Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Worlds" & "Mirror Universe" PDFs Availability

"Worlds" & "Mirror Universe" PDFs Availability

I would like to get the "Worlds" & "Mirror Universe" books that were only released via PDF (iirc). Does anyone know where I can get copies of them at? I am happy to buy them, if there's a "retailer" selling them.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

2 places spring to mind.

RPGnow http://www.rpgnow.com/
    DriveThruRPG http://www.drivethrurpg.com/

If you look at "Select Publisher" and goto Decipher they should have both books listed. They both take "Paypal".

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Darth Sarcastic; 05-07-2008 at 07:24 AM.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Ignore my previous post, I just looked at those sites and as of today those links no longer carry Decipher product...my apologies if you were mislead. I don't know what the ramifications of my posting those files here would be. If I/we get the ok from the moderators, then I'd be happy to post both files.

Otherwise you can still goto those links for good rpg stuff in general.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

^ Posting the files to a public website for general consumption is illegal, as is selling them on your own, since you don't own the copyright to that material.

Whether Decipher or CBS would actually enforce their copyright, though, is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti View Post
    ^ Posting the files to a public website for general consumption is illegal, as is selling them on your own, since you don't own the copyright to that material.
    The downside of the PDF revolution–no more used books.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    The downside of the PDF revolution-–no more used books.
    Yes. This is VERY MUCH true.

I have no problem going on ebay, or going to half-priced store and buying used books.

This situation is just annoying, and one I fear will just get worse as time goes on and more books are PDF only, etc.

Weeeell, if there's enough people buying to guarantee someone will purchase it through a POD service, then there's a physical book lying around someplace.

Whether anyone's done that with those two pdf's, I don't know.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I have mailed DriveThru with a question regarding the books. I also asked them why I - as a customer who has already paid for the books and was granted a number of downloads for their money - can't download the books anymore.

Anyway: This is the answer I recieved:

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience. We no longer represent the publisher
    of the product and have been asked to remove their products from our
    database, so we can no longer sell or provide downloads for them. While
    it is rare that we lose a publisher, we do suggest you back up any of
    your purchases to avoid just such a dilemma in the future.

For clarification, your purchase entitles you to download the product
    for your personal use as many times as needed as long as we are able to
    provide the download, the download count is only there to try and
    prevent piracy. Your purchase does not necessarily buy you five
    downloads nor are you limited to only five downloads on any of your
    purchases. If you ever run out of downloads on a product just let me
    know and I will happily reset the download count.

Thank you for your business and please feel free to contact me with any
    further questions or concerns.

Jeff Montgomery
    Customer Service
    DriveThruRPG.com

Cut wrote:
    > ---------------------------------
    > Hello there.
    >
    > I have a question regarding the pulled e-books by Decipher Inc. I have made purchases of the Star Trek PDFs Mirror Universe and Worlds as well as Paths of the Wise from the Lord of the Rings line. I have made only 1 of my 5 downloads per book (4 Downloads of the books are listed as remaining!) and now the titles seem to be gone.
    >
    > As an example I include the error message of Star Trek RPG World
    > Customer Id:
    > Order Id:
    > File: Dphr-StrTrk_Worlds.pdf
    >
    > I feel a little bad about this. I have paid good money for a certain number of downloads of the books and you seem to be unable to provide these any more, or am I wrong?
    >
    > I think that even if Decipher's LotR and Star Trek RPG licenses expired, you should be able to supply customers, that purchased these titles back when the license was valid, with their bought numbers of downloads.
    >
    > So I kindly ask you to tell me, if I will be able, to download the books, when I want to do that again and if not, if there is anything you (or Decipher Inc.) are trying to compensate me?
    >
    > Please don't get me wrong. I like your store, I am completely pleased by your great customer service. I am just not pleased with what I just found out today about those titles!
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    >Cut

To be honest I agree with their response, I always consider I'm buying the product. The first time I used them for something I was suprised to see the multiple downloads. I've never used it, I do my one download and then copy to disk in case of a crash.
    Sounds like their hands are tied if a publisher insists they have to pull the product. I imagine the legal battle for them to try and continue to offer the additional downloads to just the people who've already bought it and (like me) and still have 4 additionals showing for everything wouldn't be worth the cost.
    The "villian", if you will, in this case is obvious ... I find it odd that they wouldn't leave their products available and happily take the money from those who still want to buy them. You'd think that if they converted their existing books too, and maybe were able to put together say the Peacekeepers and Klingon books that sounded like they were done or near to it they'd be able to get even more money.

Quote Originally Posted by RealPity View Post
    The "villian", if you will, in this case is obvious ... I find it odd that they wouldn't leave their products available and happily take the money from those who still want to buy them. You'd think that if they converted their existing books too, and maybe were able to put together say the Peacekeepers and Klingon books that sounded like they were done or near to it they'd be able to get even more money.
    I think it's rather obvious by now that "the villain" is even more aggressively incompetent than Cobra Commander.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by RealPity View Post
    The "villain" is, in this case is likely the LAW, and not Decipher as you've hinted to.

They very likely do not have the license anymore to sell the rpg book.

Or, if Drivethru (or whomever) was not working out for them, why should they stick with a bad buisness venue?

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    I think it's rather obvious by now that "the villain" is even more aggressively incompetent than Cobra Commander.
    I swear there's a curse when it comes to Trek RPGS !

[QUOTE=Markraven;169446]They very likely do not have the license anymore to sell the rpg book./QUOTE]

Touche, a valid (and unfortunate) point

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    "I waassss once aaa maaaaaannn..."

This seriously ticks me off! I purchased both products when they were released and had 4 downloads remaining for each... both files were lost when my backup hard drive decided to take a dump.

I located Worlds via usenet... still can't locate a copy of Mirror Universe.

Yancy
    In the... jingle.... jangle mornin'.... I'll come following you....