Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek XI trailer

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    (Incidentally, there's at least one Star Trek book that has a ship being mainly constructed on the ground. The one I remember best was built on DS9-Era Bajor. And that was an Ambassador-Class.)
    Yeah, I stopped reading Trek novels back in the early 90's.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    But First of Two has a good point: we build perfectly sea worthy ships right here on dry land, then run them out to sea. It's hard to build a ship while it's floating in the ocean. Maybe it's easier to build a ship on Earth, then take it into orbit.
    On dry land near water. Not like you're going to fully construct carrier Carl Vinson in Death Valley.

So, does that means Enterprise will have similar landing struts as Voyager? I mean if anti-grav tech is that good in the 22nd Century, then why not have Enterprise planetary landing capability?

The only other plausible rationale I may accept is that they're building BOTH the Enteprise and her drydock facility and will launch both of them into orbit.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Yeah but that analogy is a little flawed Reg.. You likewise wouldn't build the Enterprise in the Himalayas, as getting resources there would be nigh on impossible, for little net gain!

it's quite possible that it's being built in a special cradle, that will facilitate her launch and or go up with her, but it doesn't need too: just because it can launch from / e lifted/carried from Earth, doesn't mean it can 'land' with ease.. The shape of the Enterprise alone would preclude her ability to land!
    Ta Muchly

Voyager's footies don't support its mass. They couldn't. They'd be crushed. They add a minor amount of stability and ground contact to a craft to give it the desired landing capability, supplementing the antigravs.

They also provide for a convenient surface access point. IIRC, the feet had steps.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    Yeah but that analogy is a little flawed Reg.. You likewise wouldn't build the Enterprise in the Himalayas, as getting resources there would be nigh on impossible, for little net gain!
    Actually, you could just transport stuff down.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Blow by Blow analysis of Trailer

Looks like we were wrong about Kirk & Uhura.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/11/19/trek...iler-analysis/
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post

Very interesting. Thanks, Bouncy.

Yes, it was enligtening. Some scenes now make more sense.

Others now make less sense....

And now we know where all the "Kirk loves green chicks" jokes come from.

I noticed the Cannon alerts on some of the scenes. While those are interesting points, I don't think that they apply anymore. Still, they are neat little nit-picks.

I noticed the Cannon alerts on some of the scenes. While those are interesting points, I don't think that they apply anymore.
    Dude, they have Nimoy playing Old Spock.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

So, and Syler is playing YOUNG Spock. It doesn't mean that they are the same Spock that you've seen in TOS and the movies: It's just an older version of Spock.
    Having Nimoy play him is really just a hook for the fans. imho

At least, that's how I'm taking it until I actually see the movie.

At least, that's how I'm taking it until I actually see the movie.
    Well, in that case you get beyond questions of referential continuity into questioning the ontological co-identity of characters from show to show, or even scene to scene, which 'TOS purists' have been doing since the late 80s.

BSG, the Batman licensed franchise, and now Bond, is cover of a song; Orci and Kurtzman, so far, have indicated that the new Trek movie is intended as another act of the same opera, though they've changed the set decor. Practically, yes, it is a window that is not showing you Shatner and Young Nimoy, but as a text it is still implied to be a window to what is the 'same universe.'

Talking

I noticed the Cannon alerts on some of the scenes.
    Whoa. Let's not get violent here. I hope that thar CANNON is not loaded. Arrgh, Matey!

Actually, it's more like watching Drew Carey's "What's Wrong with this Picture" episodes.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    it's quite possible that it's being built in a special cradle, that will facilitate her launch and or go up with her,...
    Ah, but it IS possible. Thank you, no further question. Your witness, counselor.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post

Wait. The bulk of the story will have Kirk as a blackshirted cadet? Or is that just another jumping point (we have seen scenes of Kirk as a mischeivous joyriding kid)?

If the former is the case, then the Chekov (played by Anton) in the Abram's film is the father of Pavel?

Oh, gawd. Can't stand seeing Simon Pegg as a hairline-receding Scotty. Scotty have a good set of hair, man!

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan