Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Trek Movie: First Pictures

New Trek Movie: First Pictures

Here and here are the first officially released pics from the movie.

The ship design seems more in-line with TOS aesthetics than I'd expected. The bridge looks pretty cool, too–and they have weird desk lights.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Like the uniforms, but what's with the Kirk in Black?
    The bridge design seems very bright, and I think they are trying to make it look more modern that way.
    What's with the angry Scotty in the background, he seemed more layed back to me. Did Chekov always look that goffy? McCoy doesn't seem old enough. Everyone else looks OK.
    Syler/Gabriel as Spock OMG WIN

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    Like the uniforms, but what's with the Kirk in Black?
    It's a standard-issue undershirt for male Starfleet personnel.

We've seen undershirts as part of the dress uniform accoutrement.

The female in the picture (Uhura?) is not wearing the well-known female uniform of TOS, though it could be one of the variants (like Number One was wearing in "The Cage" episode).

And Zachary Quinto is spot on for Spock, even though he seems to be showing his angry human side in that one picture (definitely NOT a Vulcan Nerve Pinch he's performing).

Let's face it, the film has a new message for the new generation of fans: "It's NOT your daddy's STAR TREK."

I feel old.
    Last edited by REG; 10-15-2008 at 10:57 PM.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Here's the USS Kelvin. Two nacelles, arranged vertically.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Wow, they all look way too young.
    Somehow I don't think that's the bridge - don't know what it is though.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

It definitely is the bridge, http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/10/15...rprise-bridge/ . And I don't like the bridge at all. Parts of it remind me of Galactica, but overall it looks to futuristic, to much generic sci-fi, too few Trek. It is very chaotic with some small lights everwhere. Might feel better on the big screen though.

I like the USS Kelvin as such, but find it too modern, looks more like Movie-Era not pre-TOS. I also think the NCC-writing is toooooooo big. It covers half the saucer.
    Anotherthing about the ship: In the frist picture ( the close up of the battle damage ), there are small turrets (?) in the centre of the picture ( above the 5, directly below the IN of Kelvin ). And at least one of them is emitting blue flashes of light - are those supposed to be weapons? Looks strange, because they are so small. Maybe somekind of point-defence?

What I like most is the uniforms. They look great, a nice quote on the original ones, while unique none-theless. Most of the actors are ok, but sorry I don't like Kirk. He simply looks baby-face. Even in the above linked picture, on the bridge, looking "grim", he looks like kid who plays Captain, not a real Captain. Maybe the acting in the motion picture, alonge with voice can change that.

I am less thrilled about these revelations than I'd like, but I am not totally disappointed either. The drawbacks I see in those image are nothing that can destroy a whole movie, so the finished and complete "product" might still be good. Maybe the trailer will give a better impression of the new bridge and Kirk's acting.

UPDATE: I just read on another trek-site, that the black shirt of Kirk is his "Captain Uniform" ( so not the undershirt ) and the colour is supposed to be story relevant...
    Last edited by Evan van Eyk; 10-16-2008 at 03:04 AM. Reason: not wanting to double post
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

It's hard to say, because production stills never look like movie shots, the original sets always looked lame in production photos

I am quite liking the look, but it remains to be seen if it truly jumps the shark, or is actually quite cool. Too early to tell yet!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Here's the USS Kelvin. Two nacelles, arranged vertically.
    Seems to me it would be one nacelle and one engineering section with a deflector dish.
    "Get a life will you people? I mean, for crying out loud it's just a TV show! I mean look at you, look at the way you're dressed. You've turned an enjoyable little job that I did as a lark for a few years into a colossal waste of time. I mean how old are you people, what have you done with yourselves. You, you must be almost 30, have you ever kissed a girl?" - William Shatner on SNL

Cool

wow that's bright....differnt tho...kinda like it
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

And is it just me or does the Bridge look to be Designed by Apple Corp?
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

LOL, yeah by Apple Corp on drugs. But I am willing to settle for the fact that it is just one part of the bridge and one perspective. It might work far better in a total view. And I am going to watch the movie anyway, independet of what the bridge looks like.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post
    And is it just me or does the Bridge look to be Designed by Apple Corp?
    For me that puts it nicely.

I'm not sure if I like that what I see. The sets are too modern to pre-date TOS without contradicting what we have known for years. That's why I'm against prequels. They undermine the original.

Not sure about the McCoy and Kirk actors as well. Kirk doesn't look smart and clever but somewhat like a villain (refering to the still with him in the captain's chair, McCoy beside him and Spock in the right corner of the picture seen in profile...

Well, won't be too disappointed, have no high expectations but will be easily convinced that the movie is good, if there is a decent story line, good acting and some genuin Trek feeling. That's what I hope for the most.

I will see this regardless

Why is it always an insult to call something 'looks like apple made it' yea because everyone buys stuff from Apple corp because it looks suck?!
    Ta Muchly

The bridge looks more 60s than the 60s to me. Just like the iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by TookyG View Post
    Seems to me it would be one nacelle and one engineering section with a deflector dish.
    It's been previously spoiled as having two nacelles, but I don't recall if it was an 'expert source.'

The Enterprise clearly has 2 nacelles, and a very similar form. It was one of the briefs of the creators, that they had to keep the iconic form of the ship, though the interior sets get a makeover.

That's just some other ship, which may or may not be important to the plot
    Ta Muchly