View Poll Results: Will the new Star Trek movie bring us a new Star Trek RPG?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I am reasonably sure of that.

8 14.29%
  • No. I don't see this happening.

28 50.00%
  • There might be somehting new in the works, but it'll take some time.

17 30.36%
  • I know that there is something in the works. I just can't say what.

3 5.36%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Star Trek movie --> New Star Trek RPG?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    there are probably fans out there who would love to see Wolverine and Ultimate Wolvie throw down.

That's what the "Exiles" / "New Exiles" series is for.

In Series 1, they did an issue with a team full of Wolverines. Although I don't think Ult-Wolvie was one of them.

I LOVE Exiles.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post

I LOVE Exiles.

Me Too!!!

I think that the possiblity of a new RPG will depend on how well the film does. If it is a hit, then an RPG might happen. I would suspect/expect that such an RPG would include the usual TOS era stuff, if only to ensure a setting that is fleshed out enough for RPG purposes.

I could see a STAR TREK "Adventure Game" come out though, kinda like what Decipher did with LOTR. THat would have more mainstream appeal than an RPG, and give the games something to look at while they wait for the full rules.

Of course if the film seriously reworks Trek, we might get stuck with a RPG based on a version of Star Trek that we hate. Think-RPG based on Highlander 2.

Almost Worst case scenario:

Captain's Log-- Stardate* A Long Time Ago

USS ENterprise en route to the planet Tattoine where we are to assist in locating some stolen droids. The droids are believed to contain technical data considered vital to the Galactic Empire, a major stellar power. It is hoped that by recovered the droids we can open peaceful relations between the Empire and the Federation, a prospect that is becoming more difficult due to the Empire repeated demands for the Federation to "submit to imperial rule". The matter if further complicated by the possibly of a rebell faction ibe responsible for the situation, and thus forbid us form interfering in the internal affiars of another power.

Gary says he's "got a bad feeling about this", but since he's started wearing silver contacts and putting the ship's intercom of "reverb" I don't know when to take him seriously anymore.

Spock has reminded me that feelings are not "logical", still, that princess we saw in the transmission he intercepted (for a quit guy who keeps to himself, Spock is suspiciously good at that sort of thing) looks kinda hot,and it wouldn't be the first time I violated General Order One. Hey, she ain't my sister....

Only slightly worse.

I'd like to see Green Ronin take a shot at Star Trek using the True20 or Mutants & Masterminds mechanics. That's a Star Trek game that I'd definitely buy.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by mactavish View Post
    I'd like to see Green Ronin take a shot at Star Trek using the True20 or Mutants & Masterminds mechanics. That's a Star Trek game that I'd definitely buy.

mactavish out.
    As long it is derived (loosely) from 3.5e SRD and MSRD, I can tolerate.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

The ONLY way I'd support WotC doing Trek is if they used Star Wars Saga Edition's mechanics and NOT 4e-esque rules.

Mutants & Masterminds by Green Ronin I would highly support as well. Savage Worlds could handle Trek as well but I don't think they would have the cash to go after the license. I also think Cinematic Unisystem would work very well but I don't think Eden would have the cash either.

Quote Originally Posted by daddystabz View Post
    The ONLY way I'd support WotC doing Trek is if they used Star Wars Saga Edition's mechanics and NOT 4e-esque rules.

Mutants & Masterminds by Green Ronin I would highly support as well. Savage Worlds could handle Trek as well but I don't think they would have the cash to go after the license. I also think Cinematic Unisystem would work very well but I don't think Eden would have the cash either.
    I'm not trying to be snarky, but in my admittedly limited exposure to both Saga Edition and 4E, I find them disturbingly similar...to the point that I feel Saga was nothing more than a test run for 4E mechanics. Can you elaborate on their differences?

Saga Edition was indeed a test prototype for 4e BUT they took 4e to a totally different level to the point where there are extreme differences in the two systems. Most players I know and have read opinions from prefer Saga Edition over 4e.

Saga Edition shares more similarity with 3.5 than it does with 4e now.

Check out this thread for osme thoughts on the two: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106186
    Last edited by daddystabz; 04-01-2009 at 02:39 PM.

The splitting of the defences into three seperate scores that started with Saga Edition reminds me very much of a system Earthdawn practiced for a very long time before either Saga or 4E were out.

Indeed I like Star Wars more than 4E. But the way they handled the Force Powers doesn't work for me. Aside from that Saga needs very little tweaking and seems to be working (as far as I have used it) quite fine.

My group finds Force Points as being one of the best parts of the entire system. It is VERY Star Warsy in my opinion.

My group finds Force Points as being one of the best parts of the entire system. It is VERY Star Warsy in my opinion.
    Force Points are quite alright. The good old West End Star Wars Game had them.

I meant the Force Powers, the Force Suits and stuff. Treating the Force like spell-magic isn't very Star Warsy in my oppinion.

I thought the same thing when I first read the rules but in actual play it works extremely well and mimics the source material perfectly. You want multiple uses of a power then simple take that power more than once in your Force trainings and/or get the Force Point Recovery talent.

I thought the same thing when I first read the rules but in actual play it works extremely well and mimics the source material perfectly. You want multiple uses of a power then simple take that power more than once in your Force trainings and/or get the Force Point Recovery talent.
    I know how to get my Jedi character more uses of the same fp, but chosing beforehand what I can use how often isn't using the force. The force is there for the Jedi always and he can do whatever it is he can do with the force whenever he wants to, as often as he wants to. That, at least is my take of the sourcematerial...

But let's take this friendly argument over to another thread location

Thanks for the info! I might be inclined to check out Saga (although I'm pretty happy to dust off my d6 Rev & Exp)
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    Thanks for the info! I might be inclined to check out Saga (although I'm pretty happy to dust off my d6 Rev & Exp)
    Don't get me wrong: Saga is fun, real fun. There is a steady output of product these days and the format of the books is nicely different.

But I simply loved the old WEG Star Wars. It wasn't that elegant rules-wise (at least not before Rev.-&expanded) but the sourcematerial was just so nice and good (most of the times).

I still long for the days when we started the 'Dark Stryder' campaign.

Ah, good old days