Thread: Second Age What if...?

Second Age What if...?

So if things go right, Sauron accidentally kills Ar-Pharazôn before the fleet leaves for Valinor. I'm deciding what would happen next.

Elendil and sons convince their erring countrymen that Sauron has led them astray, Numenor is saved but the War of the Ring occurs an age sooner?
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Well, what I've come up with is this: Tar-Miriel, the rightful ruler, orders one of the characters to go through the armies and find all of the possible Faithful or at least those who support the ruler over the philosophies of the King-men and have them stay behind to 'protect Numenor' while she sends the fleet to deal with Sauron. However, half the fleet is sent around to the East to attack Saurons support base. Basically she's sending them off to no where. While their gone she'd marry Amandil (who's wife I'm assuming is dead by now).

Anyway, that's what *I* came up with so far. Not much after that.

Hello...? *Neekerbreekers chirping*

No one. No one has any ideas. These forums can't be THAT dead.

They're pretty dead.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

They were prettier when they were alive.

But yeah, it's faily quite around here these days.

Still,

Going with the idea in the thread:

-After the death of Ar-Pharazôn does Sauron manage to wrest control of Numenor and essentially turn in into an island version of Mordor?

-Maybe the Numenorieans just kill Sauron after the death of Ar-Pharazôn. It could turn the whole hostory of Middle Earth on it's ear. The Sec0ond Age becomes a Golden age of Men. THe Elves either begin to depart for the West when the 3 rings loose thier power, or enjoy thier current lands now that the shadow no longer threatens them.

THis could lead to a potential conflict between the Evles and MEn if the Men of Numenor decide to colonize Middle Earth.

Perhaps the Balrog of Moria becomes a major player in the history or MIddle Earth. IF Sauron is captured or slain, the Balrog would probably be the most powerful force of evil left on MIddle Earth. Perhaps he decides to try and conquer Middle Earth, speading out from Moria.

It is possible that the same/similar events still occur, but the waning of the Numenorean blood happens much quicker. I would also agree that conflict may arise with the Elves with or without the Dwarves (that would depend how much resentment is engendered between the peoples).

I'd venture to say that if Sauron is destroyed early on and the Balrog came into prominence that you'd likely not see the Istari sent to Middle-earth either.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

That is the thing about "what if" ideas. The open the door for a lot of speciulation and possible futures. It all depends on what series of events the narrator wishes to focus upon.

Considering how the Numenoreans were being duped by Sauron, it is also possible that Ar-Pharazôn'S sucessor could be tricked into attacking Valinor and that the rest of history is unchanged.

Or, perhaps the death of Ar-Pharazôn is taken as a wake up call by the Numenroeans, who end up remaining faithful.

It all depends on what the Narrator chooses to focus on. So many possibilities.