Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyond The Final Frontier – Submissions

Beyond The Final Frontier – Submissions

Our esteemed Gandalf of Borg, after shepherding ten issues of Beyond the Final Frontier and thousands and thousands (okay, almost fifty) of issues of Hall of Fire to fruition, has decided he needs a break. He's passing duties for both magazines on, and I've taken up the bulky, rodinium mantle of editor for Beyond the Final Frontier, the unofficial Star Trek RPG webzine.

Issue 10 is out now. That means Issue 11 needs to be filled, and we at BTFF want to provide a place for as much new, useful CODA material as possible.

IMPORTANT UPDATE
    As usual, real life intervenes. Now that I'm sitting on something other than boxes, however, I can turn my attention back to the zine. BTFF11 is now slated for a mid-Fall release. The nominal deadline for final drafts is now late September or early October, so talk to me now about your submission ideas.

What we're looking for in the new issue:

Episodes
    The most important part. We're aiming for two to three adventures each issue, depending on length. These should be fully-developed adventures, capable of being played out of the box.

Starships
    We want both full starship stats with descriptions and new systems to use.

Aliens and Creatures
    We also want new alien life forms for Crew to encounter–or be. We want alien civilizations for player characters, adversaries or plot elements, species of creatures, or individual narrator characters, all with notes on using them in episodes.

Worlds
    We're looking for strange new planets–and other times, alternate universes, pocket dimensions and weirder places–for the Crew to visit, along with notes on how narrators can use them in their episodes.

Operations
    Under this heading are new skills, traits, professional abilities and personal equipment for characters to use.

Narration
    Articles on narrating the game–finding ideas for episodes, advice, tools for efficiency or enhancing mood, narrative techniques or variations and thoughts on narrating the Star Trek RPG.

PM me here if you want to discuss submission ideas.

Good hunting.

---

Previous issues of Beyond the Final Frontier can be found here. Issue 10 coming soon.
    Previous issues of Hall of Fire, the LotR CODA webzine can be found at HallofFire.org.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 08-16-2008 at 01:47 AM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Good luck producing it all TMK! If you need a hand let me know. I will have a think if there's anything I can include for a submission, but my trek-imagination runs dry at the moment
    Ta Muchly

Well, we never did end up putting the 4 species (and their assorted background stuff) I created back in the day, in the embryonic ICON Alien sourcebook that never quite got off the ground...

Any specific format, or just follow the stuff Decipher did for their CODA books? Do you want it in Word, or...?

The rewrite could take some doing (I'm great at fluff, not so hot at statting), but I'd love to have something in there.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Oooo...shiny!

Exciting news! I wish I can help but I don't have the talent to loan. I'll see what I can come up with though and I'll submit it. See ya!
    7 of 11
    Bored of Borg?
    Try the new Species 8472!
    Hard to kill, Harder to find!

Important update, see above.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Another update!

Is this still live or is there no interest in doing an issue 11? I'd be happy to help out if there's still anything going on with it.
    "Bad thinking is punishable. Good thinking is quickly and easily rewarded."

As usual, it's taking the back seat to paying jobs. However, ETA is sometime in the next month.

If you have any submissions you'd like to send along, please do!

Where, oh where have I heard THAT before?

Quote Originally Posted by selek View Post
    Where, oh where have I heard THAT before?
    Last month.

LOL. Are there any particular submission guidelines? (ie file formats etc.) I poked around and couldn't find any. I'm getting some of my adventure notes into a fleshed out and printable format.

Text submissions should be in .rtf. Adventures should be playtested before submission, and everything should be written with an eye toward providing utilities that can be plugged directly into games.

Thanks. I'm gunning to have the adventure done by the end of the week for your perusal.

What Ever Happened to Issue 11

Really enjoyed this E-zine. I was curious to whatever happened to issue 11?

Hows the progress on issue 11? Was this abandoned or whats up with it?