Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek XI trailer

Star Trek XI trailer

I have just seen the german version of the new Star Trek movie's trailer at a german yellow press webpage.

Well I am so dissappointed. This is so not Star Trek.

Honestly, this reminds me of a preview of any kind of SciFi pure action movie.

What does a car and a motorbike do in a Star Trek movie?

Call me a prude, if you will, but why has Uhura (I guess it's her) to pull off her uniform top and what for do we need a sex scene in the movie? Does Kirk 'finally' do it with Uhura? Is Star Trek now nothing more than pure mainstream entertainment? I had so high hopes for this movie, but right now, my expectations are as low as never before.

I am massively dissappointed... This'll be the end of the franchise as we have known it for so long, and I fear that the new re-boot of Star Trek will be nothing for me.

Edit: On youtube there's the same material, but in english.
    Last edited by Cut; 11-17-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Cool

I assume that much was said about Ron Moores's Battlestar Galactica...and yet look at the success

The Great Reformatting of Star Trek is here. much as many of us Old Timers might not like it, it may save the franchise, which in the long run will save trek.

Trek has many iterations from Classic (TOS), to pedantic (later TNG, season seven I'm looking at you), creative if dark (DS9), to Insipid (Voyager and Enterprise, except season 4, I really looking at you).

If you must, think of it as alternate timeline if it helps, but I'm willing to give it a spin,,,and I've watched the show since the late 70's .
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

It's pretty. It's fast. It's full of action. It shows a kid shouting "I am James Tiberius Kirk". It has the Enteprise in it.

It looks sooo much not like Trek.

I am not the type to cling to old Trek for the sake of it (actually, I am so much not this that I don't like TOS, but like almost all of the other series, bar a few unfortunate episodes or seasons).
    I don't care much if the Enterprise is painted blue, if Tchekov meets Kirk before the sacrosaint canon says so, or if Amanda Grayson changes hair colour.
    But I do mind if I see Trek survive at the price of becoming a sort of Star Wars where the Force and lightsabers relabeled as mind melds and phasers.

I know trailers are deceptive, but what this one shows me seems to be a movie made by someone who thought "My, the ships in Star Trek are cool! I will do a movie with them! What are the name of the main characters of the favourite season so I can drop them in the script to appeal to Trekkies ?"

We had Kirk riding in Generations and climbing in ST V, and these are far from being my favourite movies. I'm a bit afraid of what a movie where Kirk drives has to offer.
    (Note: this comment is a joke, but my concerns are genuine)
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I think I am quite positive after seeing it. Actually that's an understatement, I think I had a nerdgasm LOL. Sorry I am just not finding that much negative to say about it. Visually it is doing something Trek has FAILED to do for a long time, send a shiver down the back of my spine of how outstandingly epic and huge it really is.

Plot wise, we will have to wait and see.

Future of trek: Who knows, but then it was practically dead anyway, so with luck this could be the spark of life it needs!

PS: If you haven't seen it, watch it in HD from Apples site.. visually, it will make your jaw drop.. even though you will have to freeze frame it just to see how awesome it is!
    Ta Muchly

for the life of me I'm trying to figure out the incredibly huge asymetrical buildings in the background
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Ok, I'm starting this post before I watch the trailer (a friend at work told me that there was a new one, and I knew it would be posted here).

From the sound of it, it's heavy on action, not so heavy on Trek stuff.

Ok, Going to look now:

So actiony! Sorta like a Mission Impossible looking movie, in space, with alien races from GR's classic show.

But, I know I'm going to watch it!

Oh, And I think those bulidings in the night shot are some sorta shipyard, BC.

I'm inclined to think so...but judging from the distance on the horizon, they are archology size

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post
    I'm inclined to think so...but judging from the distance on the horizon, they are archology size
    Yeah, they just look like arcologies. They do sort of resemble some of Soleri's original designs, too...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    What does a car and a motorbike do in a Star Trek movie?
    Provide exposition-through-action of Kirk's character?

Call me a prude, if you will, but why has Uhura (I guess it's her) to pull off her uniform top and what for do we need a sex scene in the movie?
    Because it's Kirk, dammit! He has sex! With women! Did anyone really think he never made a pass at her over five years?

I am massively dissappointed... This'll be the end of the franchise as we have known it for so long, and I fear that the new re-boot of Star Trek will be nothing for me.
    Look, I think Fringe sucks, but it wasn't as bad as Voyager. Trek's been through a lot worse than another aesthetic refitting.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Hi guys,
    just popping in to say a quick "Hello" and "Merry Xmas" to everyone before I return to exile.

Just on those buildings, I just watched the Season 4 DS9 episodes Homefront and Paradise Lost yesterday and I swear you could see them in the background at one stage (in France, I think). I'll have to have another look tonight...but I'm positive I remember them off to the left of the Eiffel Tower in one establishing shot.

Re: the trailer. AWESOME!

I'm so excited about this ST movie - more than any for years, actually. Just to reassure those who are concerned...hey, you can never tell anything about a film's story or plot from a trailer. Go watch a trailer for Wrath of Khan or Undiscovered Country or First Contact and you'll find the same thing. Lots of action sequences, explosions and combat, and precious little about the story.

I personally love the look, how they've managed to blend TOS-style with less dorky visuals.

Anyway...see you guys in a while.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

I'm excited. Honestly the biggest problem I had with Star Trek was complete utopia, having more fighting with Spock and Kirk makes sense early on - he was an anomoly in StarFleet to begin with on a human ship. We know there was animosity between the logical Vulcans and the radical humans. I'm glad Pike is going to be in it briefly, and I am very excited that this might boost the franchise into something other than what it has been recently. Honestly, the new stuff I have liked because its better than going back and watching the original BSG or ST that I can't hardly watch anymore - but loved growing up.

I'm excited. I might be let down, but I'm trying to stay optimistic.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

and when I saw the buildings...I was reminded of this artists work

http://www.chrisfoss.net/

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Because it's Kirk, dammit! He has sex! With women! Did anyone really think he never made a pass at her over five years?
    No he wouldn't because he was her commanding officer.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorKnight View Post
    That hasn't stopped him before...

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorKnight View Post
    this is true...but If what I'm guessing is going on with the black uniform....he might not be at the time of the movie (sorta a evaluation period). and that leaves his Horndogness a loop hole. but I digress.

Anyway, new film has potential