Thread: Assault phaser...

Assault phaser...

Hey all...

I was wondering if there was any CODA stats for the 'assault phaser' or 'combat phaser' (as some call it) from ST6. I love the design (not too into the dustbuster) and in the story arc I have created I wanted to include this weapon.

The players guide and other resources I have do not have the exact stats on this, and the players guide only has that sidebar on the difference between 23rd and 24th century phasers. Rather than make it up on my own, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for accepted rules on this. I would expect this phaser to be a bridge between the 23rd and 24th century phasers--better than the 23rd and not as refined as the 24th.

I have included a link to the site where I read about it. Thanks...any help would be appreciated.

http://www.phasers.net/2280/2288.htm

Solstice
    Last edited by Solstice; 03-28-2008 at 01:12 PM.

I don't think the 'assault phaser' distinction, as opposed to just Type-2 phaser, has been made in any of the books.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I agree. I believe I will have to modify or come up with distinct settings/damage for this weapon on my own.

The thing is, I do like the original series and I grew up watching the first 6 movies and I have to think that phaser technology between the original TV series and Star Trek 6 has evolved somewhat. To assign a simple "23rd Century Type II phaser" stats to something that came out 20-30 years after the original Type II would be oversimplifying things a bit.

So...any input as to what the settings, range and damage codes should be? I will work on it tonight and post what I think and see if I can get feedback.

Thanks,
    Solstice

If it was me, I'd just give it a full range of settings from 1-12; evolution in design is as much about fine control as it is raw power.

Other than that, I'd forget as much of ST6 as possible. The more I see of it, the less I like it.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Oh, and by the way, thanks for the link to the site. It's extremely cool.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    If it was me, I'd just give it a full range of settings from 1-12; evolution in design is as much about fine control as it is raw power.

Other than that, I'd forget as much of ST6 as possible. The more I see of it, the less I like it.
    What! Why?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Do the words "idiot plot" mean anything to you? I'll be back later to explain; gotta eat now.

Yeeaaahh... kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Yeeaaahh... kinda.
    I can get more specific if you'd like. Without going into too much detail:

1. The destruction of Praxis. I can accept that a Klingon mining facility might fall down and go boom. But for it to go boom with such force that the shockwave nearly destroys (or at least seriously damages) a fairly rugged starship many, many lightyears away...almost instantly...and yet doesn't annihilate the planet it's orbiting immediately stretches credulity.

2. The cutesy image of half of Praxis still hanging there, more or less still moon-shaped with just a big hunk taken out of one side.

3. Repeated incidents of making the characters look foolish. Chekov, for instance, not knowing about the alarm that would go off if you used a phaser on kill to disintegrate your target...in spite of his decades of experience, his former gig as a first officer on the Reliant, and his current position as the Enterprise tactical officer. Uhura, in spite of being able to run the comm panel on a Klingon bird-of-prey and 30 years in Star Fleet dealing with Klingons, not being able to speak the language and having to rely on a bunch of dusty tomes that they just happened to have lying around.

4. Romulan ale is illegal, so of course there's a supply of the crap on board.

5. The Klingons not only have Shakespeare, but Jules Verne, in their planet's history. I mean, really, Rura Penthe? They couldn't have come up with a different name than the one Verne used?

6. Spock slaps a patch on Kirk's shoulder...and the Klingons never notice this chunk of black sponge randomly splayed on the back of his jacket? For that matter, they never bothered to change Kirk and McCoy out of their Star Fleet uniforms and into some nice prison-issue overalls?

7. You have one camera angle that makes it look like a torpedo came from the ship, but you don't bother seeing if any other camera angles might show the torpedo coming from somewhere else, like, say, underneath you? Especially after you've determined that all of your torpedo inventory is still safely in the armory?

This particular movie was one of the worst examples of Trek I've ever sat through, with some of the worst idiot plotting I've come across in a long time (though not as bad as the novel Black Fire, which was a real nightmare on that front). As a game session, I'd've said that they had the worst rail-roading GM on the planet.

Sorry, that was longer than I'd intended, but I hope it answers your questions.

I don't know. Aside from Meyer's gags, it's all mostly Trek-level fuzziness.

Havana cigars are pretty popular in the US, aren't they?

