Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Romulan War Series

Size 7 or 8? Really? That's HUGE!

Remember, too, that the Romulans - while they've had interstellar flight for centuries - haven't necessarily had FTL flight for very long at all. Even if they've technically been in space for even the majority of that time, they're not necessarily the same Romulans that we've come to know in the 24th century.

On the other hand, I think that having a Size 7 juggernaut to back up their fleet might be entertaining, too. Maybe as a flagship in the war against humanity. Maybe just to see if they could build one.

Let me think on this one.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Hi

I've been reading and enjoying your thread on the Romulan War. I've long wanted to run a campaign set in this era as I think it has the potential to be an action packed series. Have you given any thought to the "pilot" episode? Would you have the crew ship be involved in the events kicking off the war or start the game with the war already underway?

Renny

My Romulan War Series began with a few teasers in my Star Trek: Poseidon Series. Attacks by "pirates" on Earth Cargo Authority vessels led to encounters with Nausicaans, but also with a couple different confrontations with Ket-Cheleb-class vessels.

The PC crew had close encounters with the same ship twice, but it cloaked and retreated without a single shot fired. It wasn't until they encountered a pair of Romulan ships near Beta Hydri that the fireworks started. The adversaries opened fire on Poseidon and seriously damaged their port warp nacelle, but allowed them to limp away before saturation bombing the human colony, destroying it.

This event - once shared with Starfleet Intelligence on Earth - was deemed Top Secret and was withheld from both mankind and Earth Starfleet in general. While the information was shared with Vulcan intelligence services, there was little the Vulcans could (or would) share in return.

The PCs were dispatched - along with representatives of Starfleet Intelligence - to explore Beta Hydri and investigate other other, similar attacks in the region. They managed to put together profiles of the various Romulan ships operating in the region, and even managed to install sensor systems capable of detecting cloaked ships (though not necessarily pinpoint their locations).

It wasn't until Poseidon - along with Intrepid and Dauntless (both Intrepid-class starships) - subdued a Ket-Cheleb-class warship near Zeta 2 Reticuli that things really started to heat up. Once the trio of Starfleet vessels disabled the Romulan ship and sent a boarding party via shuttlecraft (after repeated hails were ignored), the Romulan vessel's engines overloaded (the PCs suspected intentionally) and the ship was destroyed.

When this incident was reported to Starfleet Command via subspace radio, a large Romulan vessel - accompanied by three more Ket-Cheleb-class warships - decloaked within a few kilometers of the PCs' position!

The battle that followed was fast and brutal, and of the three Starfleet ships, only Poseidon managed to avoid heavy damage and escape. Because the Romulan ships possessed slower warp capability, they were unable to pursue. Intrepid and Dauntless, however, were not so lucky; both were destroyed and all hands presumably lost.

In 2156, the Romulan ships immediately began targeting human interests in the region, going so far as to blatantly attack human trading convoys, bomb Earth colonies, and destroy subspace radio relays. They even invaded a pair of human colonies using Reman and Nausicaan ground troops, taking scores of colonists back to Romulus, where they presumably faced torture and imprisonment.

An Earth Starfleet battle group - thirteen ships, including Poseidon, the NX-02 Columbia, the newly-built Andorian warship Te'Kumari, and the Vulcan D'Kyr-class combat cruiser Seleya) - managed to intercept the Romulan force in the Beta Virginis system, where they destroyed their capitol ship and two of the three Ket-Cheleb-class vessels. The remaining Romulan ship managed to cloak and escape, evading pursuit by Poseidon and the Seleya.

The last incident before the war between Earth and Romulus truly worked up to full steam was contact with Issik, a Suliban Cabal operative. Claiming that he was dispatched by his 26th-century handlers, Issik presented the PCs with a data disk containing the position of a Romulan invasion fleet preparing to make a move on Earth. A larger group of Starfleet vessels confronted the Romulans at Galorndon Core late in 2156, smashing their invasion force and chasing them back to Romulan space.

My Romulan War Series picked up immediately after the Battle of Galorndon Core, when the PCs were assigned to Earth Starfleet Station Alpha in the Berengaria system, where the first Starfleet starbase was already under construction. The PCs - aboard Poseidon - were assigned to protect the area (as part of a larger force) against Romulan treachery. They were also responsible for the placement and activation of a sensor net to detect cloaked vessels approaching within a billion kilometers of ESS Alpha.

The Romulan War Series has been on hiatus for several months, but will likely resume in October, so I'll have more to post at that point.

Hope that helps.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

So, wait, they eradicated an entire human colony–and Starfleet made it Top Secret? How many people are we talking about here?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Yeah, the colony was about 25 people. It was a research colony, not a major population center. The mindset of Starfleet Intelligence (as it was explained to the PCs) was that yet another hostile species - one clearly on par with the Xindi threat - was simply too much for mankind to handle at that time. Further, the simple fact that the enemy was essentially unknown at the time merely strengthened their resolve to maintain that veil of secrecy.

