Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The glass is half full!

The glass is half full!

I, for one, am looking forward to a reboot of the franchise. As a kid I loved Star Trek, but as an adult I find it hard to get into the campy, non-continuity story. Even DS-9, which has quite a bit of serial storyline has many disjointed "kinder side of sears" episodes thrown in and others filled with technobable that I just don't get a kick out of anymore. I have grown up alot sense the days of watching TOS with a toy in my hand, and I need more from my entertainment.

I know, many folks will not feel this way and that's fine, embrace what you love. I am just really hoping for a good movie that will breathe fresh air into the franchise and keep it alive, in a new fashion, that will continue to pique interest and inspire people. The new Batman, Spiderman, and more importantly BSG are all redone and done very well (especially the first and last IMO).

Just thought I should open a thread for optimistic folks who want this to succeed. By the way, I am definitly NOT a half full kind of person.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

I'm just concerned that any continuity reboots (as opposed to aesthetic reshaping) will be some stupid 'we changed the timeline so, there's actually two different star treks now' thing. I'm cool with making it look prettier. I'm not cool with turning it into a Marvel Comics situation.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Well on one hand, I would be glad to have Trek being finally rid of its loads of contradictory canon it carried over its 40+ years of existence, which means that it has become now almost impossible to write a new series which will not contradict some already established canon (mind you, one way to do this would be to push the storyline a few hundred years forward and have every other series being only some distant memory of the past).
    On the other hand, there are a lot in the existing series which I like. Having them being erased and become the Sci-Fi version of "It was all a dream" would be a bit cruel for me. Not to mention how many fans would turn away from it - after all, there were already a lot of fuss between TNG and TOS fans, and they were supposed to be the same universe.
    And finally, I'm a bit afraid that a new Star Trek, free of everything from the original, would not be a Star Trek at all, but a Sci-fi series which happens to use some Trek aliens and technology, and none of what made the series original in the first place. In other words, some sort of "Battlestar Trek".
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ramey View Post
    Just thought I should open a thread for optimistic folks who want this to succeed. By the way, I am definitly NOT a half full kind of person.
    "Half full" is not the term I would aptly describe or associate with you.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

me either lol
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

Why is everyone's assuming it's a continuity reboot? Orci and Kurtzman have been pretty open about their intent for it to be a direct continuation from the previous series.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

As a continuation from Enterprise? or TOS?

Personally, Enterprise should be just ignored at this point, and the less said of Bermaga Trek said, the better.

I prefer a reboot and start over with it's own continuity, otherwise, this is an exercise in 'this is what trek would have looked like if it started now'
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post
    otherwise, this is an exercise in 'this is what trek would have looked like if it started now'
    Thing is, that's exactly what Abrams, Orci and Kurtzman have been saying it is : P

And there's a reference to Admiral Archer's prize beagle, so I guess you're going to be disappointed on both counts...

Hrm... How in hadies do they explain the crazy new technology and such then? They are trying to play both sides... Oh well. I still hope for a good movie.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

Hrm... How in hadies do they explain the crazy new technology and such then? They are trying to play both sides... Oh well. I still hope for a good movie.
    There's not really any new technology on display (except for the time-travel ships, I guess).

The hot new displays? The different Constitution design?
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

The hot new displays? The different Constitution design?
    That's not really 'new tech,' just 'different set designer.'

I sure didn't see holographic displays in anything "later" so no, its really different I think and should be portrayed as such. That's my take of course, but oh well. Seems silly to say, no this is what 1701 always looked like.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

I sure didn't see holographic displays in anything "later" so no, its really different I think and should be portrayed as such. That's my take of course, but oh well. Seems silly to say, no this is what 1701 always looked like.
    I'm sure that years from now someone will write an episode about Steve Jobs was really an El-Aurian who travels around the universe making things look shinier which explains the wacky visual ret-conning.

In the original timeline, iPhones looked like this.

It's simple: no one believes anymore that the controls and bridge of a spaceship from the 2300's will look like they were made for the 1970's.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook