Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADB Wants System for SFB RPG

Post ADB Wants System for SFB RPG

Saw on the Pyramid Online discussion boards that ADB wants to take another shot at an RPG set in the Star Fleet Battles universe, and they're looking for a system to use, basiclly wanting to license an established system. Now, while it isn't established yet, maybe Decipher should talk to them <g>. That would be interesting; the "official" Star Trek universe and a highly variant one in the same system...

Allen

Maybe introduce Cygnans, Cromargs, Zoolies, Q'Naabians, Veltressai, and Hydrans into the former LUG universe?

------------------
    The Trekkie Formerly Known As Surak, AKA The Coch, Humble Creator of the Bwuutut and Mensaeans, Aba and Zwickau, and the Perseus Federation, Guy Who Still Hasn't Actually Played The Game, And Who Finally Decided To Use A Signature.

Exclamation

This will never happen. Paramount detests the license loophole that allows ADB to do what they’re currently doing (SFB) and would like nothing better than to see them disappear off into the night. While Decipher and ADB could talk about such an arrangement, Paramount would, in a word, freak out. (And probably cause great ire and damage Decipher’s relationship with Paramount.)

Take my opinion for what it’s worth.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don:
    This will never happen. Paramount detests the license loophole that allows ADB to do what they’re currently doing (SFB) and would like nothing better than to see them disappear off into the night. </font>
    I've seen this loophole mentioned several times in several different places -- What is the loophole that they've found and are using?

Gamethyme

Hey, is that an Allen Shock sighting!?!

(Keep in mind I’m not too knowledgeable on this topic, but I’ll do my best.)

[Lots of incorrect information removed.]

If anyone has more accurate information, please share it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 06-04-2001).]

Oh, and in case your wondering, the Interplay Starfleet Command and Starfleet Command 2 computer games do use the Star Fleet Battles game engine, however Interplay is able to use Movie Era graphics because their licensing agreement with Paramount allows them to.

I doubt Paramount was too happy with Interplay using Star Fleet Battles to drive their modern computer game, or even including PDF previews of the books on the Starfleet Command 2 CD-ROM. Not that Interplay probably cares anymore – they lost the Star Trek license. (Activision has the larger, more comprehensive Star Trek computer game rights now.)

------------------

hmm... D20 Prime Directive, anyone?

------------------
    The Trekkie Formerly Known As Surak, AKA The Coch, Humble Creator of the Bwuutut and Mensaeans, Aba and Zwickau, and the Perseus Federation, Guy Who Still Hasn't Actually Played The Game, And Who Finally Decided To Use A Signature.

Arrow

Not seeming to be rude here Don but your statements are in error.

Error One
    "The original Star Fleet Battles boardgame was done by Task Force Games from a license obtained by Franz Joseph Designs (not Paramount)."

Actually ADB was the original designer of the game, not task force who only later aquired the title. The Game was designed with FJ knowledge and approve for use of his material

Error Two:
    "For some reason, somehow, Franz Joseph’s license allowed his company to license out Star Trek to other companies, without the permission of Paramount, in perpetuity."

Paramount at the time had nothing to do with this as Franz Josephs work was released under the Ballentine License. FJ however kept strong creative control of all elements which he himself made, inclduing the Deckplanes which were his alone.

error three
    "(This was all back in the early days before anyone knew the cash cow that would become Star Trek in 1975.)"

The original Deck plans sold so hot no book store could keep them in stock, it was at this point GR and, Paramount who had a strong and good working relationship with FJ began to take notice. FJ stock with Paramount was so high that they wanted him to be a "technical advisor" on The Motion Picture or have any relation with the production due to his popularity with the fans. FJ refused, even his daughter mentions that he was coming across as not a team player and that caused a lot of trouble.

error the fourth
    "This loophole allowed Task Force Games (and now Amarillo Design Bureau) to publish their derivative work (i.e. “Star Fleet”) but only if they remain within the confines of Franz Joseph’s original work. "

Your mention the Deal, First ADB had to fight with Task Force games to get the SFB title back. After that they went to Paramount who worked with them to allow the game to be continued, as Pissing Off a huge fan base would cause a bit of trouble in the ranks. The deal struck allowed ADB to produce the game in the universe which ADB had developed, save X era ships and material, over the last 20 years, This included other works such as Federation and Empire and Prime Directive. FJ had nothing to do with the development of the SFB universe save for the four original ships and the Tech manual, alot to be sure, but when compared to the various game suppliments, modules and logs a tiny amount of the overall material.

