View Poll Results: Which System Do You Use?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • CODA

33 53.23%
  • ICON

28 45.16%
  • GURPS

2 3.23%
  • D20

3 4.84%
  • Homebrew

11 17.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which System Do You Use?

I'm a FASA guy too. I've pretty much butchered the rules over the years, but fundamentally it's still FASA for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post

Would you mind throwing up a sample savage worlds trek character?
    Not at all

Lt Sean Lochard - Wild Card

Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigour d6
    Skills: Climbing d4, Fighting d6, Investigation d4, Knowledge (Navigation) d6, Knowledge (Starship Tactics) d4, Notice d6, Piloting d6, Repair d4, Shooting d6, Survival d6
    Pace: 6 Parry: 5 Charisma: 0 Toughness: 5
    Edges: Starfleet Officer: Conn, Level Headed
    Hindrances: Cautious, Junior Officer.

This is one of the characters from the scenario "Stopping At The Beast", which was published in the LUG Star Trek RPG narrators guide. I ran this game a couple of months ago and it went very well.

Savage Worlds can handle Star Trek as well as most other things. I limit the number of bennies (hero points) to one per session per character to keep things more "real". I also don't allow the Adventure deck, which gives you one off special abilities.

Here's my take on an Andorian out of interest;

Andorians

The Andorians come from a clan based society in which the dual of honour, the Ushaan, was introduced to end centuries of clan wars. Their ice bound homeworld has bred a hardy race who were instrumental in the founding of the Federation, despite a previously volatile relationship with the Vulcans.

Special Abilities

Code of Ushaan: An Andorian will seek recompense for any perceived slight against himself, his clan or his family through, the Ushaan. This is a ritualised form of personal combat. In effect, the Andorians start play with the Vengeful (Minor) hindrance.

Frigid Homeworld: The Andorian homeworld is largely icebound. Andorians gain a +2 to resist the effects of cold.

Loyal: The Andorians come from a rigidly clan based society and loyalty to their clan, family and shipmates is deeply ingrained. Andorians begin play with the Loyal hindrance.

Resilient: Andorians are unusually hardy and start the game with a d6 in Vigor.

Special Sense: The Andorian antennae serve to grant the members of this race a kind of “extra” sense. Andorians receive +2 to all notice rolls involving hearing. This ability is lost if the antennae are damaged in any way.

Renny

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    I'll throw up one as well.
    Nice take on the Vulcans, by the way.

Renny

Quote Originally Posted by Renny View Post
    Nice take on the Vulcans, by the way.

Renny

Thank you kindly. And you on Andorians.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Just wanted to point out that I like the LUG and Decipher system's fine but as I have to struggle to get my guys to play Star Trek, it makes more sense to use Savage Worlds which is pretty much our regular system so that we can get on with playing adventures rather than spending time learning a new system, and that applies to me as the GM as well.
    If you're interested in seeing more of the conversion you can find it here.

Savage Star Trek

These wikipages are not well organised at the moment but i'm hoping to organise things better in the next week so please check back.

Renny

I have an irrational loathing of systems that use more than one die type.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I have an irrational loathing of systems that use more than one die type.
    Well, that's certainly your perogative but I agree it's irrational

Renny

Quote Originally Posted by Renny View Post
    Well, that's certainly your perogative but I agree it's irrational

Renny
    Yeah, I don't know–I guess I just hate those moments of dicebag-fishing. Or needing a huge-ass dicebag at all, really. Older games like CoC are worst for this, cause you show up with two d10s in your pocket and then someone needs a d6.

I want a d24.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I use ICON material but adapted the mechanics to FUDGE.

Gotta love, ICON. I use some other systems as source material for ideas, but they all end up converted to ICON.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Well, frankly Icon is the first place I go to for source material as the line was so coherent. That and the Spacedock PDFs are solid gold and Steve Long should have received some sort of award for them
    I like the Decipher Aliens book as well and the way in which Aliens are described there makes it a lot better starting place for conversion to Savage Worlds as it uses the same method of edges and hindrances to describe the races.
    But Icon is still my favourite. I ran my longest campaign with it and still think it holds up well. Coda was not a bad system but the books are frankly too disorganised for me to get much use out of them, certainly the Players Guide, anyway. The problem I have is that I generally only get to run my ST games as one or two week fill ins, and it makes much better sense to use Savage Worlds, which we are all very familiar with, than to try and get everyone up to speed for Icon only to play something else the week after.

Renny

Cool

I currently use ICON, and have previously run FASA 1st and 2nd edition, as well as a homebrew using modified Twilight 2K rules. I have GURPS PD, but no plans to use it, and have a playtest copy of CO(no, we aren't D20)DA. I've been running a game since FASA originally came out and have most of what they put out, as well as everything LUG put out except the TNG Narrator's Toolkit. If someone brings out a new version which isn't D20 (as opposed to with the serial numbers filed down) I'll look at it, but since I'm not on a fixed income, I'll be a hard sell. I have enough stuff to run forever.

I've run ICON and CODA (the latter since the playtest), but am now working on creating a version of the game using Tri-Stat dX...

So far (still in the preliminary stages), it's shaping up pretty well.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I've run FASA and ICON, and while I hav3 not run CODA Trek, have/am running CODA LOTR.

Overall, I prefer ICON, although there are a few things in CODA that I like, such as maneuvers in starship combat.

As a player it was LUG but CODA wasn't out yet. I run CODA now but use a lot of material from LUG like all the Romulan stuff.