Thread: [TREK XI] It's a frakking marvel-style timeline reboot

[TREK XI] It's a frakking marvel-style timeline reboot

Bob Orci pulls a Lucas, I reconsider my enthusiasm and then lay out my philosophical and thematic objection in comment 646.

What the hell, guys. What the hell.

If you wanted a BSG-style reboot, I would've objected on philosophical grounds (Moore's BSG is already a Trek reboot) but I could've agreed with the reasoning. If you wanted a re-polish 'that always looked that way' I would've been fine as well–not everyone is as into retro 60s SF design as I am (although The Clone Wars is still using keyboards designed by Ralph McQuarrie in 75, and a certain blue box hasn't changed much in the last fifty years). But instead we get this mess, or at least the beginnings of it. Assuming there's no Temporal Self-Incursion magic pixie fix at the end (And you were there, Uncle Spock, and you, and you...) every damn movie afterward will need a frakking disclaimer on the wiki page to figure out where it's from. I have no idea how Memory Alpha is going to deal with this...

This is the kind of thing that makes a guy want BSG-style reboots.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 12-13-2008 at 02:19 AM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Brain...bursting.....takes forever to say nothing.....[read this part in 'Nomad voice']ERROR...Faulty....ERROR! [imagine me exploding]

Ok, so, now every time travel event causes an alternate universe? (Thanks alot, Voyager!) While it's good to see that a lifetime of comic reading has prepared me to work in Quantum mechanics, I reeeeally dont like where this is going.

Although it does give them an 'out' if they change their mind about things. (meanwhile, back in Trek-verse Prime....) But as a marvel guy, I can tell you where this will go next: CROSSOVERS! Some how, some way, they will start haveing 'cross pollenation' from one alt-verse to the other.

But, this really just seems like a way to have their cake and eat it too: you can make a scifi action film that will appeal to the masses, call it Trek, and if the Trek fans baulk at it, you just say "oh, the characters YOU love are still there, just in an alternate reality."
    Bad medicine, me no like!

Tricky, you summed up my thoughts better than I would have.

I don't consider myself much of a sticker to continuity, and I think actually Trek's continuity has become far too much cluttered for its own good, but I'm not very much in favour of a complete reboot either. But what I'm sure of is that adding a new continuity is not the way to go...

So, what does this guy say anyway ? Yeah it's a reboot but actually no since the original universe still exists somewhere but eventually this new one will merge with the other while still not being the same...
    In other words : it's a Sci-Fi movie with Trek written over it, and we've found some technobabble explanation as to why it is still called Trek.

Next time we'll probably have "Star Trek : A new hope", about the adventures of the rebellion against the dreadful Romulan Star Empire and its psionic minions. It will be set up in an alternative universe created by Sulu accidentally kicking the Guardian of Forever, but it will still be Trek, of course, because it will have George Takei in a cameo, and at one point in the movie someone will say "shields up", you see.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Being into Trek in the last decade has felt kind of like gaming with one person you like, their friend who's okay, and five or six other people who totally kill the game with inane questions and lame jokes. And there's the dude you used to game with but who left for their much awesomer group that you hear stories about, while you occasionally reminisce about that one great campaign you played in years and years ago, before it all went to crap.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Of course, that's what "nostalgia" is.

Of course, memory is tricky.

You remember the "good ol' days," and it doesn't really matter whether or not the days were actually "good" by any ultimately objective evaluation.

Like I had a grandpa who was all nostalgic for the postwar era "good ol' 1950's"
    "Yeah," I said, "good ol' segregation, commie scares, Korea... etc."

Re: Time travel & different universes.

Well, last I heard (and I hear fairly often), the only way to get around the exisential paradox inherent in time travel is if every trip back DOES create a new timeline, so... yeah. The you who DOES travel back in time has to come from the timeline where you DIDN'T, and return to the alternate timeline where you DID.

This requires mental gymnastics, but it makes sense.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    Well, last I heard (and I hear fairly often), the only way to get around the exisential paradox inherent in time travel is if every trip back DOES create a new timeline, so... yeah. The you who DOES travel back in time has to come from the timeline where you DIDN'T, and return to the alternate timeline where you DID.

This requires mental gymnastics, but it makes sense.
    Yeah, but you start multiplying infinities with infinities once you can move from one possibility to another possibility. Since physics (real physics) doesn't really provide an actual out for the grandfather paradox, Trek's multiple linearity fragments don't actually mesh all that great with the literal-MWH that Orci is referring to in the article.