Thread: Question from a newbie

Exclamation Question from a newbie

I recently started looking to get into the Star Trek RPG and was thinking of buying into it. Unfortunately, my usual look follows me. I get into a game system and it gets cancelled. It happened with WEG's Star Wars and Mayfair's DC Heroes. In both cases, I prefer the older system to the newer one. Now, I hear that the current LUG's Star Trek is going defunct. At least it won't be turned into a d20 game.

To my question, would it be worth my time and money to invest in LUG system or should I wait for Decipher to put out theirs.

------------------
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of
    their dreams."
    --Eleanor Roosevelt

Arrow

<font color="orange">At least it won't be turned into a d20 game.</font>

Even if the LUG staff (now Decipher RPG staff) won't use that system, it won't stop me from trying to make one.

As for your question, it's totally up to you. If you prefer company support, go with Decipher who got a five-year license to publish and market Star Trek RPG. If you prefer one system over the other, then stick to that system and be creative about it. You can use material as reference and convert them to your preferred system.

Whatever you do, don't be lazy when it comes to being creative. After all, the rules can't cover every role-playing situation. And don't be like me, an elitist snob who like to bash other games and systems that I don't like, and ridicule other gamers that don't like my favorites. There are a variety of games and systems out there for a variety of people.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 03-24-2001).]

Talking

Thanks for the advice, and as far as me bashing other people for their tastes, I have quit posting at other boards for the tendency of ridiculing people for their tastes. After all, "to each his own" is my opinion.

------------------
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of
    their dreams."
    --Eleanor Roosevelt