Thread: New Traits

New Traits

What do you think of these new traits, and there cost.

Anaerobic Respiration (+2)
    You can also breathe in an atmosphere that is missing oxygen. Discribe witch extra atmospheric conditions you can breathe when you take this trait (you can take it multiple times). Do not take this trait if you can only breathe an alternative to oxygen. Example of this traits (Anaerobic Respiration "Underwater") are the Antedean species.

Invisible (+6)
    You are invisible to certain means of detection. Choose one form of detection you are inperceptable to when you take this trait (you can take it multiple times). The tests to detect you become a Nearly impossible (15+). Examples of this is invisibility to sensors and tricorders of the Angosian Bio enginered soldiers.

Martial Arts Master (+2 to +4)
    You are a master in your specific martial arts. Treat this as the weapon master trait but for a specific Martial Arts style instead of melee weapon.

No Sleep (+1)
    You need no sleep, but you need to rest if fatigued or when recovering from wounds or an ilness. Examples ot his trait are the Denobulans.

No Food/Liquid (+2/each).
    You do not need to eat or drink. Examples of this trait are the Jhemhadar.

Regenerate (+2)
    The character has an extra ordinary regenerative capability that allows him to regrow limbs or organs. It costs only 2 experience points to reduce or buy of the negative effects of the physical imparement flaw or medical problem by one point.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Quote Originally Posted by IKI View Post
    What do you think of these new traits, and there cost.

Anaerobic Respiration (+2)
    You can also breathe in an atmosphere that is missing oxygen. Discribe witch extra atmospheric conditions you can breathe when you take this trait (you can take it multiple times). Do not take this trait if you can only breathe an alternative to oxygen. Example of this traits (Anaerobic Respiration "Underwater") are the Antedean species.
    The ability to breath more than one atmosphere is very powerful and I would increase the costs to +3. Additionally I would require a very good explanation why a character has this - because normally a species evolves in one atmosphere and therefore needs only to breath that. Otherwise I like the idea.

Invisible (+6)
    You are invisible to certain means of detection. Choose one form of detection you are inperceptable to when you take this trait (you can take it multiple times). The tests to detect you become a Nearly impossible (15+). Examples of this is invisibility to sensors and tricorders of the Angosian Bio enginered soldiers.
    I think I would lower it to +5 or maybe even +4. While Invisiblity is powerful, this trait only covers one means of detection. And I would need clarification on what this exactly means. E.g. do you regard electro-magnetic radiation as one method, or do you differ between IR, UV, Radar, etc. ?

Martial Arts Master (+2 to +4)
    You are a master in your specific martial arts. Treat this as the weapon master trait but for a specific Martial Arts style instead of melee weapon.
    Totally cool idea and long overdue.

No Sleep (+1)
    You need no sleep, but you need to rest if fatigued or when recovering from wounds or an ilness. Examples ot his trait are the Denobulans.
    I would consider increasing the costs to +2 - although of course usually the need to sleep can be easily met, in difference e.g. to classical fantasy stories, where you need to set up guards every night.

No Food/Liquid (+2/each).
    You do not need to eat or drink. Examples of this trait are the Jhemhadar.
    I think this qualifies for +3, at least the trait regarding drinking.

Regenerate (+2)
    The character has an extra ordinary regenerative capability that allows him to regrow limbs or organs. It costs only 2 experience points to reduce or buy of the negative effects of the physical imparement flaw or medical problem by one point.
    I like the mechanism of this trait. However I see a problem with the implementation. This trait costs 8 Experience points - this means a character has to buy four ranks of physical impairments so that the purchase of Regenerate is worthwile. On the other hand I cannot come up with a solution for this.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Smile

First of all, thanks for the quick reply.

Evan van Eyk Wrote:
    The ability to breath more than one atmosphere is very powerful and I would increase the costs to +3. Additionally I would require a very good explanation why a character has this - because normally a species evolves in one atmosphere and therefore needs only to breath that. Otherwise I like the idea.
    Seems resonable. I just wanted this trait to be reserved for as a species trait only, or for some sort of genetical manipulation or implants.

