Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [TREK XI] The Enterprise

[TREK XI] The Enterprise

Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I don't... hate it Kind of has some of the style of the Ralph McQuarrie designs for the Phase II enterprise, but the forward deflector bulb looks a little... hmmm...

It's still got to grow on me but it's not too bad actually!
    Ta Muchly

Im' not too sure about those 60's retro design nacelles. One problem I do see however, is the seemingly style change between the primary and secondary hulls, it looks a little like two ships attached.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I want to see the ship at other angles first, before I can state my exact feelings.

But I realised that Karl Urban reminds me very much of Friend's Joey Tribiani.

It has a truly funky quality that reminds me of that great ad for the Original Series DVD sets. It could be the tricked-out lowrider pimpmobile of starships, with some metalflake purple paint, leopardskin seat covers and a pair of fuzzy dice hanging from the helmsman's station...
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    One problem I do see however, is the seemingly style change between the primary and secondary hulls, it looks a little like two ships attached.

That's exactly how I feel. If I put my hand over the primary hull, the rest looks super nifty. If I blot out everything apart from the primary hull, it looks much like the movie enterprise. The two together just look - odd. Don't hate it but I think I need to see it from some other angles.

Renny

I think it needs more badunkadunk in the trunk.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

So the Saucer appears to be a direct lift of the movie era saucer, but the struts, nacelle and the engineering hull are completely redone . . . they do look stylistically different in so many ways . . . I would like to see more . . . but if this is anything like the iBridge . . . I will have by doubts coming in. Still going to watch it though.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

well....that's definitely a jarring look. Not bad. but different
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I can't help thinking this Enterprise looks very modern, like a more angular Sovereign, but mabe it's just the quality of the pic that gives me this feeling.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I plain & simply don't like it.Really dislike the nacelle design. Seen it on several designs & can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    I think it needs more badunkadunk in the trunk.
    Oh you did not just say that!!!
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I don't like it at all. As much as I love Trek and want the franchise to continue, I have yet to find a shred of hope in anything I see of this "reboot" (in fact, I'd settle for something that doesn't make my stomach drop). An interesting quote from the article under the picture of the ship (emphasis mine):

"If you're going to do Star Trek, there are many things you cannot change. The Enterprise is a visual touchstone for so many people. So if you're going to do the Enterprise, it better look like the Enterprise, because otherwise, what are you doing?"

This looks like the Enterprise how? In the same fashion that the Excelsior, Ambassador and Galaxy class "look" like the Constitution class? It takes a little more that saucer, struts and secondary to "look" like the classic Enterprise.

If you're going to do "new" stories, then do it; but this Battlestar Galactica-esque steal all the names and crap all over established continuity drive me insane. If these writers are so superior to those who have gone before, create your own characters and ships, and have at it.

I agree with Carlson.

I remember when TMP came out and the Enterprise had been changed. It made me wonder a bit, but then I thought the changes looked right... as in, new technology and design.

Anymore, as these writers re-vamp old Trek (i.e. this movie, or even the Enterprise series), it seems they take the 'new' technology back with them and make it available.

I do not like what I am seeing either.

Oh well.

The more I see & hear of the new Trek,the more difficult it is for me to get enthused to watch it.It also strikes me funny,how people drew sabers & phase cannons over the changes done in Enterprise,but they look at this faux 1701 & the things that made TOS Star Trek & think their almost the greatest thing to happen to Trek ever.Friendships were strained & some ruined over Enterprise but not over these changes.