Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [TREK XI] The Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorKnight View Post
    Friendships were strained & some ruined over Enterprise but not over these changes.
    Haha... seriously? : P
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

As Tomcat says, the progression from TOS to TMP makes sense; I have no problem with progress, but retcons, especially needless ones, drive me insane.

I didn't mind the premise of Enterprise or the look of the ship (as a Trek RPG fan from long ago, I thought it was cool to see an almost-Loknar hit the screen). I can even overlook the "phase pistols" being a little too soon technology-wise. My only major tech-problem was the transporter, but even that was a minor point. What really cheesed me off about Enterprise was the ham-fisted treatment of continuity and the "cash-in" factor of the franchise that suppposedly was being held at arm's length; the Ferengi and the Borg being the two most glaring examples. The shame of that series is that there was no real effort to mesh with continuity until the show was already cancelled; season four, you're late!

Some of the disconnects could still be explained away by the intervening 100 years, but this new movie flies directly in the face of established stories.

I will just have to wait and see like everyone else how badly it stamps on continuity. From the premise, it likely won't actually, and I am looking forward to it!
    Ta Muchly

Ok, I've heard a few people toss around hints about the plot of this movie, but somehow I've missed any synopsi (maybe its a subconscious mechanism, like I'm repressing them).

So, can anyone tell me a good place to get the dirt on this film?

www.trekmovie.com has plenty of information. Just look for the posts marked SPOILERS.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I'm following the furor over on the official Star Trek movie forums, and one guy who saw the trailer says that the publicity shot doesn't do the Enterprise justice. He says that the ship looks so much better in action than in that single image.

http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4072

I won't be able to see the trailer 'til it comes out on the web this weekend (since I have my girls this weekend....just can't take them to a Bond flick... ), but the initial reaction is encouraging.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Assuming the Trek trailer is attached to QoS in Canada, I'll be seeing it tonight...

EDIT: although I can't confirm that it is, I know it wasn't attached to the midnight screening last night....
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 11-14-2008 at 02:26 PM.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    You probably want to call ahead to the theater. I learned today that the trailer is playing on only two of the three screens at my local theater.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger View Post
    You probably want to call ahead to the theater. I learned today that the trailer is playing on only two of the three screens at my local theater.
    Well, I RSVP'd to the fbook invite for QoS before I knew the trailer might be attached, so it's not really my primary motivation for going. That said, there was no Trek trailer, as I expected. I was also spared the indignity of being reminded that they're degrading another of Moore's comics...

The movie itself will probably be regarded as a middle-of-the-road installment in the Bond franchise.

trekmovie.com is reporting the same thing about the trailer.

Oh and the posted this beautiful comparison omelgation:

As you can see the Saucer is very much TMP, as is the deflector dish. The secondary/engineering hull has been moved forward, thus creating a look where the deflector dish is several meters forward of its original position, and the end appears to tapper to a finer/smaller portion on the back end. Makes me really curious on how an aft shot looks, and how much attention they have placed on the only shuttle bay.
    As we can all see the Nacelles and the struts attaching are COMPLETELY original, and I am curious to see where the dorsal nacelle mini ruddervators are, as the perspective does not show them clearly, if they are there at all.
    One noticible lacking detail, or maybe I don't see it are the docking ports on the saucer and the secondary/engineer hull.
    The neck looks a lot more heartier/larger than the TMP and the TOS models.
    The livery is not given as much prominence as on the TOS or even the TMP models.
    I'd love to see a silotte comparison. The ReO (reboot original) (or has some other three letter designation been given for this model) appears to be a lot more stout, shorter.

-----------

"shakey cam" trailer
    They've redone the transporter animation!?!
    Last edited by JALU3; 11-15-2008 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags, added link.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

The more I see it, the more I get desensitised, and the more I like it

Can't wait to see that trailer when it's out!
    Ta Muchly

I just saw the trailer.Still have not increased my liking of the movie,it actually decreased my opinion of it.Really think Urban should be playing Gary Mitchell.He looks & sounds like Lockwood.The effects were nice(what they showed.).The bridge shots made it look like the Excelsior bridge from TSFS.The Conn was as wide as the original bridge overall.It may have the name but its not Trek.I'll got to see it,& may like it but its not Star Trek.I afraid though if people got out to really support this vision of Trek we'll be stuck with it till someone at Paramount decides the franchise needs another shake up & we'll get something completly different,that looks even less like trek.On the other hand if it dosen't do well Paramount will pull the plug on the franchise.

On the other hand if it dosen't do well Paramount will pull the plug on the franchise.
    Damned if you do,
    Damned if you don't.

One Point I didn't bring up, nor have I seen commented on yet was the interaction of Kirk/Spock/McCoy was a very important part of the series. However, it is completely bypassed in the trailer. Rather you see a very antagonizing relationship between Kirk and Spock, which on screen never got that violent unless there was a lady involved, if memory serves me.

And who is this villian? What is he suppose to be? A pre-khan? A new species? Do we get to see a glimps of the outgowing crew? A omage to CAPT Pike?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    Damned if you do,
    Damned if you don't.

One Point I didn't bring up, nor have I seen commented on yet was the interaction of Kirk/Spock/McCoy was a very important part of the series. However, it is completely bypassed in the trailer. Rather you see a very antagonizing relationship between Kirk and Spock, which on screen never got that violent unless there was a lady involved, if memory serves me.

And who is this villian? What is he suppose to be? A pre-khan? A new species? Do we get to see a glimps of the outgowing crew? A omage to CAPT Pike?
    Yep.

The villian is supposed to be a Romulan from the post-Nemisis time period who goes back to kill Kirk's father & therfore Kirk too.But 24th century Spock comes back also to save the future & his buddie James T. .The part of the trailer that turned me off was the beginning with teenage JTK crusing around in the desert in a classic Corvette & jumping out as he slid it over the cliff. Jim-boy didn't know how to drive very well but now new & improved Kirk does.(he rides a motorcycle too.)I'm wondering if they are going to ignore Kirk's bestfriend of this time period Gary Mitchell.
    Judging from the scene of JTK looking up at the 1701 during construction it appeares they made it much bigger.Maybe 1701-D big.

On the other hand if it dosen't do well Paramount will pull the plug on the franchise.
    "It's dead, Jim."
    "No! The Aesthetic Reboot! We have to try it! It's the only chance we have!!"
    [He slaps KIRK.]
    "Get a hold of yourself, man! He's DEAD! Do you want this to turn into a Russell T Davies Who situation? Do you? A gutless self-indulgence shambling around with pretty special effects covering the cardboard soul? Let... it... die!"
    [KIRK turns away, to grieve. MCCOY looks at him, then slowly walks out.]
    [FADE OUT]