5. The Klingons not only have Shakespeare, but Jules Verne, in their planet's history. I mean, really, Rura Penthe? They couldn't have come up with a different name than the one Verne used?
    They are a species named after an Irish cop. : P

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I don't know. Aside from Meyer's gags, it's all mostly Trek-level fuzziness.
    If you say so. To me, as a fan, it was insulting what Meyer did to the main characters. To me, as a reasonably intelligent guy in the audience, it was insulting what he was asking me to swallow in terms of a plot that required everyone to be led around by the nose as they were.
    Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Havana cigars are pretty popular in the US, aren't they?
    They might be; they're still illegal. They wouldn't be on a US military vessel, or if they were they certainly wouldn't be in ship's stores so that the galley crew could bring them out to share with foreign dignitaries. They'd be in someone's private stash and they wouldn't be advertised.
    Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    They are a species named after an Irish cop. : P
    So? How does this excuse the lazy writers 30 years later?

So? How does this excuse the lazy writers 30 years later?
    It establishes a precedent wherein the writers steal names from where ever they feel is cool. It's got aliens running around named after greek letters and roman gods, man...

If you say so. To me, as a fan, it was insulting what Meyer did to the main characters. To me, as a reasonably intelligent guy in the audience, it was insulting what he was asking me to swallow in terms of a plot that required everyone to be led around by the nose as they were.
    It's not particularly unusual for Trek, though. Weird subspace events and a lack of total panopticonist information mining by the main characters and antagonists happen all the time. Yes, Uhura not knowing Klingon is stupid, and Nichols was upset that Meyer pushed for it, but, you know... crappy scenes get made. *shrug* The dinner scene makes up for it.

They wouldn't be on a US military vessel, or if they were they certainly wouldn't be in ship's stores so that the galley crew could bring them out to share with foreign dignitaries. They'd be in someone's private stash and they wouldn't be advertised.
    He probably got it from Admiral Bill. I'm not sure if Starfleet officers would have the same attitude toward a substance that seems to be illegal for no reasons other than the political relationship with the producer.
    Anyway, now that this is totally OT...
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 03-29-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Wow... I just signed on after a couple of days and I had no idea that I spawned a whole debate on ST6. I am impressed. What other debates can I instigate with equipment questions?

I agree that the whole Shakespeare and Verne references being claimed by Klingons are pretty bad, but I have to say that Nemesis was about the same level as Undiscovered Country too. The plot for Nemesis was totally contrived, I thought.

1. Data and LaForge never questions a redundancy circuit in an android found scattered across a planet, after they do a complete memory download into him? Oh, and guess what...he was a spy! Go figure. I do not even feel bad about posting a spoiler here, because anyone watching the movie knows it immediately.

2. Romulans/Remans? Ancient Greek mythos about twins being accepted names for the entire galaxy to call these races?

3. Romulan Ale: Still illegal, AND still being served at Starfleet functions. Well, at least a wedding of 2 Starfleet officers, attended by Starfleet officers.

There are plenty more I can say about this movie, but the bottom line is: Weak writing can happen at any time any place without warning. Also plot holes can break ankles, should you not keep an eye out. Not the proper forum, but I would LOVE to spend a couple hours ranting about the SW Prequels. Haha.

I agree with most of the stuff that was mentioned about ST6, but I pick what I like about the movies and concentrate on that. I am worried over what they will do making a prequel of TOS crew...I hope for the best, but expect the worst. Bottom line is, I will watch it and take what I like about that, too.

Take care guys...this was fun.

I understand that the whole thing about Shakespeare and Klingons is supposed to be a reference to the WWII Nazis fondness for showing how "civilized" they were by quoting Shakespeare frequently.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

You know, I liked Star Trek VI alot, until you made me think about it...

And now that I DO think about it, why was Sulu headed home from Beta Quandrant at impulse speeds? Ducking Demora's child support payments maybe?!?!?

Anyhow, getting back to the topic, I recently ran two episodes set during the TOS movie era and looking at the book I had the impression that the 23rd century phaser stats were for the TOS tv show (and not just 'cause of the picture!)

I added setting 3 to the type II and III (since it does actual damage as well as stun, for those non-alarming assassinations).