Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unnecessary skill ?

Quote Originally Posted by RealPity View Post
    Guess I have to gauge how I want to do it seeing as all the shuttle systems and shuttles as spacecraft themselves work absolutely the same (rules-wise, unless I've missed something) as any other ship ... therein lies my whole reason for pondering this in the first place.
    Yeah, but that is probably due to the nature of the rules. As far as the system goes, all the other vehicles work the same too.

Hmmmm, still leaning towards Shipboard Systems at this point as the base in that skill without specialties covers all systems, kinda like it's being suggested the Vehicle Ops (Shuttle) skill covers all systems ...
    That was what I was suggesting with the Shipboard Systems (Shuttle) idea. Basically, I can see some overlap. For instance a pilot who is skilled in 23rd-24th centruy atomposheric creat is probably cable of piloting a shuttle, much the way a 21st centruy prop plane pilot has some overlap with the skills of a jet pilot.

I'm thinking of leaving Vehicle Operation more for the ground vehicles, aircraft, atmospheric type vessels ... workbees, impulse-only shuttles, things of that sort. Still a valuable skill to some Overlays ... Engineers come to mind with regards to workbees and such

But that has some rough spots too. THw workbee is operating basically the same as a shuttle. If you tack on a impulse or warp module, or one of the super/killer/assault "sleds" then you would need another skill to cover it.

Personally, I think Shipboard Systems should work for all vehicles with a LCARS type interface (or similar for pre-LCARS ships) and vehicle ops reserved for craft with steering wheels, flight sticks and such. I'd probably let one substitute for the other at half ability it it was related.

For instacne, FLight Ops can probably overlap a beit with most flying vehicle ops, and Sensors are probably sensors.

"Yeah, but that is probably due to the nature of the rules. As far as the system goes, all the other vehicles work the same too."

Hmmm, good point, must go through DWS and see how/if it's suggested the various systems on say a hovertank are handled ...
    Weapons, Sensors and such all covered through Veh Ops or just the movement of the vehicle ....

"Yeah, but that is probably due to the nature of the rules. As far as the system goes, all the other vehicles work the same too."

Hmmm, good point, must go through DWS and see how/if it's suggested the various systems on say a hovertank are handled ...
    Weapons, Sensors and such all covered through Veh Ops or just the movement of the vehicle ....
    I've got mixed feelings about the DWS. I have a hard time accepting that a tank does less damage than a hand phaser.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    I've got mixed feelings about the DWS. I have a hard time accepting that a tank does less damage than a hand phaser.
    For me it was seeing the massively jumped up Deflector Shield rates (90's 100's+) that blew away Galaxys and Sovereigns ... figured they should all be halfed or three-quartered to keep things level with the published stuff.

I see it refers to using Vehicle Operations for driving vehicles but Shipboard Systems for (Sensors) and (Tactical/Weapon Systems) etc ... so I guess no different than what the main rules seems to imply. Everything but movement on anything is Shipboard Systems and movement only is Vehicle Ops for shuttles.

Seems like Vehicle Operation (Heavy Vehicle) would be an appropriate skill for tanks and personel carriers. Where there every any pictures of these things? Just wondering what a Federation tank would look like, tracked or an anti-grav thing and stff like that.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Nope, just FASA did that I think ... I seem to recall ground vehicle drawings in the Klingon supplement

Sorry, off topic. . .

So I found a picture of a tank I was going to write up. I got out my copy of the Dominion War Sourcebook and looked over the rules for ground vehicles.

Anyone else think rating ground vehicles with speeds en excess of 1,000 kph a bit much? No need to put anti-personnel wepons on these things--there is no way you could react fast enough to get out of ones way!

It currently is a ten minute drive for me to get to work. Get me a hover craft from the Dominion War book and it would be a three second trip. Hell, that's even quicker than beaming, isn't?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

To say nothing of something like a grenade launcher ... you'd be going so fast it'd end up on your own roof or in your lap as tried to fire one ahead to clear a path ... guess that'd be side and rear arcs only ...