Thread: Cloverfield: Rise of the Spoilers

Cloverfield: Rise of the Spoilers

Saw Cloverfield last night: it's a pretty good movie, a different perspective (I call it bottom up) on the classic 'monster attacks city' movie.

What worries me is that I might not have gotten all the stuff about the movie I was supposed to. From what I understand, there was a massive viral video campaign that I only caught the tail end of. There were fake sites for fake groups, bogus news footage, and a japanese beverage that was totally made up.

Also, thanks to my sniffing around various sites, I found a hint about the end of the movie. When they show Coney Island at the end, keep watching the upper right of the screen; what you see will make one of Hud's theories about the monster a little more credible.

Please feel free to share your thoughts; this is a better place to discuss movies then the imdb message boards- the trolls and flamers really ruin a good movie discussion.

Oh yeah, it also had the Star Trek teaser trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    When they show Coney Island at the end, keep watching the upper right of the screen; what you see will make one of Hud's theories about the monster a little more credible.
    Can you spoiler this? I saw the movie but missed that bit of it.

I loved this film to death. It's great to see the Blair Witch shaky cam done right and with a big budget. It really gives a scale to the city-destroying Godzilla types that's often lacking in these sorts of films.
    "Guy, you have a last name."
    "Do I?! DO I?! For all you know, I'm 'Crewman Number Six'!"

My half-assed d20 Trek homebrew.

Well, since you asked, I will provide.

In the background of the shot, you see an object fall into the ocean, making a sizeable splash.

What this means though is up in the air. It would seem that the 'it came from outer space' theory is correct, but some of the net people who found all of JJ Abrams online 'backstory' stuff say that it was a Japanese satalite that fell to earth and ended up near the monster, that was sleeping on the ocean floor. The attempts to retrieve the satalite woke the monster, and it attacked NY.

Oh, and some other theories have the monster being the source of the fictional beverage Slusho...???

Hope that helped...

Huh. That's pretty cool.

Can't wait until it comes out on video so I can actually pause and frame-advance some of it.
    "Guy, you have a last name."
    "Do I?! DO I?! For all you know, I'm 'Crewman Number Six'!"

My half-assed d20 Trek homebrew.