Thread: Design Contest what went wrong?

Design Contest what went wrong?

After the First Design contest ended with no one submitting a design i'd like to start a Poll to see if there would be intrest at all in such a contest.
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Spacedock was tied to ICON, it was a more advanced space combat system off the ICON basic combat system. The system overall has been surpased in common usage by CODA.

As for myself not designing something . . . I had said I would be willing to judge . . . however, since no one submitted anything, including myself, there is nothing to judge. Therefore, you can say that I am part of the problem. I was thinking of submitting a design by the AM . . . but since the dead line has passed, I guess the contract has passed, and thus even if I submit a design it wouldn't be accepted.

I think the problem is . . . how many people on these boards are actively using Spacedock?
    Since I have been only involved in NWoD games for the past year, and have not found an ST group here in San Diego . . . I haven't had the ability to utilize my love of ICON and Spacedock.
    Well . . . maybe I should go online with my interest . . .

But that doesn't answer the question. What went wrong was lack of submissions and lack of interest . . . except for you and I.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

As for myself not designing something . . . I had said I would be willing to judge . . . however, since no one submitted anything, including myself, there is nothing to judge. Therefore, you can say that I am part of the problem. I was thinking of submitting a design by the AM . . . but since the dead line has passed, I guess the contract has passed, and thus even if I submit a design it wouldn't be accepted.
    I had a design in the back of my mind as well - No wonder though, if you start a contest you have something on your mind already. And this kept me from submitting anything because it was my idea in the first place.

And for submitting to late... well i would have given you much more leeway because it was the first contest at all.

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!
    I was thinking that a more focused contest may have been more effective as well, and at least would help me. For example, post a design request in the form of a contract, with some specifics, or even posting a piece of concept art and have several designs based on that image.

Brian K. Wrote: I was thinking that a more focused contest may have been more effective as well, and at least would help me. For example, post a design request in the form of a contract, with some specifics, or even posting a piece of concept art and have several designs based on that image.
    I actually thought i did exactly that, i prepared a contract form SC that called for the Design of a Heavy Scout Class called Orion Class that should replace the ageing Rigel Class Heavy Scout. I assumed that any would be designers would look up the capabilities of that vessel and use it as a guideline. A better Engine, somewhat better armaments and an EMH Mk2, would be some features to start with.
    I restricted the Size of the vessel and emphasized the role it was expected to play (- a cheap "pocket explorer" with fewer manpower requirements than a Intrepid Class Explorer). I thought this would suffice as guidelines as i assumed that any more would curtail the possibilities and choices a designer could make.

I understand SC would put a lot more effort in this giving more requirements for the Design (Expected Medical Rating, Security Rating; Speed Requirements Armaments, Shield Strength etc. ) but i decided againstany more specifications (Especially if one looked the Rigel Class up and took the Specifications found there to heart).

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca