Thread: Story-arc planning...

Story-arc planning...

Ok, as my name is Moar_TNG my episodes will be placed in this timeframe for the most part.

Now, as an outside observer who has seen The Whole Picture, I know for a fact that the Borg were "known of" in Archer's time, they may or may not have been known in TOS/Movie times depending on what the El-Aurians refugees that the E-B picked up might have mentioned... They may have been known pre-TNG (depends on when the Raven left) and after that well then it gets ugly.

Going to start this story around the time of Encounter At Farpoint, and two of the players are going to play characters on assignment from Starfleet Security/Starfleet Tactical looking for evidence of the "Bio Mechanical Race." They aren't taken seriously for awhile, up until the Enterprise-D encounters the destruction along the RNZ... then things kick into high gear after the encounter at J-25...

I want to "end" this story arc at the Battle Of Wolf 359. I'm thinking about putting the players on an old refit 3-engine Dreadnought that has been in service from Kirk's time but has been refitted along the way.... currently it is slated for retirement at the end of the decade to be replaced by a new-build Akira class ship.

Couple of questions before I start hammering this out: is there any on-screen evidence for the wreckage of a three nacelle ship in the Graveyard scene? I seem to recall there was. If so, then our ship gets destroyed. If not then the ship manages to survive somehow but at extreme personal cost.

Second, Minos. I'm going to tie that to the Borg. The Minosians managed to get ahold of some Borg tech and it wiped them out utterly (Echo-Papa drones anyone?) Aside from the one canned adventure anyone do anything with Minos, canon, novel, game?

Third: well I'm distracted at the moment doing some CAD work and I forgot the third thing.

Anyway thanks for your comments/insight.

Sounds interesting.

I have no real love for three nacelled vessels (aside from the Future Enterprise D) so I won't comment on that [any more than this].

Quote Originally Posted by Moar_TNG View Post
    Second, Minos. I'm going to tie that to the Borg. The Minosians managed to get ahold of some Borg tech and it wiped them out utterly (Echo-Papa drones anyone?) Aside from the one canned adventure anyone do anything with Minos, canon, novel, game?
    I personaly like the TNG timeframe best and The Arsenal of Freedom is one of the episodes I have rewatched most often. I have included trips to Minos in my Star Trek campaign aboard the Starship Atlantis (named the ship waaaay before the Stargate Series! Search the forums ) and I have sent my PC to gather knowledge and possibly some weapons to be put to use during the Dominion War. I have never had the thought of linking the place to the Borg though, as my enemy of choice have been the Romulans from early on and after LUG Trek the Taurhai (see your hopefully now opened Romulan Boxed Set for more on those!). I haven't really included many Borg encounters in my games over all these years...

If you have more on this, keep it coming!

Well, my take is this: The Minosians managed to aquire a bit of Borg technology (we'll call it an adaptation sequencer until I come up with something better) and they based the Echo Papa drones off of it. The Borg come in following the "signal" that their technology generates and they swoop down on Minos to recover the bauble.

A brief one-sided battle takes place and the Borg ship is severely damaged, they get a taste of their own medicine this time, they have to fight an adapting weapon system. The cube does manage to get the upper hand though. Now it is sitting in orbit, and it needs more drones.

Now the Minosians being the technosmiths they are have adapted the basics of Borg technology into quite a bit of technology... and when the Borg activate their "recall signal" to locate the missing adaptation sequencer they discover just how far things have gone.

Deciding that they need to get their item(s) back and they need drones for the ship, they mass-beam up the population of a region as well as strip several cities for raw material.

For whatever reason the assimilation process doesn't intially take, so the Borg have to beam up more people, and more people... until they get it right.

I'm imagining that this happens quickly, in the span of a week or less. The Minosans are unable to/unwilling to call for help, either out of fear of "unhappy customers" seeking revenge on them or they figure they will eventually get the upper hand.

In the end the population of the planet is stripped away leaving a few functional devices that the Borg deemed irrelevent, including a partly functional Echo Papa emplacement.

Now, at this point in TNG the Enterprise crew knows NOTHING of Borg technology or operational methods, they are just concerned with the loss of the Drake and getting the hell out of there in one piece.

Later on someone higher up reads the reports and the sensor logs and makes the connection with the Borg based on what is in the ultra-secure databases so far... and they dispatch the Players to gather more information.

Just some ideas at this point, needless to say not all of this would make it into an RPG Episode... but this is how I brainstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Moar_TNG View Post
    Now, as an outside observer who has seen The Whole Picture, I know for a fact that the Borg were "known of" in Archer's time,
    Assuming you're playing in a "post" FC/TCW timeline... : P

Going to start this story around the time of Encounter At Farpoint, and two of the players are going to play characters on assignment from Starfleet Security/Starfleet Tactical looking for evidence of the "Bio Mechanical Race." They aren't taken seriously for awhile, up until the Enterprise-D encounters the destruction along the RNZ... then things kick into high gear after the encounter at J-25...
    In case you want to meet the Borg before that, there are certain options...

Couple of questions before I start hammering this out: is there any on-screen evidence for the wreckage of a three nacelle ship in the Graveyard scene? I seem to recall there was. If so, then our ship gets destroyed. If not then the ship manages to survive somehow but at extreme personal cost.
    You mean the Niagara-class?

It's components look Ambassador-class-ish, so it might be a little later than the 'dreadnought' you mentioned.

I'm planning a series around the "Shadows of Yog-Sothoth" campaign set in the Lorenze Cluster, and modeling all other the planets off of places from LEXX. I don't know if that helps, though : P

In your game, Minosian survivors/refugees/exiles/weapon designers captured by the Tal Shiar might have knowledge of Borg tech beyond that of Starfleet. The Omega Device from the canned adventure might instead by some sort of Omega Particle-based Borg lure, with the 'doomsday weapon' aspect an unintended side-effect.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

[QUOTE=The Tatterdemalion King;171610]
    You mean the Niagara-class?

It's components look Ambassador-class-ish, so it might be a little later than the 'dreadnought' you mentioned.

[quote]

Hm. Possibly. Maybe I'll put the crew on the Princeton.

In your game, Minosian survivors/refugees/exiles/weapon designers captured by the Tal Shiar might have knowledge of Borg tech beyond that of Starfleet. The Omega Device from the canned adventure might instead by some sort of Omega Particle-based Borg lure, with the 'doomsday weapon' aspect an unintended side-effect.
    Looking through the book real quick, prehaps the Omega Device was activated as a final "failsafe" which took out the cube AND it wiped out all the higher-order lifeformes. Instead of being unactivated like in the canned adventure, we could discover that it was already triggered.

The device destructed 99% of the active technology on the planet and prehaps some kind of quick-acting nano-deconstructor dissolved the humanoids to prevent them from being assimilated. Remember, these folks are hard-core weapons experts they could have been fully aware something like this "might" happen someday.