Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trek MMORPG News

You can RP with other players and with NPCs, inclduing your bridge crew, but you are correct you will not be touring your ship on a deck by deck basis.

You will be able to beam, down to planetary surfaces, other vessels, etc.
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

As far as I understood, you might be able to walk around your ship, but every other crewmember will be a NPC anyway, so I don't think there will be a lot of room for intra-ship roleplaying.

Won't prevent me to try the game, when (or is it if ?) it is released. Hey, it's Trek anyway. Sort of.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

That is a whacky way of setting up a trek rpg isnt it?
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

I love the idea of the gameplay, but every damn Trek out there seems to be a weird bizarro-world variation on it.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ramey View Post
    That is a whacky way of setting up a trek rpg isnt it?
    It makes sense, from a certain point of view. After all, the main character in a Trek series is usually "the crew of starship XXX", with its Captain the emblematic figure, so it doesn't strikes me as (too much) odd that a trek rpg give players the opportunity to be that crew (or its Captain).

Besides, in a purely MMORPG point of view, it allows to avoid dealing with the problem of "uh-oh, the medical officer just got disconnected, and the pilot has gone to grab a sandwich, and the ship is stuck in the middle of a nebula with harmful radiations and Romulans ships nearby".
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

The command crew yes, I was under the impression from the reading it was just the commander on the ship. Besides which, where better for alot of RP other than on the ship itself? 10-Forward and such.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

STO Update

From a recent designer interview:

1. In-game economy and crafting are still under design. There will definitely be units of trade, crafted items, skills and an auction house but the details are still being worked on.

2. Gorn are going to be in the game as part of the Klingon faction and they will release pictures of it soon.

3. Players who are interested in the community features of the game – guild and player info, friend lists, etc. - should pay close attention to the Champions Online launch over the next few months because STO will use the same platform.

4. Ground combat will NOT be first-person-shooter type but at the same time it will be a lot more fast-paced than traditional MMO combat. There will be positional aspects involved but it’s not going to be a “twitch-fest”.

5. Ship to ship combat is real time but it won’t be like a dog fight but rather paced like old ships-of-the-line.

6. The game will support roleplaying aspects like writing your back story, organizing a fleet, and customizing your ships and your character.

7. Standard guild mechanics like common storage space, ranks and uniforms, will be in place.

8. There will be penalties for dying in the game but they will be minimal.

9. The “overworld” universal map is a 2D map which you navigate to get to various points of interests and star systems.. with a “little bit of 3D movement to make it look cool”.

10. You control your ship as an avatar from outside the ship. At launch you will not be able to walk inside your spaceship but there are plans to implement that later. There will also be content that allows you to board other ships and you will be able to walk around in those.

11. Character advancement involves picking a career – engineer, scientist or tactical – and the skills that you choose as you advance define the role you play.

12. Voice chat will be supported within the game.

13. At launch, every player will be the captain of his own ship and piloting it himself, but there are plans to allow for 4-player crews in the future.

14. Players are forced to choose a faction – Starfleet or Klingon – and cannot be privateers.

15. Space is deep but there will be an easy means to join up with friends and exploration content will be plentiful.

16. Smaller ships will be more maneuverable therefore bigger ships won’t always mean better

If you are intertested in joining an expereienced and respected guild, join the STO fleet of the 57th Midnight Squadron. Check it out here
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Bumping this old thread

I failed my resistance check... so I have pre-ordered. Now I just have to hope that my old machine actually is strong enough to run it.

How much information is there so far on the guild system?

Hm... different dates for Europe and US. Might be that they plan to run with separate server parks.

Anyone that have heard if they are planing for one big universe, or several shards with separate parks on each side of the pond?

New gaming machine ordered to replace my 5 year old P4. So no worries for me any more if I will be able to run it.

I must admit that the main reason I am going to give the game a chance is because it is Trek.

The server farm seems to be placed somewhere around Boston, and it seems to be just one "server." On the other hand, if it becomes "to popular" and they need to create shard, then they could add accidental travels between them

Far to much speculation on the forums about what they do mean with instances. One of the main reasons why I quite Everquest II was because of how they had made instances of everything but the two start cities. So if I get a "Do you want to enter Sector 001 #1, Sector 001 #2, or Sector 001 #3?" I might leave quite fast.

But if it is only the missions, then I can actually see it helping to help building the right Trek feel. Would be quite annoying if being on an away mission on a remote planet, and 42 other ships away teams are running around there at the same time.

To bad the ships interior isn't in the game from the start. Being able to walk around and just socializing in the ship is important to me. But as long everything else do work, I am ready to wait for that.

But there is a few points that actually is enough for me to get the game in any case.

The Miranda class is in the game.

I will be able to keep my Miranda even after I get a new ship.

Can't say that I mind that much that I am able to achieve my goal with only a few hours of gameplay (well, character creation).