Thread: Doubling Torpedo Penetration

Doubling Torpedo Penetration

I've always thought that torpedoes were woefully underpowered in the CODA system. In rare excepetions, they always have lower penetration values than beam weapons. I'm toying with doubling the penetratio values to represent that they are a far more destructive force. And that when you use them stuff goes boom.

Thoughts?
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

The only issue I have with that is two fold...

What would stop the players always using photorps and never using phasers (it got like that in my game as it was LOL, because of the range issue)

and because there's no numerical limit on Photorps in Coda, which is something which always annoyed me.

I think if you did that you'd have to reduce the number of them, or devise practical limits based on the size of the vessel and the number of launchers, a bit like how cargo is calculated.

I'd also say possibly just increase it by a smaller percentage than double too, or it would horribly upset system balance!
    Ta Muchly

Good points.

1) I would end up reminding the players that they are playing star trek, not star fleet battles. If it continued, I guess Star Fleet command would start making their lives hell. That and I would have enemy ships return the favor. Because in the end it isn't in the spirit of Trek to be torpedoing everything.

2) The torpedo load our doesn't bother me much. It's never been a concern on screen (voyager being an exception) so I don't think it's an issue for me to be honest.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    2) The torpedo load our doesn't bother me much. It's never been a concern on screen (voyager being an exception) so I don't think it's an issue for me to be honest.
    When was it ever a concern on Voyager?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

The seemingly limitless supply of them. In several episodes they mentione the atual torpedo complement on voyager. And supposedly you can't replicate the casings for some of the more advances torps.

- Carl Zwanzig

I liked the initial idea of scarcity of resources, and need for alternate sources. The whole idea of power/replicator rations was a nice twist. Sadly, within a couple season I think they more or less abandoned the story aspect of that.

Things like "Yeah, we never really run out of torpedoes" and "Yeah, we can make a whole new section called stellar cartography" and "we always have enough power to have the usual holodeck adventures/mishaps" or "yeah, we can create a whole new space frame of advanced tactical shuttle onboard our ship, suck it Utopia Planitia!"

I suppose, theoretically with industrial replicators, eventually you can restore your photorp stores. You can't do an instant handwavium, but offhand I can't think of things that would prevent you from eventually replicating the casing for a torp. The main concerns would be the antimatter stores and stuff, but thats not really a big deal in trek-lore to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Voran View Post
    The main concerns would be the antimatter stores and stuff, but thats not really a big deal in trek-lore to get.
    It should have been, though.

That's the damn problem with Voyager, was that the writers didn't have balls to make the show the depressing, trouble-wracked thing it should've been–that they said, at the outset, they wanted. It's like half the TNG team left to do something different, and the other half went off and make TNG's lame, thoughtless brother.

The upshot of that is when deciding what to do for a game, Voyager doesn't really give you any help, other than showing you what not to do. If you are a thousand light years from the nearest starbase, someone in your game will be like, "so how many torpedoes do we have?" and if you answer "As many as you want!" it'll break that little suspension of disbelief thing they got going on. Which, since this is an sf game, you don't wanna do.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 06-02-2008 at 10:11 PM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Well not wanting to get TOO far off topic or go up against people's personal takes on things: I think in Voyagers early seasons they were in a WAY less advanced region, however, through trade and friendly contact they got hold of supplies to create/modify into things like torpedoes.

Antimatter is actually a non issue, because The Photorps have variable yields - i.e. they have a Antimatter injection assembly built into the launcher, so it's presumably coming from a central store or directly through a feed from the antimatter containment area. While it's never established, the Enterprise D did actually have an Antimatter production plant, so in all likellyhood so did the Intrepid class, because of it's mandate of deep space exploration.

What I did find actually rather silly was the rate at which they used up their energy reserves, seeing as how these ships are supposed to be able to go on a deep space exploration! Yes they should have been highly aware of conservation of energy, but the power seemed to drop at a stupid rate, early on, which didn't make much sense Traveling at high warp is energy intensive, yet they should be able to do it for quite a few YEARS without refuelling!
    Ta Muchly

You gonna Asspierce-me, or just send me a dead Rat?
    Here's my take on improved TNG launchers:

Spread 1 Launcher
    Space: 2
    Offense Value: 4
    Minimum Size: 2
    Developed: 2320

Spread 2 Launcher
    Space: 3
    Offense Value: 6
    Minimum Size: 3

Spread 3 Launcher
    Offense Value: 6
    Minimum Size: 2

Spread 4 Launcher
    Space: 4
    Offense Value: 7

Spread 5 Launcher
    Offense Value: 7
    Developed: 2322

Spread 6 Launcher
    Space: 4
    Offense Value: 8
    Minimum Size: 4

Spread 7 Launcher
    Space: 5
    Offense Value: 9
    Minimum Size: 5

Spread 8 Launcher
    Offense Value: 14

Spread 9 Launcher
    Offense Value: 16
    Developed: 2340

Spread 10 Launcher
    Space: 6
    Offense Value: 20
    Minimum Size: 6
    Developed: 2352

Spread 11 Launcher
    Offense Value: 22
    Developed: 2370

Spread 12 Launcher
    Space: 7
    Offense Value: 25

Spread 13 Launcher
    Offense Value: 26
    Developed: 2403

Spread 14 Launcher
    Space: 8
    Offense Value: 28
    Minimum Size: 7
    Developed: 2406

Spread 15 Launcher
    Space: 7
    Offense Value: 32
    Developed: 2418

Spread 16 Launcher
    Space: 10
    Offense Value: 40
    Minimum Size: 8
    Developed: 2495
    "Always beware of anything said by a person with a smile." -Cronan-sama
    http://www.cronan-memorial.com

http://sites.google.com/site/memoryeta
    Initially Trek, but haphazard Archival Site, no need to make it a Wiki.

http://web.archive.org/web/200410151.../ssd/ssds.html
    Don Miller's SSDs for Star Fleet Battles are here, axing the URL past sfb takes you to the main site.

How about giving Torpedoes 1.5x damage after the shields are down (or Damaged), it could encourage beam weapons to be used primarily and torpedoes for the "kill shot".

I also thought that Starships entries mentioned torpedo loadouts ?

You gonna Asspierce-me, or just send me a dead Rat?
    From way back in 2003, I wanted some CODA launchers that reflected spread capability, and finally, after a few different versions, the ones you see were made and posted.
    "Always beware of anything said by a person with a smile." -Cronan-sama
    http://www.cronan-memorial.com

http://sites.google.com/site/memoryeta
    Initially Trek, but haphazard Archival Site, no need to make it a Wiki.

http://web.archive.org/web/200410151.../ssd/ssds.html
    Don Miller's SSDs for Star Fleet Battles are here, axing the URL past sfb takes you to the main site.