Thread: English Mates Sound Off!

English Mates Sound Off!

I'll be visiting England on a work-related trip in April -- Isleworth, Middlesex to be specific -- so I was wondering if there were any board members from the area? My wikipedia and google search-fu tells me that Isleworth is in the western part of greater London, near Hounslow. Can anyone give me a local's perspective on the really interesting and cool places to check out, what pubs to drink at and, most importantly, if there are any game stores in Isleworth!

I've never been to England before and I have no desire to get caught up in all the cheesy tourist traps. Historical-touristy is OK in my books, but I want to avoid all the really commercial-type touristy stuff (bus tours and such) ... since I'll have to do "ambush quick-in-and-out" type exploration of the area because it's a work-related trip.

Cheers!
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Well sadly no where near me! But have a great time while you are there!

Couple of suggestions...

Visit the British Museum, and well any of the major museums if you love your history: the V&A, Natural history and science museums are all also conveniently located near each other! London is packed full of world class museums, and has some outstanding historical treasures to see!

I'd also recommend you visit the Tutankhamen exhibition currently in the Millennium Dome, as it stops sometime about September and is one of those 'once in a lifetime' type tours of the treasures of Egypt. Also the LOTR stage-play is still on, both of which I intend to be seeing myself when I go down to London sometime later this year, with my partner and some of my role-play mates
    Ta Muchly

I know it's a bit late to reply, but I work in central London (just down from Parliament Square).

I'd second most of what Tobian said - the museums are well worth a visit (I love the BM and the London Museum at the Barbican) as most are free. I'm also fond of the Imperial War Museum (on the South Bank), the RAF museum (north London) and the National Army Museum (Chelsea). I can't comment on the pubs - I have yet to find a good one that's decently priced

Unfortunately, Page's, the local Trekkie pub (complete with a 6 ft Enterprise hanging from the ceiling), is long gone - it's now a wine bar. I found this a little depressing, it's where I met my wife.

The only games shops I know are in central London (Playin Games - on Museum street just around the corner from the aforementioned British Museum, and Orc's Nest at Cambridge Circus on Shaftesbury Avenue) or the north (Leisure Games is in Finchley). Forbidden Planet stocks a small selection but they're overpriced, although the place is also worth visiting for the display of genre figures and models in the windows.
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Quote Originally Posted by Imagus View Post
    Unfortunately, Page's, the local Trekkie pub (complete with a 6 ft Enterprise hanging from the ceiling), is long gone - it's now a wine bar. I found this a little depressing, it's where I met my wife.
    Oh yeah, Pages Bar. When were you there, I used to frequent back in the late 90's, for the new DS9/Voyager double-bill

And of course some of Manny's videos ended up on You Tube;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXg86JtWumM

Edit; Is the Star Wars exhibition still on the South Bank?
    Last edited by Dan Gurden; 03-18-2008 at 02:28 PM.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)