Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Spacedock Design Contest

Originally I was thinking of the Fighters are the combat element of the vessel . . . however, I see that I designed this vessel as more of a forward combat scout than a small explorer . . . but then again I was thinking of the vessel it was replacing and the vessel time . . . a Heavy Scout . . . not a light scout, and not a fast scout . . . and its weapons suites and attached fighters (or talons in non-combat situations) definitely make it Heavy. Therefore to answer the pulse-phaser question, it was to make it more Heavy.
    It could be traded, along with one of the forward facing torpedo tubes to make space for more Phaser banks of the standard type . . . and thus retrofitting it away from a combat design to a more traditional survey vessel . . . which it does so in spades for its size.
    As for the CIWS firing mode . . . it was something that we had bounced around as an idea in the Utopia Planitia Shipyards . . . the idea is that although you have the shield for protection . . . if you have the opertunity to destroy the projectile prior to it hitting you . . . your defenses will last longer . . . a return of the active defense that we presently have with SAMs and CIWS systems aboards modern naval vessels.
    I have not used them or game tested the idea . . . but would love to do so.
    Do you object to the Extended Ranger Microtorpedo . . . or do you see them as alogical extension of their development line as provided in the Spacedock book? I would think overtime with miniturization and increased efficiency the range could be increased . . . where as the amount of damage would not as you are dealing with a fine amount of explosive material.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Do you object to the Extended Ranger Microtorpedo . . . or do you see them as alogical extension of their development line as provided in the Spacedock book? I would think overtime with miniturization and increased efficiency the range could be increased . . . where as the amount of damage would not as you are dealing with a fine amount of explosive material.
    I don't think the extended range would unbalance the game while the increase in range is quite extreme (60 times higher than the Original) the intended use requires such high ranges to be effective in the first place.

Therefore to answer the pulse-phaser question, it was to make it more Heavy.
    It could be traded, along with one of the forward facing torpedo tubes to make space for more Phaser banks of the standard type . . . and thus retrofitting it away from a combat design to a more traditional survey vessel . . . which it does so in spades for its size.
    I just thought that Pulse-phasers were reserved for Combatspecific Vessels like the Defiant Class. I also thought that Building them uses up more Resources as well. If i read your design correctly most of its offensive force is projected head on. and just a Class V Phaser to cover any retreat. I always envisioned a scouts Mission to survey an gather information not engage the enemy. Armaments exist primarily for defense. For my personal taste the vessel is to heavily Armed.
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
    I don't think the extended range would unbalance the game while the increase in range is quite extreme (60 times higher than the Original) the intended use requires such high ranges to be effective in the first place.
    Although the range is much greater, if you look at the projectile based CIWS systems which this was designed to emulate, you would need that amound of range in order to be effective against fast moving larger projectiles . . . it isn't intended for use against capital vessels but incoming small craft and projectile weapons . . . much like the bofors of World War II and as seen on BSG.

I just thought that Pulse-phasers were reserved for Combatspecific Vessels like the Defiant Class. I also thought that Building them uses up more Resources as well. If i read your design correctly most of its offensive force is projected head on. and just a Class V Phaser to cover any retreat. I always envisioned a scouts Mission to survey an gather information not engage the enemy. Armaments exist primarily for defense. For my personal taste the vessel is to heavily Armed.
    You are correct that only the rear facing torpedo tube and the Class V PHASER are the only weapons systems facing aft . . . and that the main design purpose is to scout, undetected, then get the hell out of dodge . . . which this vessel could do in spades with its energy shethed hull and masking circuitry. Maybe I took Heavy as to literal. The Class V PHASER was ment to be the utility tool which the vessel could use for those non-combat purposes . . . that and with the 13 size of embarked vessels, whether 3 Dabubes, or 3 Talons, or 3 Peregrines, or whatever, could surely bring sufficient utility weapons when needed . . . as well as multiple weapons platforms to increase its defensive abilities.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Although the range is much greater, if you look at the projectile based CIWS systems which this was designed to emulate, you would need that amound of range in order to be effective against fast moving larger projectiles . . . it isn't intended for use against capital vessels but incoming small craft and projectile weapons . . . much like the bofors of World War II and as seen on BSG.
    Damn am i Stupid or what the missile based system was partly my own idea and we had a lively discussion about it in this thread
    http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...highlight=CIWS

Ok, that was two years ago but i had totally forgotten about it.

