Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trek MMORPG News

Would it nor be more fitting to name each raid, if there are any form of raiding system, as Task Forces?

Man, I was kinda hoping that it would involve starting as an ensign in the bowels of an average starship, doing "Lower Decks"-style duties and missions (and getting to be the redshirt!) until you made rank.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    So anyone want to come up names for our rpging guild for the ST:O?

How about name it after a task force mentioned in the show, or a squadron mentioned in the show . . . or a fleet number mentioned in the show? Or how about simply with the url of this forum?
    I'm sorry guy, but what's wrong with the good old Trek-RPG-Net (or Trek-RPG-Guild if you like)? I mean if we're going to be representing ourselves as a group why not stay with the name that have been identified with us for around a decade now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    Must... resist... not ending up playing another...

Nah, who am I kidding. Where do I sign up?
    LOL, I'm in great pain now thanks!
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Man, I was kinda hoping that it would involve starting as an ensign in the bowels of an average starship, doing "Lower Decks"-style duties and missions (and getting to be the redshirt!) until you made rank.
    I was too, though I can see why Cryptic took this approach. I'm assuming to prevent the following type of scenario.

CO: Science officer, give me a scan of that incoming vessel. (long pause) Science officer?
    SCI: ...sorry, that Big Mac didn't settle with me well. What'd you need again?
    CO: Never mind. Tactical, raise shields and arm weapons.
    TAC: stfu capn gaylord
    CO: Tactical, they're closing in on us!
    TAC: u r so gay BSG RULEZ!!1!!!11!
    (explosion)
    CO: Engineering! Damage report! (another long pause) Engineering?!!
    ENG: (sound of long drawn-out inhaling) ...dude, relax, little hull breach never hurt NO-body...

On a semi-related note, leave it to the Penny Arcade guys:

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/8/13/
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417 View Post
    I was too, though I can see why Cryptic took this approach. I'm assuming to prevent the following type of scenario.

CO: Science officer, give me a scan of that incoming vessel. (long pause) Science officer?
    SCI: ...sorry, that Big Mac didn't settle with me well. What'd you need again?
    CO: Never mind. Tactical, raise shields and arm weapons.
    TAC: stfu capn gaylord
    CO: Tactical, they're closing in on us!
    TAC: u r so gay BSG RULEZ!!1!!!11!
    (explosion)
    CO: Engineering! Damage report! (another long pause) Engineering?!!
    ENG: (sound of long drawn-out inhaling) ...dude, relax, little hull breach never hurt NO-body...

On a semi-related note, leave it to the Penny Arcade guys:

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/8/13/
    Dude, there's nothing they can do to prevent that : P
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Dude, there's nothing they can do to prevent that : P
    True. Still, I see the rationale.
    chris "mac" mccarver

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417 View Post
    True. Still, I see the rationale.
    I imagine not answering your command competency test with stfu n00b would be a requirement, though...

EDIT:

When you get your first ship, you will have to recruit your bridge crew. Your bridge crew plays a lot like pets play in other MMOs. They will be AI controlled, and as you play with them, you will have to increase their skill sets.
    This, however, is very cool.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 08-15-2008 at 02:39 AM.

Ummm . . . I suggested that we make our url our guild name. However, the url owner suggested we go with a numbered fleet. Read earlier in the thread. I made that suggestion earlier, I swear.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    Ummm . . . I suggested that we make our url our guild name. However, the url owner suggested we go with a numbered fleet. Read earlier in the thread. I made that suggestion earlier, I swear.
    You did, and it is in the very quote.

I don't mind at all having a guild named after us. But TrekRPGnet would most likely be seen as a hang out guild. Those are nice, but most often be to general to support the game play. Sooner or later, people tend to leave such guild to find something a bit more fitting their gaming style.

So depending on how guilds and associations are implemented (and maybe it still is possible to influence their design decision in that regard). But if it is possible to be member of two or more guilds, or user created chat channels and one guild, then propose this structure.

TrekRPGnet (our general hangout/chat)
    Nth Fleet (for the ones that want to have a UFP character)
    House of xyz (and one for the ones that prefer the Klingons)

Or instead of having a formal guild, we can start a forum based channel, if they allow that option. But wouldn't it be nice to have our own guild? And I like your idea CPT if we can have sub-sections to that one guild . . . maybe it should be named a JTF (Joint Task Force) since there will be the two allegiances.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Hehe well if and when it ever comes out (how many aborts so far!) It would be cool to game with you guys.. assuming I buy it
    Ta Muchly

I'll have to see which console it's coming out for... right now, the only gaming platforms I own that could possibly run it are my laptop which barely runs WoW and an Xbox 360 (which is currently on is way to Microsoft after suffering a case of RROD).

Then again, I was planning to get a PS3 for when DCUO comes out.
    chris "mac" mccarver

So does everyone agree?

Joint Task Force Trek-rpg.net

And if they don't allow other then letters and spaces JTF trekrpgnet?

USS Last Unicorn? : P

USS Last Unicorn? : P
    But we also have FASA and Decipher sections Tat.

@JALU3: You have my vote for Joint Task Force Trek-rpg.net
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"