View Poll Results: Which System Do You Use?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • CODA

33 53.23%
  • ICON

28 45.16%
  • GURPS

2 3.23%
  • D20

3 4.84%
  • Homebrew

11 17.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which System Do You Use?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Yeah, I don't know–I guess I just hate those moments of dicebag-fishing. Or needing a huge-ass dicebag at all, really. Older games like CoC are worst for this, cause you show up with two d10s in your pocket and then someone needs a d6.

I want a d24.

Wow,
    That would pretty much cover over 90% of the RPGs produced. Quite a few good games caught in the net too.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Wow,
    That would pretty much cover over 90% of the RPGs produced. Quite a few good games caught in the net too.
    Part of it comes from being in a group that rarely touches multipolyhedral games, aside from D&D. Heroquest, nWoD, GUMSHOE, etc.

The dicebag-fumbling gets annoying once you're unused to it.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Part of it comes from being in a group that rarely touches multipolyhedral games, aside from D&D. Heroquest, nWoD, GUMSHOE, etc.

The dicebag-fumbling gets annoying once you're unused to it.
    A good many of my favorite RPgs are "mulitpolyhedral". Ahtough some only use 2 differernt type of dice.

We always just take a setof dice out and use that, and seem to avoid "die bag fumbling". Not that it doesn't stop "die fumbling"-rolling off the table.

FOr me the thing I find annoying are "monopolyhedral" RPGs that have people roll an unwieldy amount of dice. I think it is too slow and cumbersome to roll, say 17d10 and sort through the results.

Note, I'm not taking something like roll 2d6, 3d6, percentile dice and so forth, but the games that have people rolling handfuls of dice.

A good many of my favorite RPgs are "mulitpolyhedral". Ahtough some only use 2 differernt type of dice.

We always just take a setof dice out and use that, and seem to avoid "die bag fumbling". Not that it doesn't stop "die fumbling"-rolling off the table.

FOr me the thing I find annoying are "monopolyhedral" RPGs that have people roll an unwieldy amount of dice. I think it is too slow and cumbersome to roll, say 17d10 and sort through the results.

Note, I'm not taking something like roll 2d6, 3d6, percentile dice and so forth, but the games that have people rolling handfuls of dice.
    I'm one of the odd ones that loves doing that. Star Wars d6 is one of my favorite systems and I love the pool of dice.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    I'm one of the odd ones that loves doing that. Star Wars d6 is one of my favorite systems and I love the pool of dice.
    I can't think of that many dicepool games. There's d6, Storyteller, LUG... what else?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I can't think of that many dicepool games. There's d6, Storyteller, LUG... what else?
    Over the edge, and L5R comes to mind. I7m sure that there are a few other we missed.I don't mind the concept as long as you usually don't have to roll more than, say, a half dozen dice at any time. It shouldn't be a Challenging task in real life just to roll the dice for attempting a Challenging task in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    I like the d6 system , too. Generally the number of dice rolled was under 10 dice, and they were all D6s. THe cubed shaped d6 is better suited for rolling handfuls. We used to use a set of small dice and didn't have to go chancing dice on the floor much more often than normal.

Over the edge, and L5R comes to mind. I7m sure that there are a few other we missed.I don't mind the concept as long as you usually don't have to roll more than, say, a half dozen dice at any time. It shouldn't be a Challenging task in real life just to roll the dice for attempting a Challenging task in a game.
    Yeah, it's a hassle, especially when I'm just rerolling the same die.

I use Unisystem, from WitchCraft, Buffy etc.

Tchau!
    Superseeds #111: Victoria, part 3. And check out our Patreon!
    Writing: Death of a Swordsman (in The Duelist's Guide), Atlas of Earth-Prime: South America (RPG), and more
    Patchworld: Unisystem Amber (fan)

ICON for the win!

I've been playing Star Trek RPG campaigns since 1982 and while FASA holds a very special place in my heart, ICON is the best system I've seen for Trek. Aside for being simple and easy to use the writers and designers just 'got it' better then most of the others.

Well, except for that not starting out as the bridge crew thing...

AD
    Barking Alien

Check out my blog - Now with more Star Trek RPG goodness!
    http://barkingalien.blogspot.com

Yeah, it's a hassle, especially when I'm just rerolling the same die.
    LOL! I just started up a d6 Star Wars camapign, and experienced just this thing with one of the players. He had to keep rolling the same die over, and keep a running count of the total. But he forgot to roll the wild die, and had to do it all over again, but rolled the wrong number of dice. The third time was the charm and he successfully managed to roll initiative.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

FASA or CODA

I've been an avid FASA player since 1991.

The percentile system makes it easy for me to figure up game-stats for just about anyone or anything I can throw into the game.

And I homebrewed my own Starship Combat system (rather than pay a "collector's item" price for a copy of FASA's). I doubt I could have done anything like that on any other system.

But, I recently picked up the CODA books on line. The system was easy to learn. And so far my characters from our FASA campaigns have been easily converted.

I've never played a D20 game, and I've heard CODA is very similar. But, it runs smooth, and fast in my book ! It reminded me a lot of the Unisystem used in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG.

Low attribute scores (2-12 instead of the 30-cap of FASA's Doctor Who, or the 1-100 of FASA-Trek), edges & flaws (Qualities & Drawbacks in Buffy), and the basic system of rolling 2 dice, and adding mods to beat a target difficulty number are all similar to Buffy/Unisystem.

I've played all the variations since I first picked up the FASA version in the late 80's. Right now I am enjoying and preparing for the CODA system.

When it comes to Trek, the system I use most is the CODA system. I didn't get much of a chance to work with the ICON system, though the little time I spent playing with it I did like it pretty well. I played every edition of the old FASA game and loved it. When you've been roleplaying as long as my group has, individually and as a group, you get your hands on and try a huge variety of games, as well as versions of games over the years, such as the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises.

The similarities between CODA and the d20 system don't bother me. Then again, I like the d20 system for the most part. Its certainly better than some systems I've played, but admittedly is a bit complex.

The CODA system appears complex at first (and trying to create a character strictly from the layout of the Player's Guide is enough to turn a lot of people off, and usually does), but once you understand the fundamentals of the system, its actually not complicated at all. I've seen quite a few converts in roleplayers that are friends but not part of my ridiculously large core roleplaying group (about 33 strong, though we obviously don't all play at the same time! That'd be a seating and refreshment nightmare).

Anyway, there are several dice pool oriented games out there, like the ones already listed. In addition, just off the top of my head, I can think of Shadowrun, Earthdawn, the old WEG Star Wars d6 game, original World of Darkness, new World of Darkness, White Wolf's Exalted/Aberrant/Trinity lines, and I know there are quite a few more that I just can't think of at the moment.