Thread: Old Games and Windows Vista

Old Games and Windows Vista

Is there a web site that list old games that can play on Vista with or without tweaking?

Can anyone recommend a good DOS emulator for Vista (and not because it's free)?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I have Vista Premium and I have found if you load SP1 many of the former XP compatiable games that would run on Vista would no longer run . . . until they fix that I won't do Service Pack 1 . . . which makes it less stable, but my wife wants what she wants.
    As for old DOS games . . . I am not sure, however . . . Vista does what it should do . . . but what it doesn't do it needs improvement on.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

My current contact with Vista is more like a doctor with incurable plague patients. So I try to keep my exposure to it to as minimal as possible.

But have you tried Dosbox? According to their wiki, it should run fine under Vista. But it seems like you need to edit the configuration files if your not an administrator.

My experience with Dosbox so far has only been a positive one. But I am mainly running "X-Com Enemy unknown" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    My current contact with Vista is more like a doctor with incurable plague patients. So I try to keep my exposure to it to as minimal as possible.

But have you tried Dosbox? According to their wiki, it should run fine under Vista. But it seems like you need to edit the configuration files if your not an administrator.

My experience with Dosbox so far has only been a positive one. But I am mainly running "X-Com Enemy unknown" on it.
    How could I NOT be an administrator if I own/use my own PC and no other?

Can't find new PC with XP installed ... short of applying for a plastic and order one online. Best Buy in Hawaii does offer to install XP SP2 (not SP3, I hope) on new PCs with Vista pre-installed ... for $130.

Even worse, many recent PC games (as early as late 2007) still list single-core CPU on their [minimum/recommended] system requirement label when dual- and multi-core PCs have already been in the market for about a year. I'm pulling my hair trying to figure if the game that requires 3 GHz single-core can run on 2 GHz dual-core, much less optimized for dual-/multi-core CPU.

Exactly how many game companies are supporting Vista OS and/or dual-core CPUs?

P.S. My P4 1.4 GHz single-core PC is nearing 8 years.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I hardly ever look at boxes to see required processor speeds--the bottlenecks are almost always video card and ram-related.

A lot of games out on the market now take advantage of dual core. 3 or more cores, not so much.

I haven't had any problem running anything on my stock speed 2.4 ghz quad processor, though, even things listed as requiring 3 ghz.
    "Guy, you have a last name."
    "Do I?! DO I?! For all you know, I'm 'Crewman Number Six'!"

My half-assed d20 Trek homebrew.