Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The glass is half full!

The irony of all of this is we have no idea how things in the 23rd century will look like. Back in the 60's, it was dials, knobs, computers the size of houses, big tv screens.
    In the 80's, it was buttons, slide controls, computers that sat ontop of tables and smaller digital screens.
    No, its touch screens, computers that fit in your pocket and holographic displays.

If, for the sake of argument, we do get into space by the 23rd century, they might not have ANYTHING like all of the instrumentation we have imagined for them.

To put it in another context: we are like people from the Victorian Era imagining 747's powered by huge steam engines, since that's the only form of motive power we can conceive of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    The irony of all of this is we have no idea how things in the 23rd century will look like.
    Probably a lot like the 70s, actually.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Probably a lot like the 70s, actually.
    EEeewwwwww! You weren't even around for that horror - how dare you wish it upon us again (Bell-bottoms anyone?)
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    EEeewwwwww! You weren't even around for that horror - how dare you wish it upon us again (Bell-bottoms anyone?)
    Well, they'll probably get most of the details wrong. If that's any consolation.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I'm sure that years from now someone will write an episode about Steve Jobs was really an El-Aurian who travels around the universe making things look shinier which explains the wacky visual ret-conning.

In the original timeline, iPhones looked like this.
    Steve Jobs killed Captain Kirk!!!
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    The irony of all of this is we have no idea how things in the 23rd century will look like. Back in the 60's, it was dials, knobs, computers the size of houses, big tv screens.
    In the 80's, it was buttons, slide controls, computers that sat ontop of tables and smaller digital screens.
    No, its touch screens, computers that fit in your pocket and holographic displays.

If, for the sake of argument, we do get into space by the 23rd century, they might not have ANYTHING like all of the instrumentation we have imagined for them.

To put it in another context: we are like people from the Victorian Era imagining 747's powered by huge steam engines, since that's the only form of motive power we can conceive of.
    I don't mind they conceive future tech like touchscreen (which is pretty much here today). But from what I see on the Abrams film in the trailer, it just not visually appealing.

Although I hate to use iPod in my argument (yeah, you know me), isn't that why people prefer it rather than Sansa Fuze or MS Zune or Creative Zen?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by REG View Post
    Although I hate to use iPod in my argument (yeah, you know me), isn't that why people prefer it rather than Sansa Fuze or MS Zune or Creative Zen?
    Because it looks like what the future looked like in the 70s.