Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gary Gygax, 1938-2008: Rest in Peace, Dungeon Master

[QUOTE=Tricky;168503]Wow, this has not been a good year for old school gameing, has it.

Erick Wujick is dying, and Gary Gygax, who could be considered intellectual father to the industry, has passed.

D&D was my first toe into the gaming waters; I bought some books before I even really understood the game. Then that Boxed Basic set (I bought it in the "Toys and Games" section of a hardware store!) Helped me make sense of it all.

<snip>
    [QUOTE]
    Bob Bledsaw, Judges Guild's President, is terminal ill, too. Judge Guild was an early third party publisher of D&D license products.

Ay.. The Basic Box Sets.. Check out the OD&D Guild as there are still proponents of that version of D&D. (see my sig).
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Sho-sa Kurita View Post
    As in, it's not tech news. It's entertainment news.
    I think you'll find more than a few technophiles have a long history with D&D. Me, for instance.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

D&D was my first foray into gaming.

Also, socialization.

Without D&D, I might well have ended up the unstable loner who one day goes on to wipe out an entire small town.

Instead, I wiped out whole societies of Kobolds and Goblins and Orcs, with a few close friends I still talk to almost 20 years later, and I'm only insane after midnight. And that's one of the happy kinds, 0_o
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

My own meager tribute to the man can be found here.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support