Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Okay...series is underway...

What if you limited the System Operations skill to a maximum of +5 and ruled that further advancement had to be done through Specialization, but you could pick the same specialization multiple times ?

For example your Security officer could have System Operations at +5 and then assuming he picked System Operations (Tactical) twice would have a total of:

System Operations +5
    (Tactical) +9

You know, I think System Ops should be a skill group, and Starship Officers should start with professional abilities that allow then to use all skills in the group untrained (or technically, be trained in them without possessing ranks in the skill) and maybe granting affinity bonuses bonuses based on, say, their promotion feat (so an Ensign has a +0 affinity bonus, a Lt. j.g. has +1, etc...). This, combined with the usual attribute or edge bonuses and things that most CODA characters have, should make them more competent than other professions.

You might need to rejigger some of the background packages, though. So, Sys Ops +2 and Other Sys Ops +1 instead of Sys Ops +3, etc.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I'd be a bit leary of making Systems Ops a skill group, since characters will suddenly need a lot of picks just to be able to do the basic stuff that every one does on TV. Some options:

OPTION 1

One idea for starship ops, and other skills is to alter the specialty rules a little.

Instead of a flat +2 bonus, a specialty could work like a skill, that is it could have a variable value. Say each "pick" is worth +2 to a specialty, but the specialty is capped at half the main skill.

With that idea, skills could be capped at 9 (so the total skill modifier would skill cap off at +14). This would still let character do all the basic stuff easy enough, but would make the characters position and specialty training more significant.

This could even be expanded to allow sub-specilatiess (capped at half the specialty), adding more idiviulatity and specialrization to the charactters. Sub specialities might be by class of ship, so a character might be more familiary with the systems aboard a certain class of ship.

For example a character could have Systems Ops +4 (Flight Control +2/Constituion-class +1) . The character could stil work the sensors and communications systems at a decent value, but would be much more effective at the helm.

OPTION 2
    For skill groups, a character only gets his full ranks with a sspecialty, and is limited to half skill ranks when using "realted skills" in that skill group.

So a character with System Ops (Flight Control) +6 would get his full ranks (and specialty bonus) when piloting a ship ith FLight control, and only be +3 for other uses of System Ops.

Thanks for the input. Just when I thought that the post was dead, new life sprung up. Seriously though, I appreciate the discussion.

tonyg, you mentioned being leary of making sys ops a skill group due to the amount of skill picks needed. I was concerned as well.

I did end up making a decision on how to do this. The way I did it is definitely not perfect and is not the most efficient in game mechanics, but it definitely suited my purposes.

My main thing is that I did not want all system ops abilities to advance with just making picks into one skill with each advancement. But I did not want to mess with character creation and the picks that go into that, or adjust the creation process at all.

So I did what I mentioned earlier.

For Sys Ops during character creation, the player can allocate points and choose specialty as normal with the current maximums (during starfleet academy all cadets get the same exposure to training, ranks depict aptitude).

During the advancement process, which I feel is generous as it is, picks are spent into the skill set and raise individual systems ops ranks separately. Yes, it cuts down on the points that can be spent elsewhere during advancement, but I think that helps the characters find their priorities for character development and it is better than the enormous amount of unjustified aptitude that the current sys ops system has in it.

I am considering advancement in specialty at reduced cost to offset, but my players are happy as it is. I feel the fewer 'house rules' I implement, the better.

Again, is it perfect? Far from it. But it is simple and effective. I have 2 permanent players and a couple occasional players, and they are happy getting an advancement every 2-3 sessions.

I really do like the suggestions you guys had, and I considered changing how I do things. However, I have already implemented my house rule and we do not make and play different characters. They have their characters and are working them up. Play is consistent and consistently fun. Can't ask for more than that, can I?

Anyway, feel free to voice your thoughts and let me know what you think. I am totally open to the critique.

Take care and chat atcha soon!
    Solstice