Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Trek Movie: First Pictures

Wasn't an insult calling it Built By Apple Corp...merely an observation
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Haha no wasn't having a go at you, but as a general thing, people fling that as an insult, and several other people have said the same thing, in a derogatory fashion
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    Haha no wasn't having a go at you, but as a general thing, people fling that as an insult, and several other people have said the same thing, in a derogatory fashion
    It's just particularly ironic in this case...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Talking

I will see this regardless

Why is it always an insult to call something 'looks like apple made it' yea because everyone buys stuff from Apple corp because it looks suck?!
    Is that a rhetorical question or are you seriously waiting for my answer?

--hater of All Things Apple.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    For me that puts it nicely.

I'm not sure if I like that what I see. The sets are too modern to pre-date TOS without contradicting what we have known for years. That's why I'm against prequels. They undermine the original.
    We had the same problem with Enterprise, but I think that was handled quite well. And this issue already occured when they changed the Klingon appearance. I don't have a problem with the bridge looking more modern than the TOS-Bridge, it should just feel right. And for me currently it looks more generic than trek. I there were not people in Starfleet uniforms ( and here's the good thing, I already identify them as Starfleet ), I would not have recognized it as a Trek bridge.

On the other hand it is just one shot, one perspective. The whole might feel more trek if we have complete overview of the bridge and moving pictures.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Reg, well you like D&D, so that follows

Sorry that just HAD to be said :P
    Ta Muchly

Some of the complaints I've been hearing (not here, necessarily) about the bridge make me think of the opposite of that IBM commercial Avery Brooks did a few years back:

"This is the FUTURE!!! Where are the analog dials and toggle switches? I was promised analog dials and toggle switches!"
    Last edited by First of Two; 10-18-2008 at 07:42 AM.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian

And what's wrong with D&D there Mr. Tobian ?

As far as the iBridge goes, I'm willing to give it a chance - Scotty may be an issue with me, however. I'll keep expecting the Winchester or Liz to pop up in conversations. (Shawn of the Dead)

Then there's Thia's little line that floored me about Spock "...my mind to your mind, your mind to my mouth..." (Sorry a little Sylar reference there)
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Talking

Don't forget that I hate Vampire.

Unfortunately, D&D fan community have more than enough iPod users. That and WotC is offering their own Podcast series. Ugh.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    Some of the complaints I've been hearing (not here, necessarily) about the bridge make me think of the opposite of that IBM commercial Avery Brooks did a few years back:

"This is the FUTURE!!! Where are the analog dials and toggle switches? I was promised analog dials and toggle switches!"
    I blame Mike Okuda (the one created Okudagram bridge interface design on his Apple computer).

I swear, if I ever see a label that reads "iPod-ready" or "iPod docking interface" or somesuch, there will be some serious "fonging."

*A tribute to Alan Tudyk on Knight's Tale."

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG View Post
    Don't forget that I hate Vampire.

Unfortunately, D&D fan community have more than enough iPod users. That and WotC is offering their own Podcast series. Ugh.
    You know, you can burn those to music CDs if you really want to : P
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

The pics are not instilling any faith in the movie for me.I think I'll count this movie as a parallel univerise,due to time manipulation.

I like the look of the crew. Kirk and Spock are spot on. Don't know how I feel about the black captain's uniform (not an undershirt according to Abrams). Don't know how I feel about the new, super-bright bridge, either. Can't wait to see how it all looks in the upcoming trailer, though.
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you've read it in the original Klingon text."
    - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Quote Originally Posted by Hirogen Alpha View Post
    I like the look of the crew. Kirk and Spock are spot on. Don't know how I feel about the black captain's uniform (not an undershirt according to Abrams). Don't know how I feel about the new, super-bright bridge, either. Can't wait to see how it all looks in the upcoming trailer, though.
    I can't stand the look of the bridge.It doesn't look like Star Trek to me.Has anyone else thought Urban looks like Gary Lockwood in that shot of McCoy & Kirk.The uniforms are ok,at least they look right(even though its supposed to be set durning the time prior to TOS.)

I like the retro-futuristic look of the new movie:

New Trek Images Now Here!
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=61330