Thread: Quadrant/System maps?

Quadrant/System maps?

As I have mentioned before, I have started a new series with a few friends and this is my first time running the ST-CODA.

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on how to get either starmaps or a listing of what systems are in which quadrant. The only stuff I can find online is not particularly updated. Either that or I am looking in the wrong places.

So, if anyone has a file containing the quadrant info, or if there is fan created websites that have this, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Solstice

Try this site, it has scans of many of the maps from Star Trek Star Charts. Or download this image, which is a poorer scan of the UFP I-IV maps that has been stitched together. SIR SIG had a better one, but I can't find it at the moment. The homepage URL in his profile is no longer valid.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

If it's from TOS or TNG, odds are it's in the alpha or beta quadrants. If it's from early DS9, it might be in the gamma quadrant. If it's from VOY, it's in the delta quadrant. It says so in their Memory Alpha pages.

What do you need a map for, anyway?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Maps are always a nice handout to give to players. It's certainly easier to hand them a map of the Alpha Quadrant and let them look at it than to describe it with 1,000 words.

Quote Originally Posted by iltharanos View Post
    Maps are always a nice handout to give to players. It's certainly easier to hand them a map of the Alpha Quadrant and let them look at it than to describe it with 1,000 words.
    Unless we're talking some sort of zoomable 3d map they can fly around in, "Planet X is two weeks away from Earth" is probably your best bet.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Unless you like the pretense of science in your science-fiction, in which case you can use the interactive TNG warp speed chart and those maps to give yourself a few realistic figures to consider for your adventure before you provide them to your players. Or you can use the quick-and-dirty guide to warp speed to calculate travel distances in a pinch.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Thanks for the info. Yes, I agree that it is a bit nicer to have a visual aid to show the orientation of places in relation to others.

I do like the memory alpha lists, but the starmaps are nice to have to bring it all in. Thanks.

Solstice

Quote Originally Posted by RaconteurX View Post
    Unless you like the pretense of science in your science-fiction, in which case you can use the interactive TNG warp speed chart and those maps to give yourself a few realistic figures to consider for your adventure before you provide them to your players. Or you can use the quick-and-dirty guide to warp speed to calculate travel distances in a pinch.
    What is used to do is work around the "warp 6" idea. A lot of the ships in the TNG era can cruise at Wapr 6 (MCU). THat is only about 10% faster than 1 light-year/day, so I7d set up the secotr map grid in 1 ly incrrements and "count the squares" for travel time in days.

For long distance I7d drop every tenth square or so.

I also made a fake PADD out of carboard that I could slide in a map printout (Sheathed in a mylar sleeve. It worked pretty good. I was going to make a backlit one, when I got a handhelp PC that essentially "is" a low-tech PADD. Makes a great prop.

http://www.stdimension.org/int/index.htm is a great site. There's tonnes of information in the cartography section here http://www.stdimension.org/int/Carto...artography.htm

Unfortunately warp speeds and star charts are somewhat ugly things in Trek.. when you start crunching numbers, you rapidly realise there's something very wrong
    Ta Muchly

Tobian, thanks for the info. The site had exactly what I was looking for, but you're right...it makes it a little difficult to handle the travel issue without taking some serious creative license... hehe.

I do like that I have some idea of the relationship of the different territories.

Solstice

Quote Originally Posted by RaconteurX View Post
    Hey...I know I am late on the reply, but thanks for the links. I hadn't seen the interactive warp chart before.

Solstice