Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American School System

hehehe . . . I mean sad events and all. But it was bound to happen.

I should know . . . I'm not far from that age, and I remember it REAL well. (coming on 20 now)

It's sad that kids can be so cruel to each other.

Note the reasons why most of these school shootings have happened . . .

. . . I mean it was sad that these events occured . . . but I'm not suprised.

Have you ever been the outcast? <sniff> (remembers the 6th grade)

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

On Quantico, they skip middle/junior high altogether, and go from Elementary (K-6) right to High School (7-12)!

It was wierd, sharing halls and lockers with the bigger High School kids as a 7th grader, because there's usually a HUGE difference in visible age between 7th and 8th grade. The 8th graders didn't look much different than the 9th graders, though, so that was no big deal.

high school who is still young enough to remeber that???
    god I feel old...

Arrow

Where I grew up, I went from elementary school (K-6) to a combined high & intermediate school (7-12).

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

I didn't turn 5 until two months into Kindergarten. This plus other factors made me naturally the smallest, puniest kid in class.

Oh, I remember it fondly.

That's the combo of death in public school... unusually smart and unusually puny.

There is a school system in the US?

Seriously...
    So there are only 12 grades in the US school system? We have 13 plus the year you have to spend in the army.Very unfair somehow...

Originally posted by Surak:
    There is a school system in the US?

Seriously...
    So there are only 12 grades in the US school system? We have 13 plus the year you have to spend in the army.Very unfair somehow...

Well... 13 if you count Kindergarten.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Oh, I forgot.

In Germany Kindergarten is from 3 to 5 or 6.Depends on your birthday if it is 5 or 6.So if you also count Kindergarten as school, I spent 16 years in it.

Well, some places have a Pre-K, for kids that are too small, or too young. My nephew was born in late Nov, so he was technically too young to go to kindergarten just before he turned 5. They put him into Pre-K, so that he could get the schooling, but not have to deal with older kids, or be forced to wait an extra year.

Arrow

Your average "underprivalaged" kid goes through a myrid of classes now even before 1st

Theres Child Alert ages 2 to 3 which aims to get kids with potential learning problems a boost right out of the gate

Followed by

HeadStart which is essentually Government sponsored Day Care this is usually for kids aged 4 to 5 but sometimes 3 year olds find there way in.

Its quite unsetteling to be driving along in your avaerage school bus with a bunch of kids aged 3 to 5 who are 1.) scared senseless being the first time away from mommie and 2.) are saying to them selves 'hey No Mommie'! Makes for quite a mix.

In more affluent areas, your "priviledged kid" also attends pre-school before entering kindergarten, usually at the parents' expense.

A kid in an affluent school district who has not had some exposure to a "school" before kindergarten can even be at a "disadvantage" compaired to his beginning-kindergarten classmates. However, it will even out over time.

Also, for aggressive students, most US high schools offer Advanced Placement and/or International Baccalaureate classes in high school, many of which are considered college level courses. Some school districts allow "advanced" 12th graders (seniors) to take classes at local colleges in lieu of some classes at the high school.

So, K-12 is standard in US schools, but what a student "studies" at a grade level can vary considerably based on the school district and choice of classes in upper grades.

Angry

May I say the IB is just a piece of crap? At least for me, it was useless. I can? Thank you.

And the thread was very clarifying for understanding all those strange nicks for the different school levels in USA.

------------------
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mac22003:

Also, for aggressive students, most US high schools offer Advanced Placement and/or International Baccalaureate classes in high school, many of which are considered college level courses. Some school districts allow "advanced" 12th graders (seniors) to take classes at local colleges in lieu of some classes at the high school.
    </font>
    When I went to HS you could attend classes at the local JC, but you had to apply those EITHER to HS or to college... not both.

NOW you can apply them to both... some kids attend the college instead of HS, and the HS teaches special versions of the mandatory HS classes for them on the JC campus (civics, economics, ect).

The daughter of a friend of mine graduated HS and had an AA from the JC on the same day (at 17) and graduated from Arizona State a year and a half later with a BA and started student teaching... she wasn't even 19 yet!

Go figure.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

The HS in my town allows 10th through 12th graders take half of their day at the local vo-tech school. Graduating seniors who have attend tech school even get a free year at tech after they leave high school. I wish I could have done that when I went to HS. Of course, back then I was a goof off who didn't pay much attention at school anyway.

------------------
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of
    their dreams."
    --Eleanor Roosevelt