Thread: A question...

A question...

I was wondering... does one have to be a Captain to be the Captain of a Miranda Class Ship?

You mean, have the rank? I'd imagine not, depending on the mission assigned to the ship.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I figured that captain is more of a title and not a rank in star fleet . The officer who is in command of ship has the title of captain /

I believe you are correct toadmage but this also applies to a wet navy as well ..usually the minimum command rank(usually in the USN) is LT. Commander

Quote Originally Posted by toadmage View Post
    I figured that captain is more of a title and not a rank in star fleet . The officer who is in command of ship has the title of captain /
    I thought the officer who is in command of ship is the Commanding Officer (CO).

The CO who does not have the rank of Captain is often called Skipper.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by REG View Post
    I thought the officer who is in command of ship is the Commanding Officer (CO).

The CO who does not have the rank of Captain is often called Skipper.
    Or if the are on a non-military vessel they would be called the ship's MASTER.

Captain is a title, and two ranks in the military. One is the rank of CPT, which is an O-3, and is usually in command of a company (I) or a staff officer in a battalion (II) or a larger sized unit. There is the rank of Capt., which is an O-6, which is equivalent to a Colonel; they command major ships, or are staff in a naval Task Force or larger size command. Then there is the title Captain, which has the non-official term Skipper, much as the rank of First Sergeant also has the non-official term 'Top' associated with it.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry