View Poll Results: Will the new Star Trek movie bring us a new Star Trek RPG?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I am reasonably sure of that.

8 14.29%
  • No. I don't see this happening.

28 50.00%
  • There might be somehting new in the works, but it'll take some time.

17 30.36%
  • I know that there is something in the works. I just can't say what.

3 5.36%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek movie --> New Star Trek RPG?

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    I think that Matthew Sprange has declared time and again, that he isn't a big Trekkie and therefore doesn't want to persue the license.
    Mongoose aren't likely to let anything like a fondness for or understanding of the material get in the way of pursuing a license. That said, there was an article in an old Signs & Portents magazine which indicated Star Trek was a property they had considered pursuing. Personally, i'd love to see an official Star Trek version of A Call To Arms, Mongoose's space combat game. Can't see it happening though.

Renny

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post

EDIT: Short answer: I don't want it to suck.
    Wholeheartedly agree with you there.

Renny

I'd like to think that some kind of new Trek RPG was going to come of the movie.
    But, we have to consider a few points:
    1) IF there was a new game, it would probably be based on the MOVIE, not the franchise. So, forget your Changling Dominon Overlords, Androids and (sigh) Gorn.

2)IF it was made, it would probably go to a bigger game company. Sadly, that means Wizards.

Of course, the Serenity game is the one that might prove me wrong: It isn't by WotC, and while it does focus on the movie, there are bits of info from the show that make it into the book.

At any rate, I'm just throwing my 2 scents in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I'd like to think that some kind of new Trek RPG was going to come of the movie.
    But, we have to consider a few points:
    1) IF there was a new game, it would probably be based on the MOVIE, not the franchise. So, forget your Changling Dominon Overlords, Androids and (sigh) Gorn.
    We haven't seen any evidence that the marketing deals for the new movie would have a New Line-esque reference-only-the-movie restriction.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

That might be the case, since no one can imagine a Trek without Klingons (although, somedays I think it would be nice....), but I'm just putting out things as I see them.

Of course, this update/relaunch/rethread will cause things that are Cannon to become nebulous: Chekov, a character not seen in the first season, is now there from the start. And the films antagonist, is a member of a race not seen until well into Kirks 5 year mission. So, who knows what this new Trek-verse has to offer for us.

It's like the regular Marvel Universe and their "Ultimate" universe: The names are mostly the same, but the origins and particulars of the characters have changed, sometimes drasticly (for example: Cable, who is the son of Cyclops from the future in the regular MU, is WOLVERINE'S son in the UU). And, at the risk of being stoned by the colletive, perhaps this could be a 'better' Trek-uni.

(don't hit the face....)

That might be the case, since no one can imagine a Trek without Klingons (although, somedays I think it would be nice....), but I'm just putting out things as I see them.

Of course, this update/relaunch/rethread will cause things that are Cannon to become nebulous: Chekov, a character not seen in the first season, is now there from the start. And the films antagonist, is a member of a race not seen until well into Kirks 5 year mission. So, who knows what this new Trek-verse has to offer for us.

It's like the regular Marvel Universe and their "Ultimate" universe: The names are mostly the same, but the origins and particulars of the characters have changed, sometimes drasticly (for example: Cable, who is the son of Cyclops from the future in the regular MU, is WOLVERINE'S son in the UU). And, at the risk of being stoned by the colletive, perhaps this could be a 'better' Trek-uni.

(don't hit the face....)
    Cable's actually Wolverine himself in the Ultimate U (/nitpick), but I get your point.
    Last edited by Mac417; 10-22-2008 at 09:24 PM.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Hey, everyone here knows that AslanC was the originator of the "Ultimate Star Trek" thang. I think J.J. Abrams owes the man royalties... or at least a walk-on part.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RaconteurX View Post
    Hey, everyone here knows that AslanC was the originator of the "Ultimate Star Trek" thang. I think J.J. Abrams owes the man royalties... or at least a walk-on part.
    Offer him a redhshirt with the most horrific death role.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Hey, maybe this is the start of the "Ultimate" Star Trek line.

After a couple movies, we'll move to NG: Where after years of war, the FED and Klingons will find peace when faced with the threat of.....The Borg!!!. Worf, a klingon warrior and expert on Human culture will be sent as a liason aboard the FED flagship, Enterprise.
    Of course, members of the U ENT crew: Riker, the homosexual First Officer; Data, the exotic female android; Troi, the empathic warrior woman; and Wes Crusher, the emo young kid thats a engineering genius, if you can motivate him!

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Talking

Hey, maybe this is the start of the "Ultimate" Star Trek line.
    If it is, shouldn't Kirk be a black dude?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Yeah, but you don't have regular-marvel Professor X popping through a time-portal into the Ultimate X-Men.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

True, you wouldn't have that.....normally. But if it hasn't happened yet, you know that one day, the Ultimate Uni will run smack dab into the Regular MavU.

Oh yeah, REG I forgot that.

But you know, we have such good talent on this board, if we really wanted to, we could make unoffical game material. Take this whole reboot thing and run with it, take this opportunity to mesh ENT with cannon.

Hmm, going to have to see if I can find AslanC's Ultimate Trek stuff.....

True, you wouldn't have that.....normally. But if it hasn't happened yet, you know that one day, the Ultimate Uni will run smack dab into the Regular MavU.
    Why would it? Wouldn't that undermine the entire point of the exercise?

Uhm, I'm thinking it would happen for the same reason that anything happens in the entertainment world:

The All Mighty Dollar! Sure it might, as you say, "undermine the entire point of the exercise", but there are probably fans out there who would love to see Wolverine and Ultimate Wolvie throw down.

But we aren't here to debate the future of Marvel comics.

Uhm, I'm thinking it would happen for the same reason that anything happens in the entertainment world:

The All Mighty Dollar!
    Well, except in webcomics. Usually.

Sure it might, as you say, "undermine the entire point of the exercise", but there are probably fans out there who would love to see Wolverine and Ultimate Wolvie throw down.
    And this is why the only spandex-genre comic I've read in the last like five years is The New Frontier.