interesting take on Romulans than the way the shows seem to treat them ... nice rich history and language, and not all black haired with the same severe haircuts and sudden development of brow-ridge things that Vulcans lack.

Every now and then I feel ambitious and think I'll revamp ICON with what I like from CODA & FASA ... then I realize how daunting a task that is !!!

I'd like to to redo character generation, as I mentioned somewhere before, doing away with command branch and redoing some other stuff (security & tactical having different skills and being seperate), some skills not being subject to specializations and done more like the language skill ... history, culture and world knowledge come immediately to mind ... and a starship system more like CODA's ...

Maybe one of these days ...

Quote Originally Posted by RealPity View Post
    Yep, some of those older takes on things were good. Personally I liked Diane Duane's Rihannsu stuff too. A more interesting take on Romulans than the way the shows seem to treat them ... nice rich history and language, and not all black haired with the same severe haircuts and sudden development of brow-ridge things that Vulcans lack.

Yeah, I liked most of her stories too.

Quote Originally Posted by RealPity View Post
    Every now and then I feel ambitious and think I'll revamp ICON with what I like from CODA & FASA ... then I realize how daunting a task that is !!!

I'd like to to redo character generation, as I mentioned somewhere before, doing away with command branch and redoing some other stuff (security & tactical having different skills and being seperate), some skills not being subject to specializations and done more like the language skill ... history, culture and world knowledge come immediately to mind ... and a starship system more like CODA's ...

Maybe one of these days ...

I've been tempted to do something similar with CODA starships. MAybe even revernge engineer some of it for ICON. I awalys wasnted to redo the tables with things like the PB-31, LN-60s, and RIM-12C stuff. I'd also wanted to go with indiviudal weapons rather than halving the weapons.

It's been awhile for me on the Trek boards so I'll throw my credits in. If a group you decide on expanding or improving on CODA, I would suggest starting with my BSR. IMO I broke the system down into manageable chapters dealing with different aspects of the system (char development, stats, core mechanic, etc.). I know I probably got out of hand in some places making the system more universal (able to handle medeival, modern, and futuristic settings, fantasy to supers to starships), but I did annotate where I changed things from what is established in both games, made sure as much of the system en toto was represented, and expanded on ideas that I had and those that floated around here and the DEC boards. There are a few places that need updating such as the mass combat system incorporated and make it cohesive between units of men to units of tanks or jets to wings of starships, anything new out of Paths of the Wise, Mirror, Mirror, Isengard, and Worlds. There may even be some aspects from my Harry Potter game that could be of help.

If you want to design your own game or base it off what's in the BSR, a wiki would be a good place to start as it could manage more of the collaborative work.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

GoB,

THe BSR is an excellent starting point if people decide to do a CODA 2.0.

But there hasn't been much activity in this thread. A few people have started doing some solo projects but otherwise it looks pretty dead in the water, err-vacuum.

For me, honestly, it'd be for ICON anyways, borrowing the good from CODA

I know the feelig. Part of the discusiion was to decide if we wanted to do CODA, an revised version, or something else. Maybe even an ICON/CODA hybrid. Overall I prefer ICON to CODA but CODA does address some of ICON's problems. It alos have problems of it's own.

The reason why I anted to get some sort of consensus was to see what most people here wanted to see. If 90% of the people wanted ICON, CODA, FASA, PD, or GURPS, that would have been the direction to go in. Even writing up Trek for an open RPG had some merit, since it would mean the system would be independant and not as liable to go up into vapor.

FATE/ SotC has some nice stuff, like Declarations, and EABA has a game system that has some stuff in common with both CODA and ICON.

Well I'm in the CODA camp if you couldn't already tell
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfOfBorg View Post
    Well I'm in the CODA camp if you couldn't already tell
    Wow! Warn me when you are going to throw a curve ball.

I'm sticking with CODA as well. One of the things that always bothered me about ICON was the cap of 6. CODA's cap is 12 (for skills at least) and so you have twice the differentiation between scores and thus characters. I like the "damage" this system to buck up that system of CODA's starship combat/operations, but I'm trying to convert everything to FASA's Starship Tactical Combat Simulator (which is a chore because I am redesigning all of the vessels from scratch so I don't have Next Gen ships running around with triple digits for Total Power. I like using the Command and Control panels and without downscaling everything, the most advanced vessel the panels can handle is an Enterprise class ship. Ah, the wonders of having too much to do and not the time to do it...)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Macek View Post
    I'm sticking with CODA as well. One of the things that always bothered me about ICON was the cap of 6. CODA's cap is 12 (for skills at least) and so you have twice the differentiation between scores and thus characters. I like the "damage" this system to buck up that system of CODA's starship combat/operations, but I'm trying to convert everything to FASA's Starship Tactical Combat Simulator (which is a chore because I am redesigning all of the vessels from scratch so I don't have Next Gen ships running around with triple digits for Total Power. I like using the Command and Control panels and without downscaling everything, the most advanced vessel the panels can handle is an Enterprise class ship. Ah, the wonders of having too much to do and not the time to do it...)
    Ah. A couple of possiblities for the tactical simular conversion:

1) You could reduce the stats to half or 1/3rd the normal vaule when TNG era ships are around. There was the simple introductory system where all stats were one third the "advanced" value.

2) You could just dump power allocation and go with systemr atings like in CODA. Just do a conversion like "X" POWER = A code, "Y" Power = B code and so forth.