Thread: CODA as a generic Fantasy RPG?

CODA as a generic Fantasy RPG?

Sorry if this has been talked to death, but I have been out of loop and can't find any threads that really deal with this.

Has anyone worked out a way to do a generic rpg with the CODA rules (not touching 4E with a 10 foot pole).

I looked over my copy of the LOTR rules and can't see how to add Duids or Clerics... so that's part of what I am looking for.

Any thoughts? Links? PDFs?

Why can't druids and clerics (which are more a trope of D&D than of "generic fantasy", in my mind) simply be handled as magicians who wield certain types of magic exclusively, and believe that magic comes from "the gods"? That's all D&D really does. You could easily create an Acolyte basic order and elite orders for Cleric and Druid (or even different religions entirely, if you prefer). Should you want magic from divine sources to have a different feel, I suggest you look at Greg Stafford's world of Glorantha as a model.

[EDIT: Just by way of afterthought, you could base the Acolyte basic order loosely on the Mystic basic profession from Star Trek and tart it up with spell picks rather than psychic powers. Not sure how that differs from a Magician, though.]
    Last edited by RaconteurX; 07-25-2008 at 04:00 PM.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC View Post
    Sorry if this has been talked to death, but I have been out of loop and can't find any threads that really deal with this.

Has anyone worked out a way to do a generic rpg with the CODA rules (not touching 4E with a 10 foot pole).

I looked over my copy of the LOTR rules and can't see how to add Duids or Clerics... so that's part of what I am looking for.

Any thoughts? Links? PDFs?
    GandalfOfBorg, Mathew Kearns, created the Basic System Resource Document for Coda out of his Harry Potter CODA rules. Both sets of rules are on the CODA Lives! website.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

I don't know that the BSRD would really be much help, CODA having such a hit-or-miss mindset to it. Just look at the racial template costs, as an example. The Trek ones are all within a few points of one another, but those from LOTR are all over the map. And there are no real guidelines for creating new Professions. I would be inclined to hybridize CODA with a game that has more useful design advice, like True20.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

CODA BSR tells you what the points break down is for races in terms of advancement picks and all, tells you how I fixed edges and abilities and how to create your own, how I rationalized clerical type magic (for a lack of a better word) based on comments on this board previously, plus more! It's more than just generalizing the CODA system but a comprehensive look at the system by making a toolkit out of it... take a look! Besides, get Paths of the Wise, it gives some good info on Elite Orders that are similar to druids. If you want more info on certain things, talk about them here and I can add it to the BSR.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

Hey, it's AslanC. Whassup.

The Loremaster profession probably covers most abilities of monks, priests, witches or shamans.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Last time I looked at the BSR I thought it was very Harry Potter bent, has that changed? I am going to redownload it and see what's what

What is "Paths of the Wise" and where do I get it?

Paths of the Wise was a supplement for LOTR, expanding on the material concerning Magicians, Loremasters and their related elite orders. You might be able to find a print copy on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by RaconteurX View Post
    Paths of the Wise was a supplement for LOTR, expanding on the material concerning Magicians, Loremasters and their related elite orders. You might be able to find a print copy on eBay.
    As it was a pdf-only release I think that i would be very hard to come by a print copy.

It was so long ago, Cut, that I just plain forgot (or at least it seems like long ago, given the hell I've been through these past several years). LOL

No worries You are maybe more closely on target than I would have imagined. Maybe there are print versions out there on the internet auction houses.

Printouts not authorized by Decipher maybe as Paths of the Wise and Isengard were PDF-only pubs.

There is a Harry Potter RPG that I created and then there is the CODA BSR, two different docs, but I did model the BSR's chapter format off of the Harry Potter CRB.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html