Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Any System) The Triangle

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Aside from Cogenitor, were there any other decent episodes in 1 and 2?

The dialogue started to ease from an 11 to a 6 or 7 on the excruciatingly bad meter. This probably had something to do with Sussman taking over from B+B in season 4.
    I liked season 4, and not really. There were a few stand-outs in season 3, like Similtude, but for me the rest of it was barely watchable, whereas at least 1 and 2 had been.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Isn't it ruled by cat-people?
    The WYN Cluster is the home of Kzinti, Lyran, and Klingon refugees, so yes, there are cat people, along with Klingons and Klingon subject races. Whether you like the species in the setting isn't the point of what I was saying though. I brought the WYN Cluster up as an example of where there were good reasons in the form of some sort of natural barrier as to why it stays neutral and is able to do so despite being surrounded by various great powers.

I think you're overexaggerating the state of affairs between the three major powers, and forgetting that there's tons of smaller powers out there (like the Gorn, the Tholians, and governments that are in the 24th century part of the Federation), probably having treaties with multiple powers in order to maintain their position.
    I'm not over-exaggerating the state of affairs between the three major powers or forgetting anything. I brought up Nimbus III as a specific example, and mentioned only those three powers as only the Federation, Romulans and Klingons have anything to do with it in Star Trek V. Nimbus III exists because of a treaty between those three powers as some sort of joint government beacon of hope experiment. That it seems to be such an abject failure is amusing in Star Trek V, but probably not something that any of those three governments would be happy about in the long term. The continued existence of Nimbus III in the form we saw it in Star Trek V would be very hard to justify. Such considerations are probably significant if Nimbus III/a similar planet or region of space defined by political agreement between nearby powers was to become a major part of your campaign.

The region can't be a source of continual trouble, otherwise the powers involved would do something about it. If it is going to be a source of continual trouble in your campaign, you will need to consider what sort of balancing act needs to be maintained so that its continued neutrality is preferable to stopping it from being a source of continual trouble.

Additionally, the Orion Syndicate is a fourth 'major power' that has a vested interest in some non-aligned worlds remaining separate.

If anyone's looking for an independant sector to base their adventures in, the Rigel Sector is a good bet.
    Definitely!

I didn't like Enterprise either, but there were some salvageable stuff here and there. For example, my next play-gy-forum game will have Klingon augments stealing a Miranda-class and heading into the Triangle (which is the expanded, 24th-century version of the Borderlands) to contact Klingon separatists. The PCs will have to head there to recover the ship/capture the augments.

But I think I'll just make up my own version of the place, without resorting to the Triangle sourcebook, and use bits and pieces from the adventures published in the 'Beyond the Final Frontier' webzine.

Tchau!
    Superseeds #111: Victoria, part 3. And check out our Patreon!
    Writing: Death of a Swordsman (in The Duelist's Guide), Atlas of Earth-Prime: South America (RPG), and more
    Patchworld: Unisystem Amber (fan)