Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some New Development Packages

Some New Development Packages

Okay, so there wasn't anything ever done with the splat books for CODA Trek. I never got to look at them, so I don't know what was in them...which kinda irritates me, to be honest. So I thought I might do something about it. Taking a hint from some of the things Jess Heinig was talking about once, and which Ken Hite did in the Starfleet Operations Manual, I started fiddling with things. I'm not even remotely done yet, but I thought I'd throw a couple of things out for some feedback.

The thing that Jess talked about, and which Ken did in SOM, was to create different variants of the established Professions by swapping out professional skills. Look at the Communications Officer and Phaser Control Officer in the SOM as examples. That said, here are a couple of examples I cooked up.

Soldier: Combat Engineer
    Substitute Armed Combat with Construct, Investigate with Structural Engineering, and Tactics with Physical Science as Professional Skills.

Some people are good at building things. Some people are good at blowing them up. You can take pride in being good at both.

Skills: Athletics +1, Construct +4, Demolitions +4, Energy Weapons +1, Observe +1, Physical Science (Chemistry) +3, Repair +2, Structural Engineering +3

Take 5: +1 to any professional skill

Pick 1 Edge: Courageous, Exceptional Concentration, Meticulous, Promotion, Sense of Time, Unyielding

Soldier: Field Medic
    Substitute Demolitions with Medicine and Repair with System Operation as Professional Skills

You don’t always get a chance to get the wounded to a hospital or a starship’s medical facilities. Sometimes you have to treat them on the battlefield. This is what you have been trained to do.

Skills: Athletics +2, Computer Use (Retrieve) +1, Energy Weapons +2, First Aid +3, Medicine +4, System Operation (Medical) +3, Survival +3

Pick 5: +1 to any professional skill

Pick 1 Edge: Alert, Iron Willed, Promotion, Skill Focus (Compassionate), Speed, Thinker

So...let me know what you think, and if you'd like more of this sorta thing.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Looks good.

For sure more ! Anything that expands on what was published is much appreciated.

Cool...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Looks Good.

It would be nice to see a booklet of those for all of the Careers somewhere down the road.

Ask tonyg and ye shall receive ... located here. Not exactly all the careers, but a whole whack of new stuff along the lines of what Patrick posted above, as well as a whole bunch of new professional abilities, background packages, and so forth.
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

No more packages as yet; I've gotten quite a few done, but I'm not quite ready to create a PDF of them just yet.

However, to give you a notion of what I'm working on at the moment with this project, here's some flavor text. I'd like some critique on what you think of my approach to the idea.

A big thanks to Don for the inspiration.

The Vulcan Interspecies Exchange Programs

Sometime in the early part of the 21st century, in an attempt to promote peaceful relations between the various species they had encountered during their years of exploration, the Vulcan High Command established several interspecies exchange programs. The stated goal was to promote an exchange of ideas and knowledge between the member species; some less-than-charitable critics asserted that they were set up to give the Vulcans a greater degree of control over the various species, some of which (like Humans) were little more than client states of the Vulcans.

The most successful of the Interspecies Exchange programs were the Interspecies Cultural Exchange and the Interspecies Medical Exchange. These two programs continue well into the 24th century, though they’ve been subsumed by larger Federation-wide programs. Others, such as the Space Service Officer Exchange, were less successful (relatively speaking) and were discontinued shortly after the founding of the Federation.

It was through these exchange programs that the Vulcans helped introduce Earth to some of her neighbors in the early part of the 22nd century. The ICE and IME both helped Earth to meet such species as the Denobulans and Alpha Centaurans. While other species, such as the Tellarites, were involved in the exchange programs, the Vulcans had not brought any to Earth at the time of the launch of the Enterprise NX-01. After the first Babel Conference, more species were invited to send members to the various exchange programs.

The exchange programs accept members from almost any species, Federation member or not, as long as that species is not currently hostile towards the Federation. They are especially attractive to young men and women wishing to see the galaxy, learn about the many other cultures out there, and who are willing to teach other cultures about their own in return.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    It would be nice to see a booklet of those for all of the Careers somewhere down the road.
    That is, in fact, something I'm working on at the moment. I'm looking at four or five new packages per Profession for the time being, though this might change as I actually get time to work on it. I've been tweaking my Interspecies Exchange Program packages and getting them ready for release, between some freelance gigs. After that one goes up, I'll be back to working on the general packages, and then I might put together some alternate mixed species rules (based on discussions we had here and on Dec's boards back in the day).

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post

Soldier: Combat Engineer
    Substitute Armed Combat with Construct, Investigate with Structural Engineering, and Tactics with Physical Science as Professional Skills.
    All good ececpt for the replacing of tactics. what usually makes engineers such good soldiers, (and that is what they are) is there good tactical sense. ' this is good spot to build a block because it will channel the enemy into that corridor' etc . . . just a quick two cents
    Draftsmen in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Eric R. View Post
    All good ececpt for the replacing of tactics. what usually makes engineers such good soldiers, (and that is what they are) is there good tactical sense. ' this is good spot to build a block because it will channel the enemy into that corridor' etc . . . just a quick two cents
    Good point. What do you think I should replace so that he can get Physical Science?

I was I think is leave as is, not all Combat Engineers will have Tactical training, but could take it one of the 5 PS skill picks. The GM could that Engineers have a little amount of Tactic, but leader of the squad who just have 1 or 2 advancements and would have a stripe or two sleeve could taken picks in it. Tactic I believe is run by the Groups Commander not the individual.

Just my two pence worth.

"Group commander" could very well be anyone in the group once combat starts...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

While physical sciece is nice i don't think it is a must have option even though I understand what your thinking. Meahwile I think Tanty's option would make them just plain construction workers. Remeber there the word Combat in the title should have meaning. Physical Sciences could be like Tanty was saying a 5 sp choice.
    Draftsmen in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Eric R. View Post
    While physical sciece is nice i don't think it is a must have option even though I understand what your thinking. Meahwile I think Tanty's option would make them just plain construction workers. Remeber there the word Combat in the title should have meaning. Physical Sciences could be like Tanty was saying a 5 sp choice.
    Well, the deal is, for it to be something chosen from the package at chargen, it has to be a professional skill. Someone calling themselves an engineer, combar or otherwise, needs Physical Science as a professional skill. To keep things balanced, something has to go in order to give them Physical Science as a professional skill. You guys objected to Tactics, and I can see your point, but I still need something to become a non-professional skill. Maybe Survival?

Inquire. I imagine they're not trained in the social niceties.

Alternatively, they buy an edge that adds one professional skill?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Inquire. I imagine they're not trained in the social niceties.
    Silly me. You're right, that's an excellent choice. I think I'll go with that.