Thread: Starfleet Academy boxed set

Starfleet Academy boxed set

What were the adventures like?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Getting the idea they didn't make a big impression ?

I've read through them, the first was a "test"-mission for cadets that gets out of hand when some Cardassians shoot their shuttle down. The Quality can be compared to Planetary adventures - solid but not outstanding and somewhat straight forward with little room for heavy subplots.

The second one was similar and revolves remotely around the Sadie Hawkins Dance when suddenly young women get paralyzed. The players have to resolve this mystery before the dance (probably their dates get paralyzed too).

Both could be converted with only little effort to suit other series as well.
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

The sadie hawkins thing (they still have those?) seems like an interesting place to explicitly explore 24th century gender politics...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

The introduction states it to be a time honored tradition...but the dance is used only as backdrop to the action. Any romantic plots are left to the players and the narrator, so no "real" information here
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

When I read that Adventure, I kept imagining a James Kirk/Tom Paris type character trying to get an attractive, yet naive about Human romantic/social customs, cadet to ask them to the dance.

And that could jump from sub-plot to story arc depending on the customs of her own people. What if something that we would consider casual intimacy (like a kiss) means alot more to her people? What if she has been promised to someone on her homeworld (like an arranged marriage), and this person considers her going to a dance a challenge to their joining? What if her father doesn't like her getting involved with Earth males while attending the Academy?

All sorts of "Starfleet Academy: 90210" adventures are possible. (oh yeah, and some solving problems, piloting ships, defeating alien menaces and saving the day too )