View Poll Results: Will the new Star Trek movie bring us a new Star Trek RPG?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I am reasonably sure of that.

8 14.29%
  • No. I don't see this happening.

28 50.00%
  • There might be somehting new in the works, but it'll take some time.

17 30.36%
  • I know that there is something in the works. I just can't say what.

3 5.36%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek movie --> New Star Trek RPG?

Quote Originally Posted by REG View Post
    Concerning everyone's fear that WotC might bid for it -- not my fear -- best NOT to have a new Trek RPG. I'm satisfied with what I have.
    Actually, as of this very moment, I'd be okay with WotC doing it. I'm pretty sure they could put together a good set of freelancers along with their inhouse dudes.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I sit on the fence somewhat. I would like to see more material published for the lines we have (either icon OR coda) but that is not going to happen now, outside of the fan realms.

A new RPG might look nice, but I agree with the sentiments of others, I wouldn't like it unless it was super-glossy - and it didn't suck! Otherwise it would just be depressing
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Actually, as of this very moment, I'd be okay with WotC doing it. I'm pretty sure they could put together a good set of freelancers along with their inhouse dudes.
    SHHH!!!

That's what I said before I got into a self-imposed exile from here.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Do we really need a new RPG ? Between ICON and CODA, it seems to me we have enough material to cover almost every series, and there are fan resources galore on the Net for whatever comes next.

I don't think a new RPG will come out unless a new ST series starts, something I don't see happening before some time. Then either, if the movie is a reboot, and successful (something I dread personally), then such a series could happen sooner than expected.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Well if the new movie does well, and Hasbro makes a lot of cash, or spots the potential for it, it's quite possible they might re-kindle the flame in WOTC for a new game. However I can't see it as likely given their newly fangled 4ed. But one neer knows.

I agree on the 'all the stuff I could need' part, but I would have liked more source books. Period, plus a living game is better than an old one!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    Period, plus a living game is better than an old one!
    I have to personally agree with Tobian's statement here. Not to mention the fact that, while those of us who've devoted a lot of time to keeping things alive for our own purposes, in terms of producing fan material and so forth, it doesn't really help newcomers to Trek RPG gaming. Yes, WE have FASA, ICON, and/or CODA, but FASA's been out of print for decades, ICON for maybe half that time, and I imagine the CODA book supply will dwindle to zero very quickly if it hasn't already. All the supplements we produce are going to be pretty much useless if the core material isn't readily available except through means that I WILL NOT endorse, recommend, or even make mention of here, even if it wasn't against forum rules to do so.

At the same time, it may be a foregone conclusion since tabletop gaming has become more a niche market than ever before. Pen-and-paper RPGs haven't had a chance to come close to thriving in the face of CCGs, HeroClix-style miniature games, MMOs, and videogame consoles. After all, why plan out a campaign and work everyone's playtime schedules when you can either dump the cards on the table or throw the disc in the Xbox in a minute fraction of the time needed?

I guess whether a new RPG is needed is in the eye of the individual. Holding onto existing systems means we've already got what WE need, but should we do that at the expense of closing the door to others? And while a new game would bring in new gamers, would it alienate too much of those of us of the old guard to bite that big a chunk out of the support for it? Do we risk becoming so insular with our hobby that dwindling interest and other options will eventually spell the end of the hobby?
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

*rubs his eyes and reads again*

Am I in the right forum?

Where's the WotC hate?

--still dreams of Trek d20, since 2000.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Where's the WotC hate?

--still dreams of Trek d20, since 2000.
    They've redeemed themselves with SAGA and 4e : P
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

They've redeemed themselves with SAGA and 4e : P
    Star Wars Saga (not the card based SAGA System from TSR)? I can deal with that.

4e? *body shudders violently*

Sorry, my loyalty still lies with 3e, True20/MnM, OGL-based SRD-based games, and soon Pathfinder.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

4e? *body shudders violently*

Sorry, my loyalty still lies with 3e, True20/MnM, OGL-based SRD-based games, and soon Pathfinder.
    I'm waiting for True20's next iteration to incorporate more of the 4e structure. It shouldn't be a huge problem, as it's already halfway there...

Oh I still hate them, we only did that ranty bit to annoy you Reg :P I'm out of practice now

I still don't think it's likely we'll see trek by WoTC in the short term, but then it's a year away till the movie, so you never know!
    Ta Muchly

I'm waiting for True20's next iteration to incorporate more of the 4e structure. It shouldn't be a huge problem, as it's already halfway there...
    Gawd, I hope not.

I'd rather they model after Star Wars Saga concept of the next-gen [albeit variant] d20 System.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Oh I still hate them, we only did that ranty bit to annoy you Reg :P I'm out of practice now
    You know what they say, "It's good to have mortal enemies. At least you're getting some attention around here."

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I still don't think it's likely we'll see trek by WoTC in the short term, but then it's a year away till the movie, so you never know!
    Nah. I don't see WotC offering two licensed RPGs of the same genre.

(Yes, you could argue that Star Wars is "space fantasy" but it still fall under the broad but distinct science fiction genre.)

Rather have a 3PP use the [3e] SRD to make a licensed Trek RPG ... but with an out-of-the-box approach to the rulesystem (like how Steve Kenson came up with Mutants & Masterminds the predecessor to True20).

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

OOh! I've never had a mortal enemy before! How fun? Hmm I didn't get the instruction pack in the mail? Is there a FAQ somewhere on what one does?

I kind of agree with you on the licensed thing, except with the 4e - it's all a bit in flux: a lot of companies have been burned by the move, and the design of 4e and the new equivalent of the OGL are a lot less flexible. What exactly happens now - it's a little up in the air. IMHO WoTC are trying that bit harder to keep hold of their market share, now the gaming market has shrunk some. But that's all conjecture at this point
    Ta Muchly