Thread: New ST Movie

New ST Movie

I am just wondering if anyone else thinks that this might be a "Reboot" of the story and everything. A reimagining and update like Hollywood has done with so much lately? I will keep my opinion as to the good / bad of the idea, I just want to know has anyone heard anything or believe that this is the case?
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

It is, it will be, and well . . . there we go.
    I will see it, and I hope to be pleasantly surprised . . . however, I did advocate a post DW DS9 movie.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

This mirrors a discussion I had with some Star Wars friends about why they made ANOTHER movie (animated this time) about the Clone Wars, when there are so many other stories to tell.

Quite frankly, despite fans, the larger audience that the studios seek (aka everyone in the 'modern' world) need something that they are familar with. For SW, it's stuff like known heroes, familar villians and some easily marketable vehicles. Things are a little harder for ST; some people have never been exposed to anything other than TOS, so making a "Lost Era" movie or a post DW movie would mean explaining more to the audience then the average studio exec would like, so the easier route is to simply "reboot" the franchise. This becomes more needed, as our own tech level has in some ways surpassed what was envisioned as being our future.

So, we are getting a new Trek; fans will be split, as we always are. I would like to see it do well, and create a new Trek line, similar to what Marvel has done with it's "Ultimate" line (the modernized comics that are attempts to bring the stories to the modern age without all that messy continuity.....basicly, think of the last few Marvel movies and you're got the Ultimate universe!).

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ramey View Post
    I am just wondering if anyone else thinks that this might be a "Reboot" of the story and everything. A reimagining and update like Hollywood has done with so much lately? I will keep my opinion as to the good / bad of the idea, I just want to know has anyone heard anything or believe that this is the case?
    Well, Nimoy appears as Spock, which would be kind of like seeing Richard Hatch go in for sex reassignment surgery in BSG if it is a reboot.

That said, no series was the same kind of take on Trek as the last one. At least they have Eaves doing conceptual design.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Hey... apparently, Kevin Smith (He of "Clerks" and other movies) has seen an advanced screening of the movie, and was interviewed about it. Of course, he had to be coy, but...

Smith: I saw a movie last night that I cannot talk about.

Host: Was it good?

Smith: It was phenomenal.

Host: Any stars, any break out stars, and do they trek?

Smith: The stars absolutely trek in this film. It is fantastic. Anybody who was worried doesn’t need to be worried–about this film I cannot talk about…It was in very capable hands. The director did a phenomenal job–the director and his crew. Top notch cast and the guy that plays the lead is an instant star. That dude is going to be so famous. He is so wonderful. He picked up a role that I would say is pretty challenging for someone to step into the shoes of, because it is a role that has been played before many times by the same guy.

Host: How do you out Shatner, Shatner?

Smith: I don’t know what you are talking about.

Host: I was just saying that as an expression.

Smith: Yes, absolutely, in a world of expressions, I would agree with that…I am so not good with this game, you are going to bury me man.
    So, that may help people... depending on what they think of Kevin Smith...
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Cool, I like Kevin smith and he speaks sense

i'm slightly excited about it hehe, shame it's SOOOO long till it comes out!
    Ta Muchly