Further ADB and Paramount cooperated on the development of "Starfleet Command", the popular computer simulation which takes place in the SFB universe during the General War era (The TOS movie era). And even though Paramount had intended to cancel Interplays deal for Star Trek products it has decided to allow Starfleet Command to be developed with the exception of the Kzin which have now have been renamed and is in fact part of a longer range plan to replace the Kzin in the SFB universe.

If anything a live and let live air exists today and if ADB would come knocking at Deciphers door they would be, excuse me, Blithering Idiots of the first order not to work something out, considering the fan popularity of SFB and the fact it would be a Direct compititor if given to another company to produce. Paramount would be pleased because at last the ADB SFB title would be locked in some way with normal procedures and they could exercise some control or, at the least. get some money.

There is a web site with a long interview with Karen Dick, FJ's daughter, which really goes into detail about the whole affair. I am going to go search for the web site now.

Arrow

Found it go here

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Star...ememberfj.html

Click on 1999 interview with Karen Dick and be prepared, this is real Star Trek history ala True Hollywood stories style

Also it seems Interplay is not tye developer of Starfleet Command but a little division of Interplay called "14 Degrees East" made up of the entire Starfleet command development team. ANd Activision controls only the games, Simon and Schuster control the information programs like the companions, E-tech manuals and the like.

[This message has been edited by Eric R. (edited 06-04-2001).]

If Don is right and Decipher can't use the Star Fleet Universe, I think it would be cool in D20 or GURPS. Or maybe West End could do something with it.

------------------

AslanC Guest

Some of us hanbg on the Starfleet Games discussion board and Steve Cole has been very cool with us about the upcoming PD II. As it stands right now, according to what he has hinted at two of the following systems are currently negotiating for the rights to do PDII, though much of what they want to do has to be approved with Paramount as well;

D20 (I could live with it, but only for Prime Directive, not Regular Trek)
    D6 (My choice...hope hope hope)
    GURPS (Not sure it really works, most of the GURPS stuff for ST of any type seems heavy handed and too much point adding)
    Fuzion (My fear...)

An announcement is going to be made at Origins (as of Steve's last comment on it on May 29th)

Hope this helps those who wanted to know.

Head over if youa re interested, you will find Steve (much like the LUG/Decipher gang) is very open, friendly and interested in discussing ideas.

http://www.starfleetgames.com

Follow the link for the discussion boards and enjoy

(I'm gonna have such a hard time running two games in two different systems come this fall :O )

Talking

Thanks for the in-depth clarification, Eric! It’s always great to have someone in the know!

(BTW, I never said Interplay was the developer – they are in fact the publishers. 14 Degrees East and Taldren both developed products released under the Interplay banner.)

I’ll back off on my position of “never” and concede to a “really highly unlikely” stance.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eric R.:
    Interplays deal for Star Trek products it has decided to allow Starfleet Command to be developed with the exception of the Kzin which have now have been renamed and is in fact part of a longer range plan to replace the Kzin in the SFB universe.</font>
    The reason why the kzin are not included is because of the licencing problems with Larry Niven

Karg

Arrow

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don:
    Thanks for the in-depth clarification, Eric! It’s always great to have someone in the know!
    </font>
    Not in the Know, just incedibly lucky that I found that interview!

I guess the internet can be of "some" use everyonce in awhile

Wowza! I were hoping there were a site like that. I'ze submitted my registration.

I'd say the best bet is D20.

------------------