No one ever said that the leadership at Starfleet Intelligence was completely logical or rational, did they?

The PCs argued and fought, but in the end they were overruled and ordered to maintain the secrecy of the events surrounding the destruction of the Beta Hydri research colony.

[Of course the PCs were not aware that Section 31 already knew that Romulans were Vulcanoids, and that the knowledge that the enemy were essentially the kissing cousins of their closest allies. The fact of the matter is that Section 31 manipulated the information to keep what they already knew about the Romulans a secret, even after a century beyond the war's end.]

Sorry that I wasn't clearer in my last post.

mactavish out.

Quote Originally Posted by mactavish View Post
    Yeah, the colony was about 25 people. It was a research colony, not a major population center.
    Haha, okay. I was imagining, like, 'the Roanoke of the Stars.'

Which itself would be a cool episode idea.

[Of course the PCs were not aware that Section 31 already knew that Romulans were Vulcanoids, and that the knowledge that the enemy were essentially the kissing cousins of their closest allies. The fact of the matter is that Section 31 manipulated the information to keep what they already knew about the Romulans a secret, even after a century beyond the war's end.]
    Cool.

Something I was wondering was how many other proxy governments the Romulans might control? Though it probably wasn't the writer's intentions at the time, the Vulcan High Command's operations on Mazar, Agaron or Coridan may have been putting Romulan-controlled intelligence assets in the middle of their governments. There may be other proxy wars occurring at the time, engineered by the Romulans–Enolian versus Mazarite, or Teneebian versus Kreetassan...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I imagine that the Romulans have their fingers in pies throughout the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, including Qo'nos and Earth (as well as where we already know they have operatives, like Vulcan and Andoria).

I also imagine that the Romulans make extensive use of information merchants and intermediaries, particularly the Yridians and possibly the Ferengi.

As for how they do what they do, I'd guess surgical alteration and exhaustive training of their agents as well as hiring and/or blackmailing natives to do their dirty work (which we already know they've done with the Klingons [in TNG, at least]).

The Romulan intelligence community is the best there is, bar none. They have centuries of experience, and undoubtedly have various techniques and technologies to make their work easier (or at least more effective/efficient). Their cloaking technology is only one example of their obfuscatory nature.

Romulans are sneaky bastards. They definitely have their tentacles intertwined with the leaderships of many worlds.

mactavish out.

Okay, here are the ships that I promised:

Class and Type: Ket-Cheleb-class Warbird

Commissioning Date: 2140

Hull Characteristics

Size: 4 [250m long, 4 decks]
    Resistance: 3
    Structural Points: 80

Operations Characteristics

Crew/Pass./Evac: 40/20/100 [5 pwr/rnd]
    Computers: 2 [2 pwr/rnd]
    Transporters: N/A
    Tractor Beams: 1 ad, 1 fd [2 pwr/rnd/rating used]

Propulsion and Power Characteristics

Warp System: 1.5/2.2/3 [10h] [2/warp factor]
    Impulse System: 0.2c/0.4c [2/4 pwr/rnd]
    Power: 60

Sensor Systems

Long-Range Sensors: +0/4 ly [6 pwr/rnd]
    Lateral Sensors: +0/1 ly [4 pwr/rnd]
    Navigational Sensors: +0 [5 pwr/rnd]
    Energy Sheath* (invisible to long range sensors) [0 pwr/rnd]
    Cloak: 4 [16 pwr/rnd]

Note: Cloaking device only operates ~10 minutes, requires 50 minute recharge

Sensors Skill: 4

Weapons Systems

Type H Disruptor
    Range: 10/5,000/12,000/35,000
    Arc: forward [180 degrees]
    Accuracy: 5/6/8/11
    Damage: 12
    Power: [12]

Mark I Plasma Torpedoes
    Number: 20
    Launchers: 1 fv
    Spread: 2
    Arc: Forward but are self-guided
    Range: 15/15,000/50,000/180,000
    Accuracy: 6/7/9/12
    Damage: 10
    Power: [5]

Defensive Systems

Romulan Deflector Shield
    Protection: 12/15
    Power: [12 pwr/rnd]

Description and Notes: The Ket-Cheleb-class Warbird is one of the earliest warships of the Romulan Empire. It is fast, maneuverable and heavily-armed, and with the addition of a powerful cloaking device, it is invisible to its enemies. The backbone of the Romulan military, this early warbird has proven itself a powerful asset in maintaining control of the Romulan Star Empire's borders, and as an exceptional deterrent to its enemies.