Maybe I took Heavy as to literal.
    Probably, aside from this the overall design looks good.
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
    Damn am i Stupid or what the missile based system was partly my own idea and we had a lively discussion about it in this thread
    http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...highlight=CIWS

Ok, that was two years ago but i had totally forgotten about it.
    That's OK . . . It happens

Probably, aside from this the overall design looks good.
    Well let me see if I can tune dune down the offensive weapons load . . . and expand their Get the F*** out of dodge sense of the vessel.

Do you think that the energy sheathing and masking circuitry is appropriate for a heavy scout? As in the ability to be able to see out . . . and yet not be seen.

Alternative Tactical Load out

Here is an alternative Tactical Suite . . . it uses the same SUs . . . but a more balanced foward/aft weapons ratio

Changed weapons are itilicized

Tactical Systems
    Forward PHASER Array 38
    Type: X
    Damage: 200 [20 Power]
    Number of Emitters: 160 (up to 4 shots per round)
    Auto-Phaser Interlock: Accuracy 3/4/6/9
    Range: 10/30,000/100,000/300,000
    Firing Arc: 360 degrees forward
    Firing Modes: Standard, Pulse, Continuous, and Wide Beam

Aft PHASER Array 15
    Type: V
    Damage: 100 [10 Power]
    Number of Emitters: 80 (up to 2 shots per round)
    Auto-Phaser Interlock: 4/5/7/10
    Range: 10/30,000/100,000/300,000
    Firing Arc: 360 degrees aft
    Firing Modes: Standard, Pulse, Continuous, and Wide Beam

Forward Torpedo Launcher 14
    Standard Load: Type II Photon Torpedo (Damage 200)
    Spread: 4
    Range: 15/300,000/1,500,000/3,500,000
    Targeting System: Class Beta
    Accuracy: 4/5/7/10
    Power: [20 + 5 per torpedo fired]
    Firing Arc: Forward, but self-guided

Aft Torpedo Launcher 14
    Standard Load: Type II Photon Torpedo (Damage 200)
    Spread: 4
    Range: 15/300,000/1,500,000/3,500,000
    Targeting System: Class Beta
    Accuracy: 4/5/7/10
    Power: [20 + 5 per torpedo fired]
    Firing Arc: Forward, but self-guided

Dorsal Microtorpedo Turret 9
    Standard Load: Microtorpedo ER (50 Damage)
    Spread: 10
    Range: 15/30,000/60,000/120,000
    Targeting System: Class Gamma
    Accuracy: 3/4/6/9
    Power: [2 Power]
    Firing Arc: Dorsal, but self guided

Ventral Microtorpedo Turret 9
    Standard Load: Microtorpedo ER (50 Damage)
    Spread: 10
    Range: 15/30,000/60,000/120,000
    Targeting System: Class Gamma
    Accuracy: 3/4/6/9
    Power: [2 Power]
    Firing Arc: Dorsal, but self guided

Torpedo load: 80 8
    Microtorpedo load: 500 5

TA/T/TS: Class Beta 9
    [1 Power/round]
    Strength: 8
    Bonus: +1

Micro Torpedoes

I was looking into why the things had such a short range . . . and I came about the Memory Beta Webpage for them. They are also talked about in passing, near the end of the article, on the Memory Alpha page for Torpedo Launchers. Wow they are small! . . . like .50cal bullet small!

12.7x99mm round (.50 BMG)

Microtorpedo

Now with this information . . . I can see why . . . it's because they don't have the magnetic accelerators . . . however, over time, say 10/20 years . . . with miniturization, why couldn't they? Or provide a lower powered accelerator then the massive ones used for the Photon Torpedo launchers?
    This could be one logical reason for there being an extended range Microtorpedo in the future . . . I could see this using the same SUs but costing more Power to use . . . say increase the base to 4 and add .5 for every microtorpedo fired?
    Last edited by JALU3; 05-21-2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added images