I think I would lower it to +5 or maybe even +4. While Invisiblity is powerful, this trait only covers one means of detection. And I would need clarification on what this exactly means. E.g. do you regard electro-magnetic radiation as one method, or do you differ between IR, UV, Radar, etc. ?
    I was forgetting one important thing, in the ICON system abilities of NPC (or animals) have not a list of traits for all abilities (unlike in the CODA system), if you want to see if a player can find a founder, just make the Personal equipment Tricorder test a little harder. So I only need to make traits that are aplicable and not to powerful for playing characters. What do you think of the following trait.

Invisible to sensors (+4)
    You are invisible to sensors or tricorders, the tests to detect you by these means becomes a Nearly impossible (15+). Example: Angosian Bio enginered soldiers invisibility / Founders Shapeshift ability (Add this to the list of Founders Traits, making it a playable species).

I would consider increasing the costs to +2 - although of course usually the need to sleep can be easily met, in difference e.g. to classical fantasy stories, where you need to set up guards every night.
    I thought this was a +1 trait just because of the same reasons.

I think this qualifies for +3, at least the trait regarding drinking.
    Absolutely, you can go longer without food than without water.

I like the mechanism of this trait. However I see a problem with the implementation. This trait costs 8 Experience points - this means a character has to buy four ranks of physical impairments so that the purchase of Regenerate is worthwile. On the other hand I cannot come up with a solution for this.
    Yes this trait can only be taken as a Species trait, or again genetic manipulation (and you know how found the federation is about those things). I use it with my "Survive at any cost" house rule (see http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?t=14955), so when a character takes this trait I let them pay off their disadvantage in advance. So the Experience point cost problem is solved. I made some changes, tell me what you think of it now:

Regenerate (+2)
    An eye, finger and so regenerates in 1 week / A hand, or foot regenerates in 1 month, and a legg or arm regenerates in 2 month. If the character also posses the Rapid healing trait you have regenerated all body parts when fully healed.
    This trait is best used with the "Survive at any cost" house rule (see http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?t=14955), and let the character with this trait pay off their disadvantage in advance.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Quote Originally Posted by IKI View Post
    Regenerate (+2)
    An eye, finger and so regenerates in 1 week / A hand, or foot regenerates in 1 month, and a legg or arm regenerates in 2 month. If the character also posses the Rapid healing trait you have regenerated all body parts when fully healed.
    Since everyone is different, perhaps rather than setting a set time period for the regeneration we use an extended test? Off the top of my head I'm thinking. . .

Regeneration (+4)
    The character has an extraordinary capability that allows him to regrow damaged or missing limbs and organs. As every individual is different, an Extended Test shall be rolled weekly (Fitness, modified by Vitality). Once the character has aquired sufficent points, the limb or organ has regenerated.

Total Needed to Regenerate
    1 a finger
    8 a hand or a simple non-vital organ
    12 an arm or a complex non-vital organ
    14 a leg
    A dramatic failure would either result in no points added to the total, or the Narrator could rule an infection of some sort has set in.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

How would you handle an Advantage giving extra arms and/or legs, like an Edoan from TAS, or a four-armed guy or even a centaur?

What would be the cost per limb?

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    How 'bout:

Extra Limbs
    The character has more arms and/or legs than the humanoid norm. For each additional Arm, the character receives an extra die to all tests involving Agility modified by Dexterity. Additional Legs provide the same bonus to Agility-based tests modified by Reaction.

Each additional Limb costs 3 points. This Advantage can only be acquired during character creation, or as a Racial Trait, unless the addition of limbs is done through surgical implantation or cybernetic methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    How would you handle an Advantage giving extra arms and/or legs, like an Edoan from TAS, or a four-armed guy or even a centaur?

What would be the cost per limb?
    Someone already covered this and there is a fan trait for it in the Consolidated Tratis List. I believe, if I remember my notes correctly, it is a conversion of a Trait from GURPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Consolidated Advantages and Disadvantages
    Extra Limbs (+1 to +6)
    The character has one, two, or four extra functional arms. The character can perform an additional action each round without suffering a multiple action penalty. Further actions in a round will result in standard multiple action penalties (e.g., +1 to all Difficulty Numbers fro three actions, +2 for four and so on). Off hand penalties still apply. The cost of this Advantage is 2 + 1 per extra arm. Due to the lack of any real advantage, extra legs only cost 1 Development Point, regardless of the number of legs added; the cost of extra legs is to cover the Excellent Balance Advantage inherent to such a body plan.
    The Edoan would have Extra Limbs (three arms, three legs) +4 while the four-armed guy would have Extra Limbs (four arms) +6. The Centaur would only have Extra Limbs (four legs) +1 which automatically gives him the Excellent Balance Advantage.

