Thread: Historical Context in Campaign Scenarios

Historical Context in Campaign Scenarios

Has anyone designed a campaign to mirror a historical scenario, whether tactical, political, strategic?
    For instrance has anyone had their PCs conduct a delaying action like the Cavalry did down the Luzon plain? Or how about reinacting the charge of the light brigade but in the future . . . or maybe even something not as clean or clear . . . such as the country side of Indochina.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

In that case, the question would be what you were saying about the incident in question. Is the charge of light brigade doomed, but ultimately a noble act? Or is it a useless exercise? Is the Federation arming the wrong side in what they think is a proxy war? Did the Tzenkethi interpret the Federation ambassador's reiteration of the Prime Directive as tacit approval for an invasion of a neutral world?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I was just using those as examples. My question more so is, has anyone used a historical scenario to base an episode of their campaign. For instance the delaying action of the 26th Cavalry down the central plain of the island of Luzon . . . or say the reconing and feeling out of two opossing tasks forces during the Battle of Midway . . . or the defeat of the US Cavalry at the battle of San Pasqual against a technically inferior force due to inferior tactics. If so how does one translate those scenarios given the abilities of the PCs technology in the future?
    For instance, has anyone done a Dunkirk scenario, and seen how their players reacted . . . or the raid on the French fleet at Mers-el-Kebir..

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I'm running a "Lost Years" era campaign and I've got a Gorn attack on the Federation based roughly on the Japanese attack on the British Far Eastern colonies. The basic idea is a radical faction of the Gorn Confederation attacks a remote section of the Gorn-Federation border and seizes several planets before the outnumbered Federation border squadron can react. The Gorns hunker down and try to make retaking the captured territory so difficult to recapture that the "weak" Federation will sue for peace giving the Gorns the best planets that they captured during the initial invasion. This strategy is very similar to the Japanese plans during the onset of WW2.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

You mean the entire, fight to the last man, dig in like termite defensive strategies . . . have the enemy pay for every inch, that they will sue for peace strategy? How did you simulate the fall of Singapore with their land based flanking manuever? The lack of fighter cover which lead to the sinking of the Prince of Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    You mean the entire, fight to the last man, dig in like termite defensive strategies . . . have the enemy pay for every inch, that they will sue for peace strategy?
    That is the basic idea. Make each of the least desirable and farthest from the Gorn border planets so brutal to recapture that the Feds choose to come to terms getting back some of the planets originally captured, but ceding the ones the Gorns really want to them.

How did you simulate the fall of Singapore with their land based flanking manuever? The lack of fighter cover which lead to the sinking of the Prince of Wales?
    The Gorn invasion is only loosely based on the WW2 Japanese strategy. I would say the best way to simulate Singapore would be to have an upgraded K7 style base station (I don't see a true Star Base being in the area) and rather than attack the base station, with it's still formidable defenses directly, bypass the station and cut off it's supply lines, which is a close enough analogy to suit me.

The lack of fighter cover which lead to the sinking of the Prince of Wales?
    This one is going to be more difficult to represent, but my best guess would be that have a Enterprise Mk I and a Reliant Mk I sent to reinforce the front beset by two dozen Gorn Destroyers. The Feds will smash several of the Gorn ships, but will be overwhelmed by the large number of smaller ships.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

I have thought above the same idea . A few ideas were
    The PC get a key piece of information about fleet locations , starting trouble behind the lines , and the classic hero strike at the right time and place .

Quote Originally Posted by toadmage View Post
    I have thought above the same idea . A few ideas were
    The PC get a key piece of information about fleet locations , starting trouble behind the lines , and the classic hero strike at the right time and place .
    Well why don't you post some of them and maybe we can add to, and help out.

sorry for taking for long to post my ideas .

The game i was running stopped long ago . We never got to the start of kilngon Fed war . I was trying to set up the reason for the war . The Klingons were building up their fleet to repulse the return of the Old Knigs . The PC figure out though 4 or 5 adventures that the Old Kings were gone forever . Now the Klingon has a huge fleet and looking for a fight .

The PC ship is a small scout or light destroyer . Here are a few ideas

The USS Nelson is tracking large number of civilian freighters , nod fed traders and other signs traveling just over the bonder line . This is weird cause the Klingons keep a tight control of alien ships movements in their space . The Klingon are building a forward base for an attack on the Feds . The time is before the war breaks out . This is important to know where the Klingon supply bases are .

The focus of this adventure is how the PC figure out what is going on . I am running the game but do not have full control of it . The guys who were playing would have many ideas on to figure it out .

This next one takes place during the war . The Klingon fleet has set a trap for Star Fleet . The klingons need take a star base in the sector . The combine Feds force of star base and Fed warships can not be defeated . The trap is to bait the Fed Fleet away from the star base .

The focus is for get word to star fleet command . How would the PCs figure out the trap ? The only three out comes are the trap worked , leaving Star Fleet weaken in this sector , Klingon attacks the starbase thinking the warships are away or nothing both sides knew to was a trap .