Class & Type: D'era-class Warbird (Battleship)
    Commissioing Date: 2140

Hull Characteristics

Size: 6 [400m, 9 decks]
    Structural Points: 120

Crew/Passengers/Evac: 50/25/125 [4 pwr/rnd]
    Computers: 3 [3 pwr/rnd]
    Tractor Beams: 1 fd [2 pwr/rnd/rating]

Propulsion & Power Characteristics

Warp System: 1.5/2.2/3 [10h] [2/warp factor]
    Impulse System: .2c/.4c [2/4 pwr/rd]
    Power: 90

Sensor Systems

Long-Range Sensors: +0/5 ly [6 pwr/rd]
    Lateral Sensors: +0/1 ly [4 pwr/rd]
    Navigational Sensors: +0 [5 pwr/rd]
    Energy Sheath* (invisible to long range sensors) [0 pwr/rnd]
    Cloak: 4 [16 pwr/rd]

Sensor Skill: 3

Weapons Systems

Type L Disruptor
    Damage: 16
    Power: [16]

Mark I Plasma Torpedoes
    Number: 40
    Arc: Forward but are self-guided
    Accuracy: 6/7/9/12

Defensive Systems

Romulan Deflector Shield
    Protection: 16/20
    Power: [16]

Description and Notes: The D'era-class Warbird is a powerful support vessel generally reserved for use as an operational base during combat operations in space. The ship itself is powerful both offensively and defensively, capable of meting out plenty of punishment to enemy vessels. It typically serves as a method of deploying small aerospace fighters, and also provides support for its dropships as they deliver invasion forces to planetary surfaces.

Class and Type: Decius-class drop ship
    Commissioning Date: Early 22nd century

Hull Characteristics

Size: 2
    Structural Points: 40

Crew/Passengers/Evac: 2/12/20 [3 pwr/rnd]
    Computers: 2 [2 pwr]

Propulsion and Power Characteristics

Warp System: N/A (typically carried by D'era-class warbird)
    Impulse System: .2c/.4c [2/4 pwr/rnd]
    Power: 30

Sensor Systems

Long-range Sensors: +1/3 light-years [3 pwr/rnd]
    Lateral Sensors: +1/1 light-year [4 pwr./rnd.]
    Navigational Sensors: +0 [5 pwr/rnd]
    Cloak: 2 [8 pwr]
    Sensor Skill: 3

Weapons Systems

Type B Disruptor
    Damage: 6
    Power: [6]

Mark I Plasma Torpedoes
    Number: 8
    Arc: Forward or aft, but are self-guided
    Accuracy: 4/5/7/10
    Weapons Skill: 3

Defensive Systems

Romulan Deflector Shield
    Protection: 6/8 [6]

Description and Notes: This atmosphere-capable ship, one of the workhorses of the Romulan navy, acts as ground troop support rather than engaging in space-based combat. Able to carry up to twelve fully-equipped Romulan troopers, the Drop Ship lifts off from a larger ship (such as a D'era-class warbird), descends under cover of its cloak through a planet's atmosphere to the surface, and drops off its "passengers" where they're most needed. Of course, it can also make a return trip to pick the soldiers up after they've completed their mission or when emergency evacuation proves necessary. In case it's detected and attacked on the way to or from its mothership, the drop ship carries Type B disruptors and a complement of 8 Mark I plasma torpedoes.

*See page 88 from Raiders, Renegades & Rogues for more details

If you find fault with these designs (which I largely copied from other sources then altered for my Series), please post your notes.

mactavish out.
    Last edited by mactavish; 01-27-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Has anyone read the spoilers at Memory Alpha regarding the plans made for a fifth season of Enterprise?

Among the various plot lines was the likely revelation that T'Pol was actually the daughter of a Romulan operative working undercover on Vulcan. Supposedly the big reveal was to be made that he faked his own death and returned to Romulus.

The point, of course, is to explain why T'Pol has such a difficult time with her emotions, and also (I assume) to reveal more about the Romulans as Vulcanoids.

The reason that I ask is this: would you have a lot of Romulan infiltration of Vulcan society before, during and/or after their war with Earth?

mactavish out.

Quote Originally Posted by mactavish View Post
    The reason that I ask is this: would you have a lot of Romulan infiltration of Vulcan society before, during and/or after their war with Earth?
    Yes. Tons. In fact, I'd make the reconquest of Vulcan their primary objective at this point in time, and the Earth-Romulan war a last-ditch effort to politically destabilize the area. This, along with other upheavals occurring at the time (war between the Enolians and the Tandarans, or a violent regime change on the Mazarite homeworld) because of Romulan subversion of other governments would be directed at ensuring the Vulcans aren't able to utilize them as allies against the Romulans during their planned conflict. When Earth instead leads the way and establishes a multi-stellar coalition, they pull back to reassess their strategy (and deal with the internal issues that plague any empire).