You know, something this overlooks is that typically multiple legs increases speed. A multi-legged being would be much more stable on their feet so the Excellent Balance is a given, but there should be a speed advantage too. Need to give that some thought unless someone has an idea already.
    Last edited by redwood973; 01-08-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Quote Originally Posted by redwood973 View Post
    Regeneration (+4)
    The character has an extraordinary capability that allows him to regrow damaged or missing limbs and organs. As every individual is different, an Extended Test shall be rolled weekly (Fitness, modified by Vitality). Once the character has aquired sufficent points, the limb or organ has regenerated.

Total Needed to Regenerate
    1 a finger
    8 a hand or a simple non-vital organ
    12 an arm or a complex non-vital organ
    14 a leg
    A friend suggested this change to the Totals Needed to Regenerate:

1 a finger
    10 a hand or simple non-vital organ
    15 an arm or complex non-vital organ
    20 a leg

Any thoughts? I've run a couple tests on the original version and got anywhere from two to three weeks for a hand and three to four weeks for an arm or a leg; these results are without any dramatic results. A test of the suggested changes doesn't really change all that much but might add a week (I had three weeks for a hand and four to five weeks for an arm or leg using the suggested change).
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Redwood, I love what you posted. And I'm a big fan of GURPS. We use a lot of their material.

Any ideas about how to handle Attribute use ? I've heard this is a big issue with some ICON players. Normally, an Attribute is combined with a Skill to beat a Difficulty. But if someone has to use an Attribute with no Skill to bump it up (like a test of raw Strength) then you only get the highest die.

I think I've seen a thread here, mentioning "Troi beating Data, arm wrestling".

How about a Trait for certain characters, or species, that are exceptional in a particular Attribute that would allow a character like Data, or a really strong alien like a Brikar to have an accurately superior attribute.

Has anyone ever written up a trait like that ?

No Fugazi, I've not come across any such Trait. The only think I can think of would be the existing Athletic Ability (+2) Trait which comes closest to tweeking this given issue; however, all this would do would add a die to the pool, so you would still only be dealing with the highest die of the pool.

Best bet would be to just spend the points to increase the Fitness Attribute and a few on the Strengh Edge, but I'll spend some time thinking about Trait to cover the subject and see what I can come up with.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

First off, Strength is only an addition to/subtraction from Fitness, so it should NEVER, EVER be used without Fitness. The idea that a FIT 1/STR +1 character is stronger than a FIT 6/STR -2 character is absolutely ludicrous. The first character has a total Strength of 2, while the latter has a Strenth of 4. That said, I use half the total Attribute + Edge as a skill levell when rolling a pure Attribute roll. If there is a Skill that applies, use the Skill instead. If the character doesn't have the skill, use the non-Skilled penalty. In cases like lifting a weight, the Skill Athletics (Lifting) would only apply inasmuch as it would allow certain types of weights to be lifted, or allow bonuses to the amount allowed.
    Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 01-10-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Owen, I love the idea of using half the Attribute+Edge as a "skill". That should work.

It should give the edge to characters with higher attributes and Edges.

I also like the idea I saw on one of the threads here - there's no way Troi could beat Data arm-wrestling, so no need to roll a Fitness+STR test. Likewise if Data & Riker are trapped in a cargo-bay and the doors are sealed - noxious gasses pouring in - there's no way Riker is going to be able to get that door open.

Riker would know to leave it to Data, as would a player playing Riker. So, no need to roll Riker's Fitness.

The GM could even give Data a little bonus (extra courage point, or something) for the sake of Story. He is Data after all...

But, some people like to roll for everything - "Riker walks across the bridge. Roll Agility to see if he falls down..."

I've played with a couple of players like that. And I've done that myself with a couple of systems where it can really be fun to roll for everything. I don't think it works too well with ICON.

Thanks guys. I've integrated the "extra limbs" trait into my personal listing as two separate traits, 1 for arms (maximum 6 arma, and 1 for legs).