Thread: 1st Age chat game - anyone for it?

1st Age chat game - anyone for it?

The best time I've had Narrating was my First Age game I did a long time ago. I'd love to recreate that experience sometime soon (preferably on Friday nights, but I'm flexible - Sunday is out, though). The number of players doesn't matter much (in fact, a small group is best). Right now I'm really in love with the Gondolindrim, so it'd be cool to do something from its building until its fall. There's a lot going on in Gondolin: war, politics, romance, adventure, all sorts of things.

Format and Style
    Besides the chat format for the sessions, I really liked using epistolary blue-booking. IOW, using letters and sending them as e-mails or posts to a Yahoo group as a way of documenting events that happen in the First Age. It was really fun because it was really flavorful, especially considering how time passes for the Elves.

Style-wise, I'm interested in what's happening between the lines, the nuts and bolts of what goes on behind the tales of the Elder Days. We understand things from a "historical" POV, but what about on the personal level?

Player Characters
    Ideally the group would have 3 or 4 PCs, but I can work with more or fewer players depending on taste. I'm a pretty RP-intensive Narrator, but I like to use the rules to enhance this rather than to pretend they don't exist. I like giving you the tools to really represent the character you envision, so I'm fairly generous with advancements and Renown. But I'm a stickler for well-rounded characters who want to do things for personal reasons without needed a prod from the Narrator.

Approach to Canon
    As far as canon goes, the overall sequence of events remains the same. The major players are still the same. But some small details may change based on what the PCs do.

So, is anyone game?
    Men are weak.
    Elrond for President!
    Vote Peredhel!

I'm game...like I said on the Decipher boards. Also, how's the 1st Age SB coming?

I'd be in except for the chat aspect. Getting people from across the country or world even to chat at the same time and same day is more difficult than getting a bunch of people locally to commit to the same thing. I would highly suggest considering PBP, especially on Tomcat's site.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

pbp

I think pBp can work, but I'd have to do a different style.

Something that really worked for me was an epistolary style. Things like letters and journals written from the 1st-person POV. I think it'd be hard to manage considering Gondolin's pretty much on lock-down for much of the 1st Age.

But . . .

It can still work. There are some canon instances where an individual or small group (Aredhel, Voronwe & co.) goes into or out of Gondolin.

The only issue would be handling rolls and rules. I'm not into making people post more than once or twice a week. And anything like combat or extended social interactions can grind things to a halt.

I have another game system I made up that can work very well for an online game. It's very simple compared to CODA. I played with it once for a Matrix game and had a blast. I don't know how you feel about diceless systems, but it's proven to be a lot more dynamic than accounting.
    Men are weak.
    Elrond for President!
    Vote Peredhel!

I'd be very interested in playing, if this game's still active. I'm new to the forums here, but I've been roleplaying for years and am a big Tolkien fan.

Sure, it's still open. I'm looking for 3-4 players tops because I like the intimacy of smaller games.

The problem will be getting started. I like CODA, and I really want to use my 1st Age SB, but if we have to do pbp, I'd prefer my narrative system.
    Men are weak.
    Elrond for President!
    Vote Peredhel!