Thread: Brief History of Tolkien RPGs

Brief History of Tolkien RPGs

A Brief History of Tolkien roleplaying games

http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2008/11...kien-rpgs.html

Very interesting read.

Thanks for providing it, Jem'Hadar!

Yes, it is an interesting read. I find his argument that Tolkien had to have some influence on the original D&D quite convincing. If you had never heard of D&D but had read the LOTR trilogy & then picked up a D&D Players Handbook, you would definitely see the similarities.

I can also see the influence of the LOTR movies on recent versions of D&D & other fantasy RPGs, esp. when it comes to imagery. In some fantasy RPG books that came out after the LOTR movies, I can see the influence of the movies in the way elves, dwarves & orcs are depicted in these RPG books, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem'hadar View Post
    Yes, it is an interesting read. I find his argument that Tolkien had to have some influence on the original D&D quite convincing. If you had never heard of D&D but had read the LOTR trilogy & then picked up a D&D Players Handbook, you would definitely see the similarities.

I can also see the influence of the LOTR movies on recent versions of D&D & other fantasy RPGs, esp. when it comes to imagery. In some fantasy RPG books that came out after the LOTR movies, I can see the influence of the movies in the way elves, dwarves & orcs are depicted in these RPG books, for example.
    It inspired I think the shift on elves in the 4th edition.
    the roads goes ever on..... so buy a volvo!

"don't tell the elf"-Gimili at the Hornburg LOTR TTT

What about second breakfast?- Pippin, LOTR FOTR

"My precious"- my treo 700 phone/PDA

Some of which aren't even that subtle! (Eladrin anyone? I mean, seriously. They, what? switched two letters around?)

Yes, it is an interesting read. I find his argument that Tolkien had to have some influence on the original D&D quite convincing.
    I'm really hoping this is an ironic understatement.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I'm really hoping this is an ironic understatement.
    Normally, I would have intended my statement to be ironic, but I understand that Gary Gygax once denied Tolkien had any influence, or very little influence, on D&D.

Bahaha, well it's bad form to speak ill of the dead, so expletive deleted It's clearly influenced
    Ta Muchly

Even if it wasn't conscious, it was influenced. There's no way there are so many blatant similarities. I mean, I know Tolkien based his stuff off of myths (where they would have had to have gotten their influence, if not from Tolkien), but still.

Normally, I would have intended my statement to be ironic, but I understand that Gary Gygax once denied Tolkien had any influence, or very little influence, on D&D.
    Well, Greyhawk and reports from Gary's game definitely have more of a Lankhmar/Dying Earth feel to them, but LotR was probably the template for thousands of D&D games since Gygax wrote it. Plus... you know. It's got Elves.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry