Thread: Combat Style...Better as a Trait perhaps?

Combat Style...Better as a Trait perhaps?

The more I look at "Combat Styles" the more I feel they should have been an Edge. After all, many forms of martial arts are both Armed and Unarmed in nature.

Basically, I would see buying the Edge at the normal costs. Then, when you meet the prereqs of a given form's power/ability, you pay 1 (or 2) advancement point to 'learn' that specific form.

This avoids some of the complications of tying things into a skill like they have it set-up. For instance, now, if I buy a Klingon Martial Arts and Klingon Traditional Weapons...they could, and would logically, have the same exact specialization. Furthermore, I could add that soldier's specialability to focus, on one spec (of the same weapon) and not the other... It's just messy!

Thoughts?

Hmm... isn't that functionally how it is, already? "Key traits cost two advancement picks each, just like regular traits."
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Yes, you pay for Traits per the combat style, but you're missing the point. The system--as is--is based on the Combat Style being a SKILL.
    Last edited by Markraven; 05-09-2008 at 08:25 AM.

It brings up the question of what is the post-chargen difference between a combat skill you bought in the Armed Combat category and the Unarmed Combat category, if anything. If you're okay with advancement points from packages that were designated for skills in the armed combat group bleeding into unarmed combat uses, you could simply design a combat style with 'unarmed' or 'limb' as one of the specialty weapons (or vice versa, an unarmed combat style that also includes the specialty weapon rules).

As an aside, the rules for Armed Combat in the Skills chapter don't help, because they say that you have to buy non-simple weapons (e.g. a bat'leth) as individual skills, and then describes Tradition Klingon Weapons as a single skill that you can choose bat'leths as a specialty of.

EDIT: And, after checking the SOM again, I find the grapple rules are there instead of, say, the PG. Way to go, Decipher. Way to go.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry