Thread: A question about Starfleet medical

A question about Starfleet medical

Here's a fluff intensive question for you: how long does it take one to be certified as a "doctor" in starfleet, and how exactly does it work? Starfleet academy follows the standard, four year college plan, and it seems that Star Trek Med School should be at least another four years. So, if one is seeking to go into the medical branch as a doctor, do they

A) Do four years at Starfleet Academy, another four in advanced medical training and then take their duty assignments?

B) Graduate from SFA, become nurses on ships and sort of on-the-job train their way to becoming doctors (though I'd imagine even this would require a return to a Star Trek med school for training, review and vetting process of a year or two).

C) A combination of both above, or maybe some choosing to go with option A, others with option B.

I'm curious for the sake of my players, at least one of whom will probably have to be a medical officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagomorph View Post
    C) A combination of both above, or maybe some choosing to go with option A, others with option B.

I'm curious for the sake of my players, at least one of whom will probably have to be a medical officer.
    Cadets seem to get a lot of on-the-job training, so it's possible they have assignments on ships or outposts during their initial four years. Then there's Starfleet Medical, which might have other off-campus assignments.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry