Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek XI trailer

and for those thinking I'm being a bit over the top....remember...this is hollywood.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    True,but that seemed like some kind of anomoly.He obvously had the hots for Rand but never acted on them(even when under the effects of the Psi 2000 virus).It seems like when they are further away from his "inner circle"he wound "indulge himself",but if they were close,like Rand & Uhura,he was hands off.

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post
    I assume that much was said about Ron Moores's Battlestar Galactica...and yet look at the success

The Great Reformatting of Star Trek is here. much as many of us Old Timers might not like it, it may save the franchise, which in the long run will save trek.

Trek has many iterations from Classic (TOS), to pedantic (later TNG, season seven I'm looking at you), creative if dark (DS9), to Insipid (Voyager and Enterprise, except season 4, I really looking at you).

If you must, think of it as alternate timeline if it helps, but I'm willing to give it a spin,,,and I've watched the show since the late 70's .

Frankly, I loved the trailer. It has given me new hope.

To be honest, though, I still have a few misgivings. And those center on the fact that (a) it involves time-travel and (b) Nimoy is in it, playing Spock.

Nimoy shouldn't be in it -- at least, not playing Spock. And the fact that they went for the deus ex machina of time travel in the outset doesn't bode well.

This should be a complete re-boot. The future hasn't happened yet. Anyone could die. And yet now, we see Spock as an old man.

So the ret-conning begins even before the movie is released.

Still...I must say, I like that trailer. It does look awesome.

Seen the second trailer. Can't say I'm overly thrilled.

Please tell me that was a smaller vessel being built on the ground and NOT Enterprise herself. I thought she was contructed in the orbit-based San Francisco Fleet Yards, NOT in San Francisco groundside. Of course that would explain why the workers first trailer weren't wearing airtight suits. I don't mind she was built piece by piece on the ground and later transported up to the orbital drydock facility to begin final assembly.

The part where the boy took a joyride in an "antique" ICE car was okay, except when he answered the cop by giving his full name, including middle name. Not many of us would give out our middle name unless it is simple like Mary Jo or Billy Bob. "James Tiberius Kirk" is a mouthful for a typical kid, about as typical a kid could be who just took a car out for a joyride.

As for the part where Uhura strip to her undies, I don't know if that's to answer every fans' question about Starfleet Regulation Bra.

As I have said it before, this is for the next generation of Trek fans, as if the film speaks, "This is not your father's Star Trek." Nevertheless, I hope that JJ Abrams would inject some intelligence that I have enjoyed in Star Trek mainly in TOS.

P.S. I kinda like the new textile approach to the old TOS uniform.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by REG View Post
    I thought she was contructed in the orbit-based San Francisco Fleet Yards, NOT in San Francisco groundside.
    Nope. Strictly canon-speaking, there's no information about whether or not the Enterprise was built in orbit or on the ground. Just that it had something to do with San Francisco.

(True, we first SAW the NX in an orbital station, but there's no proof it was even assembled there, just that it was apparently finished there. Plus for those who don't "believe" in Enterprise... they can't use arguments based on it, anyway.)

Fanon, sure, but... fanon ain't real. (People forget that a lot, and it's led to a lot of unfortunately unnecessary complaining.)
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I like the trailer for the new film but one can never judge a movie by the trailer. I've seen many great trailers only to be disappointed in the actual film. I'd rather remain skeptical & be pleasantly surprised than be excited & get disappointed.

Good points Fo2 - we have to ignore the fanon, it often gets palmed off as 'true' even though it is no such thing! Even if it does make more sense for it to have been built in space, and we do see orbital spacedock shipyards in the canon!
    Ta Muchly

In the words of Master Yoda, we must "Unlearn" what we know about Trek; this is a NEW version of our show. Where the ship is built will be the least of the changes in store for us. Who knows what STXII (if it is filmed) will have in store for us? Khan is a woman? Harry Mudd a charming urbane swindler? Tribbles as dangerous threats to your biosphere? Klingons as warriors, not schemeing soldiers (oh wait, they better do this one or lose ALL the fans) Trills, Betazoids, Caitians and Deltans all Fed members before TOS?

It's all about to change, for better or for worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Tribbles as dangerous threats to your biosphere?
    They were!

Klingons as warriors, not schemeing soldiers (oh wait, they better do this one or lose ALL the fans)
    Klingons scheme in TNG and DS9 at least as often as they do in TOS. They were just more hypocritical about it.

Trills, Betazoids, Caitians and Deltans all Fed members before TOS?
    Actually, the Trill were known to the Federation by the TOS era, and very well may have been a member.

CANON: WEIRDER THAN YOU THINK!
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    (True, we first SAW the NX in an orbital station, but there's no proof it was even assembled there, just that it was apparently finished there. Plus for those who don't "believe" in Enterprise... they can't use arguments based on it, anyway.)
    Interesting statement. So, by that logic, they're going to assemble it groundside short of finishing and launch it so they can finish it in orbit?

Maybe that's what we should have done to the existing ISS, you know instead of sending one module at a time.

Whether the canon doesn't prove where the Enterprise is being assembled, it would make more sense to have such a vessel constructed in space anyway. Unless it is like Voyager, with landing struts and all.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    In the words of Master Yoda, we must "Unlearn" what we know about Trek; this is a NEW version of our show.
    Does that mean we must learn the new warp theory?

It's like rewriting Einstein's theory of relativity.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Does that mean we must learn the new warp theory?

It's like rewriting Einstein's theory of relativity.
    Considering the old warp theory was "We have magic technobabble crystals that make us go fast," that shouldn't be too hard. Maybe they could work in the Alcubierre thing...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Interesting statement. So, by that logic, they're going to assemble it groundside short of finishing and launch it so they can finish it in orbit?

Maybe that's what we should have done to the existing ISS, you know instead of sending one module at a time.

The word you're reaching for (because you evidently haven't considered it here) is "antigravity."

TOS has it. We don't. Otherwise, yeah, we probably would have assembled more of the ISS on the ground. We launch it in pieces because of weight/cost concerns, not because it's easier or better to do it that way. It's not.

If you have built maintenance docks in space, but not yet built full "drydocks" then it might be easier to build the ship as much as possible on the ground, then do the "shakedown" once you've launched it.

After all, today we primarily build ships on dry land, not in the ocean where they belong... and once ships are launched into the water for the first time, they're often not completely "finished."

(Incidentally, there's at least one Star Trek book that has a ship being mainly constructed on the ground. The one I remember best was built on DS9-Era Bajor. And that was an Ambassador-Class.)
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I have to agree with TK on the warp theory. They just took the idea of a ship running on _____ (coal, fuel etc), and replaced it with dilithium. They ran out at just the right time to add drama, and sometimes they found fuel in unexpected places (like a necklace).

I still have trouble accepting Trills before NG: In "The Host" no one had any idea about the symbiotic relationship going on with Trills. Infact, the Hosts don't even seem to be the same species as Jadzia at all, and neither does the symbiote look remotely like Dax!

But, this isn't about me.

I know there is controversy over this built on the ground/built in orbit. I just wonder why they would build it on the ground; seems like alot of trouble getting it into orbit in the first place. once again, imho.

But First of Two has a good point: we build perfectly sea worthy ships right here on dry land, then run them out to sea. It's hard to build a ship while it's floating in the ocean. Maybe it's easier to build a ship on Earth, then take it into orbit.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    The word you're reaching for (because you evidently haven't considered it here) is "antigravity."
    Oh, like SDF-1 in Robotech/Macross? Did y'all remember what happened to that ship's anti-grav?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan